Ok. So the nay-saying needs to stop. Why? Because which personal spaces have updated in the last year? Last two? At all? Right. (This is update #2 and the space only came out last year). The only real loss is the Candle Game, and only because of the unique item you got for winning it--a full-costume for your avatar that was actually DIFFERENT for male and female. (So yeah, missing that.) The Poltergiest Puzzle Box was never a huge deal for me because it had a very annoying glitch that made me use it sparingly: anytime you placed a puzzle piece on a furniture item that wasn't part of the original space, like, a table you put there from your own inventory, it would spawn UNDER that item as soon as you re-entered the space. I do miss my flying knives in the Kitchen and Books in the Library, but eh--no biggie.
With that said, after running around the space for about 3 hours (and inviting friends to really get the activity going), I have compiled a list of stuff that has changed (and also stuff that hasn't, or has possibly improved minutely).
Things you notice first:
1) When you enter the space, you spawn INSIDE the house on the compass rose (Great Seal), instead of in front of the porch before.
2) If you own the space, you receive a new item: 'Mysterious Librum'--a hand item for both male and female (a mysterious book that won't open). None of my friends reported getting it. Although that doesn't mean they didn't. We were too busy testing stuff.
3) The mirror in the Main Hall now has 'Help Me' scrawled across it in glowing, ectoplasmic text.
4) The Poltergiest Puzzle Box is gone (meh)--as is all the painstakingly placed puzzle pieces (ok, THAT was annoying).
5) The door to the Locked Room is now covered in chains and padlocks, with glowing green fog rolling from underneath.
6) The 'Mouldering Manuscript' is missing from the Library, so no Candle mini-game (for now, anyway. I speculate that if it doesn't return, then the 'Necronomicon' furniture item may become the Game Launcher--the item received in the last update was the 'Necronomicon Pocket Edition', so... yeah. Maybe).
7) The Scarecrow is gone--and the corn has mutated, you'll find out why in a second.
Things that suddenly jump out at you (some times literally):
8) Candle ghosts no longer randomly take a swipe at you (though they still appear floating around the grounds)--the Lord and Lady now manifest for a split second as you make the rounds or they sometimes flash in front of the screen FULL-SCALE (depending on the size of your TV, this could be a PANTS-CRAPPING moment) before disappearing. (There actually may be three ghosts who do this. See below.)
9) The child spirit, introduced in the last update as a creepy, disembodied laugh coming out of the well, now randomly appears as a full-apparition when you enter the house (or cross the Great Seal). If you're fast enough, you can get a good look before it disappears in a swirl of glowing green orbs. (I think it may be a girl).
10) The 'Help Me' text on the mirror erases and re-writes itself. While you watch. Nice.
11) While inside the house, mainly in the Library and adjoining Drawing Room (though I think I saw it from the Kitchen window too), you may see a black shadow run in front of the window from the corner of your eye. This is the Scarecrow. He is loose. (Run. OMFG.)
12) Whatever is inside the Locked Room will randomly throw itself at the door as you pass. This also, is a potential pants-soiling moment (especially if you have the volume turned up to catch the ambient noise--as it's LOUD).
Other stuff that you might miss:
13) Walk to the cornfield. Now run towards the front of the house (not all the way, sometimes you only need a few steps). Now run back. From the closest edge of the cornfield, watch for a figure running through the corn (you may have to run along the fence to follow him). This is the Scarecrow, making a dash for the cliffs (with the camera zoomed all the way in, I watched him go all the way PAST the edge). Incidentally, it's better to watch from this distance than to see him outside the window. *shudders* (Thanks Dan, for spotting this and proving that I wasn't crazy). ^_^
14) The 'mouse holes' are gone. At least the one in the stairs is. I haven't looked for the others (next to the kitchen hearth, and in the secret passage). Someone who has can corroborate this. I'm not interested enough.
15) A friend claims that, while we were watching the Scarecrow run through the cornfield, that he could see the empty cross he was once mounted to, and also, that the corn cobs themselves (not the plants, just the fruit) appear and disappear (like the corn is maturing/ripening). I didn't see this, but we are on different servers so it could very possibly be true.
16) This is kinda off topic, but it seems like furniture targeting is almost back to the way it was. You can target furniture from the outside and from upstairs, just not sofas or seats. Everything else is game, though.
And stuff that's the same:
1) The Crying Lady still appears, both as her shadowy self and as a flash in the mirror.
2) You can still hear the child ghost's laughter in the well, although it seemed like I got more of it and some of my friends didn't hear it at all
3) The painting in the Informal Dining Area that controls the weather is still there and still does so.
4) The child spirit's ball can still be found milling around and you can still kick it. (And it still get's lobbed at windows and breaks them).
5) The ambient sounds are still the same, although I did turn down the ol' stereo after the first Locked Door incident, so...
For those interested, I invited 3 of my friends to Cutteridge to see if the Locked Room would well.. unlock. (The door had 4 padlocks on it, so.. me + 3 friends = 4). It didn't work, even when we Grouped. Hopefully, this update is still awaiting content, and we'll get into that room soon. Suppositions?
You're welcome. I was very impressed with all the updates, once we figured out what they were. I hope the puzzle box stays gone and they keep the new stuff--just throw in the ghost outfits for free and make Cutteridge a clubhouse (because I will totally buy it again, just for that). That will make most of my friends happy--none of them could win the stupid outfits and it took ME forever and I own the thing.
Oh, and I totally recommend bringing people in. The more the better. The hauntings happen like clockwork!
Nice collection of info, pheonixgate1! Here are a few things you may have missed.
- Visitors to space dorecieve the Mysterious Librum reward.
- Having the full 12 users in a space at once does not reward you with anything.
- The mirror supposedly had "Help Me" appear on it before, but on much rarer occasions.
- Entering the kitchen now can sometimes result in all the cupboard doors flying open and shaking, along with the flames in the fireplace turning green.
All in all, I like that Cutteridge Estate is evolving, but I'm worried that some of the new clues may conflict with the story I'm writing for the contest.