Treasure Hunter
3895 posts

Re: The Auroralite Contraption

Jul 6, 2013
:^/ Why are we bumping a year-old thread?
Message 21 of 26 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
13273 posts

Jul 6, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:
:^/ Why are we bumping a year-old thread?

Obviously they did a search and this is the thread that came up. They asked a question in a appropriately titled thread.

And the problem is???

Sure, they could've made a new one. Questioned answered. Done.

Question is, why did you post when the question was answered.

Message 22 of 26 (128 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2013

It's a lose/lose situation.

If someone makes a new thread someone will inevitably tell them that: "there is already a thread about that, do your research, add it to appropriate thread. <insert link here>

If they do a search and find an appropriate title that is too old. "Why are we necrobumping an old thread? Old thread is old. Blah. Blah." 

The whole thing just makes me <sigh>

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 23 of 26 (115 Views)
Fender Bender
3272 posts

Jul 6, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:

If someone makes a new thread someone will inevitably tell them that: "there is already a thread about that, do your research, add it to appropriate thread. <insert link here>

If they do a search and find an appropriate title that is too old. "Why are we necrobumping an old thread? Old thread is old. Blah. Blah." 

In many cases, this is true.  If I'm not mistaken, moderation actually prefers new threads be made now rather than necrobumping.

The reason being that an old thread may contain outdated info, that could confuse newer users.  This is a flip-flop from the rule on the old forum.

Message 24 of 26 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

Jul 6, 2013

Tease3211 wrote:

JulianMatisse wrote:

In many cases, this is true.  If I'm not mistaken, moderation actually prefers new threads be made now rather than necrobumping.

The reason being that an old thread may contain outdated info, that could confuse newer users.  This is a flip-flop from the rule on the old forum.

I believe you are correct, but flip-flopping rules leads to inconsistency between moderation and veteran users and also causes confusion (especially for new users). <sigh>

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 25 of 26 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
229 posts

Jul 6, 2013
[off topic]
The forum guidelines say to search to see if a question has already been asked, or if a conversation has already been posted on the topic. If the moderators didn't want old threads brought back, they would lock them at an arbitrary age and they would revise the guidelines they tell all users to read.
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions/Rules-of-Conduct-amp-Forum-G...
Home spaces in heavy rotation (where you're most likely to find me): Southern Island Hideaway (1 treasure left to find), Acorn Park, Serenity Plaza, Aurora, Pottermore (all public spaces and Hufflepuff Common Room. I am always willing to do trivia on the Hogwarts Express), Peakvox Labs, and Sodium spaces.
Message 26 of 26 (82 Views)
0 Likes