Highlighted
Nov 18 2009
By: Reverend_M Treasure Hunter 6846 posts

The Do's and Do Not's of Home

65 replies 88 views Edited Nov 18, 2009

I see a lot of differing sides in the community regarding proper Home Etiquette. Most of it regards either n00bs (aka defaulters; people who keep mostly default settings/clothing), pervs, rude people, and possibly glitchers.

The community is of HUGE importance in whether or not Home grows and succeeds. So I figure we can have a thread to help each other out with what to do, and what not to do in home. Those who wish to be uber serious and flamatory/immature by saying, "I'll do what I want, who are you do tell me what to do." You can chill right now. If you're not into being friendly, then Home really isn't for you. I will not hesitate to report flamatory posts to a mod to have them removed if it will keep this thread clean. This is meant to be friendly and somewhat light-hearted while offering advice. Anyone can join in to offer advice on how to remain friendly on home and keep the community from going down the gutter.

+++++

Do NOT dance on people
--It may be funny to you, but many find it offensive and aggravating, even to the point of finding it to be a form of harassment. Give people their personal space,Unless the person doesn't mind. And do not automatically assume they don't mind.

Do NOT be rude to strangers
--They may not matter to you, but they're real people and deserve respect. Also your actions represent the rest of us, and we care enough to hunt you down and shun you publicly if you are giving us a bad name! If we must make you "disappear" like Mr. Phunrooner, we shall ska you to virtual oblivion till you are no more.

DO give people a chance
--First impressions are not always representative of a person's general personality. If someone's first statements are rather obnoxious, don't automatically shun them. They may not see it as obnoxious. Let them know by either telling them nicely, or changing the subject to something you'd like to chat about instead. Try to be humourous . . . humour seems to snap people out of a lot of things:
"You NOOB!" you reply "Don't you mean 'n00b'?" or "I know. It's terrible. I'm the KING/QUEEN of noobs! . . . Can you teach me?" or a simple "Hey insert PSN here how are you? Did you see ________ in the theater?" or something completely random that will completely throw the person off: "Aw, I LOVE you!!" (say that at your own risk: side effects may be unintentional affections from the receiver or fear-based report)

DO be kind when faced with . . . uhh . . .

--An example: I was sitting on the park bench chatting with a friend of mine when Mr Who's the Boss (never expected to see him in home) showed up and proceeded to sit down facing my crotch. My reply? "Tony, please? Cut it out." His reply: "I want my mommy!" while continuing to make inappropriate gestures. I then reply in my kindest of voices, "Okay, Tony, hows about this . . . You can stop . . . or I report you." the guy got up immediately. Of course he did it to my friend but we repeated the process and he stopped. Minutes later the little fella showed he just wanted some fwiends and sat down on the bench and listened as we chatted. No harm done, We got results, without busting a blood vessal! And the guy learned he could be reported, and also learned he didn't HAVE to act up to be social! Go figure!!

DO crack a joke when conversations are interrupted by dancers

--You call it harassment and irritations. We call it entertainment. Getting danced on? "OW   insert PSN dancer's name here , you're punching me in the face. That hurts!" or even "Wow . . . you're a great dancer, I wish I could dance like you! Can you teach me?" Again, change the subject, get his/her mind off of what they intended. Humour does this. Involve them in your conversation even though they don't know what in the world you're talking about. Soon they'll either leave, or show that hey . . . they ARE a decent person! If they continue to dance even after all this, simply move your avatar a comfortable distance. Chances are high with their mind now distracted they won't move closer to you but merely have their avvy on auto pilot dancing.

DO say Hi to strangers

--If you're chatting it up with your friends and someone is standing within a distance facing you/your group . . . kinda creepy, stalkerish staring while remaining silent, Say "Hi,  insert PSN creepy person's name here !" Then continue with your conversation. This will most likely startle the person that they've been noticed! It makes you seem friendly, and also has a chance of doing several things: The creepy person will run at the knowledge they've been caught. The creepy person will start chatting too, only to find they're bored and move on soon after. OR you will find that the creepy person was really just a very shy person who ends up being a great guy/gal. You now have a friend, or at the very least you have somewhat broken a person out of being shy (ever so slightly perhaps), AND you've shown yourself friendly!

Do NOT feel the need to add strangers

--You most likely may find strangers sending you friend requests. Do not feel the need to add everyone in the attempts at being friendly. You can be friendly without adding people. Perhaps your FL is full. Perhaps you don't even know the person and therefore wouldn't feel very comfortable adding a potential stalker or someone you'd not really hang out with. It's your discretion to add or not to add, but don't feel obligated to add. If you wish not to add, no need to be rude, simply ignore the FL for a day or so (or hours) then delete the request. Chances are high the person won't even notice because they simply requested you somewhat randomly and don't even remember you after a day! If you wish to be a kind person, simply reply to them (via the request, or in home itself if the person is there) letting them know you reall don't know them well enough to add them to your friends list or you don't think you and he/she quite click as friends to hang out. Be kind about it! With the copy/paste functions available now, you can even keep a message with what you want to say, and copy/paste it into the friend requests if you attract dozens a day.

Do NOT feed the Rude People (JPConway)

--No need to be monkey-see, monkey-do and return rudeness with more rudeness! 

Ex: I was in the theater on one of my other accounts. I was in full screen watching the video when I noticed in the text box a person rudely yelling at me to move, resorting to name calling. I exit out, turn and look for the person who did it, and replied, "Oh, I'm in your way? Sorry 'bout that." I thought I was already out of everyone's way, but I moved to another place, entered fullscreen mode and continued watching. The person then quickly changed his tune and said it was okay, and thanked me for moving. Instead of arguing and being rude back, this quickly settled the problem, no harm done, and everyone got to watch the video without problems!

+++++++

Most obnoxious people in home are doing it for attention. Show them they don't need to act that way for attention, and poof 9 out of 10 they'll cut it out and have also learned something! And all in the process, you do not end up being rude and unfriendly yourself. I mean really, do you want to let others in home turn you into them (by being rude/obnoxious/unfriendly/flamatory yourself due to their actions)? Don't be monkey-see, monkey-do! And the problem with an eye for an eye, is that everyone ends up blind!

I hope this message has helped you, whether you're a new Homie, or an Old Homie! Feel free to offer some additions that you feel would make the list, either things you think of, or things from your own experiences!

Let's make Home the BEST community a console can have!

Message Edited by Reverend_M on 11-18-2009 01:56 PM
"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 13 of 66 (88 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Re: The Do's and Do Not's of Home

Nov 18, 2009

Oh - and Please Do NOT Feed the Rude People.

JPConway

Message 1 of 66 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Nov 18, 2009
Very well stated Reverend!
Message 2 of 66 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5465 posts

Nov 18, 2009

JPConway wrote:

JPConway

Ha!  I was thinking that when I read this. 

side note - does anyone remember the 5 D's of dodgeball?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 66 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Nov 18, 2009

JPConway wrote:

JPConway

Any further elaboration, would you want me to add it to the first post?

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:
Very well stated Reverend!

Thanks

killla_that_dude wrote:

JPConway wrote:

JPConway

Ha!  I was thinking that when I read this. 

side note - does anyone remember the 5 D's of dodgeball?

**Rememers childhood**

Dodgeball is an evil, evil activity! Reminds me of this video @ 1:10 and onward Dodge Brick - Tim Hawkins

Message 4 of 66 (88 Views)
Wastelander
775 posts

Nov 18, 2009

Rev, do you have any Cliff Notes for these Do's and Dont's?  That's too much to remember!  LOL.

Message 5 of 66 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Nov 18, 2009

X-CONDA-X wrote:

Rev, do you have any Cliff Notes for these Do's and Dont's?  That's too much to remember!  LOL.

Here you go. Google provided me with this. It's hot off the press.

Message Edited by Joanna_Dark_ on 11-18-2009 10:23 AM
Message 6 of 66 (88 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Nov 18, 2009
Haha, guess that solves that question, Eh Conda?

Message 7 of 66 (88 Views)
Wastelander
739 posts

Nov 18, 2009

X-CONDA-X wrote:

I think it comes down to, "Do unto others as you would wish to be done to, even if you would never be such an idiot as the others seem to be."

Message 8 of 66 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Nov 18, 2009

Do NOT pass GO!

Do give me $200!

But seriously, nice addition to the forum, Reverend_M!....Hopefully newcomers will appreciate the advice and come to like Home as much as we do

THE HEARTSNATCHERS ARE NEAR.....I CAN SENSE THEM!!!!

Message 9 of 66 (88 Views)
0 Likes