Aug 09 2013
By: Shadow-Runner Survivor 2039 posts
Accepted Solution

Tempest_Fire 13+ Discussion

[ Edited ]
218 replies 934 views Edited Aug 10, 2013

Dear Tempest...

In a previous thread, you asked a question which I feel deserves some discussion. You said:

"I've been watching this discussion for a long time now (not just with this item, but the suitable 13+ content discussion).  What I've never discovered, though, is what source material you guys are referencing when deciding if something is appropriate for 13+.  Are you leaning more toward PG-13 films?  Is it more genre specific and you're looking at T - Teen ESRB ratings?  I'm curious how you're defining 13+.

I'm not really proposing any stance, just getting a piece of clarification I've always wanted when wathcing this discussion."

So what do we mean when we say PG-13 in regard to Home? Im sure you will get a variety of opinions on that question...but im here to give you mine, to start off with.

From MY perspective...13+ material and content on Home should always have the best interest of children in mind. Some of us with kids of our own, who ARE parents would never let our children be exposed to things of an adult nature. Of course, parental discretion will always be on the table...but no "decent" parent would want their children seeing naked people, half naked people, or anything of a sexual or semi sexual nature, including harmless, playful innuendo. Now, Im sure most would agree that the primary responsibility SHOULD fall on the parents of these children and how they choose to regulate what they're being exposed to. Some parents would rather ban their children from going on Home, to avoid sensitive exposure to adult themes. And thats fine. Thats their prerogotive to do so. But when you let developers create, advertise and market virtual content that promotes "sexual themes" "alcohol consumption" and "gang related accessories" well....we kinda have to take a step back and ask ourselves..."what message are you trying to send, here?"

For nearly 5 years now, PlayStation Home has boastedthe "Family Friendly" tagline. But instead, what we've seen as time has progressed...is developers trying to push the envelope further and further from the general definition of "family friendly" to a gradual transition towards "adult friendly." To answer your question, my idea of a family friendly version of Home (suitable for children 13+) would be just like Free Realms. These are children you are marketing to, not just adults. Keep it clean, keep it safe and keep it fun.

Now, if it is your intention to allow the developers this kind of free reign and imaginative creativity with their adult themed material...thats fine too. Dont get me misunderstood. I am an adult, myself...and I would LOVE to see Home turn completely toward the adult audience, in full on fashion 18+ and over.This would be a dream come true, for me. LOL. But in doing so...you seriously NEED to consider dropping the family friendly tagline and adjusting the age restrictions and requirements for Home. And you NEED to make yourselves CRYSTAL CLEAR which audience you are marketing to and what your moral and ethical bounderies are. You dont make a Budweiser commercial showing a guy chug a can of beer and have the catch phrase be "Aaaah, refreshing and fun for the whole family." NO...you dont want that. You want to make yourself clear that your product is STRICTLY just for adult consumption. 

I'll give you a few examples of some of the adult themed products I've seen on Home. The scantly clad Brimstone dancers, that closely resemble strippers. The English and Irish Pub, that clearly show the lables of the alcohol bottles behind the bar; Tequila, whiskey, vodka, etc... Body paint for clothing, GoGo shorts with cheeks hanging out and ridiculously busty tops that look like they're about to explode. LOL. Scarfes, rags, sagging pants showing underwear and assault rifles...all of which totally promotes gang activity and behavior, from my perspective. Im sure the Bloods and Crips really appreciated all that. LOL. Then theres the latest addition to Home, the new V-Swimsuits which...dont even look all that appealing, to begin with. If they were designed to enhance or increase sex appeal or look "sexy"...I could halfway understand. But these things are just Gawd Aweful to look at (BOTH male and female)....and I know Im not the only one with THAT sentiment. All that said, in the same vein...when you had the bikini's that would show naked avatars, last year...you guys patched that up REAL QUICK. So it's okay to show near naked avatars, leaving little to imagination...but it's a travesty to let us show full naked avatars? We just dont understand what youre doing and why you people cant make up your minds which extreme youre going with all this. 

Im telling you, right now Tempest...if you guys think you can combine adult themes with 13+ children on board and not expect to ruffle a few feathers from a few disgruntled people...you got another thing comin. I wouldnt send my 13 year old son to Neverland to go play with Michael Jackson. I would send him to a park to go play with other children his age. I dont know HOW you folks thought letting kids play with grown men and women in the same virtual environment, online...was a good idea. But you need to take that one back to the drawing board. Why do you think we made such a big deal about the "Craigslist" version of the Activity Board in the HUB? People soliciting for sex and prostitution, dating and cyber playmates. It wasnt until you people saw it was making headlines on the news, that you decided to pull it! Funny how it was never a big deal when dozens of us RIGHT HERE were making a scene about it. 

Im not trying to come down on you or the developers, Tempest. I applaud them for their creativity. But you guys need to decide what Home is, who youre marketing to, who your primary audience is and where youre going with all this. Collaborate with your team and bosses and get back to us on this, please. Cuz a LOT of us are scratchin our heads tryin to figure out what you folks are doing, over there. I've said all I had to say on the matter. If I havent made my point among all this...then I fear noone will ever reach you with how we feel about it. 

Now, I leave this thread for others to share their thoughts and opinions on the matter. All I ask is that you listen to what we have to say and how we feel, take into consideration that perhaps some changes DO need to be made...and by all means, Tempest...please feel free to drop us a line with some feedback. Im sure we ALL would appreciate to hear your point of view and thoughts on all this. 

-Shadow

Edit: Your beloved community spokesmen and MVP's have spoken for the general population and most dont seem to have a problem with adult themed content being marketed and sold to children 13+. To that I say - WOW. Just wow. However, I urge you to consider raising the age restrictions to 16+ for Home or at least pass the idea on to those who would have more control over the issue. The OP has quite a few kudo's...so I know some people out there likely agree with my perspectives to some degree. I am not alone in this and this issue will come up again, Temp...you know it will. 

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 1 of 219 (934 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Re: Tempest_Fire 13+ Discussion

Aug 9, 2013

Warning: OP's large and bright text might trigger seizures in some

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Message 2 of 219 (920 Views)
Sackboy
236 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

I placed this in the Borat swimsuit thread, but I am afraid it will get buried so I am reprinting it here. 

OK call me a prude or whatever you want, but I am sorry no offense nDreams those outfits are definitely not appropriate for 13 year olds. I have granddaughters with one who will be 13 next year. There is no way in the world I will let her be on Home.These really are not outfits for young eyes fun or not. And people don't start telling me they see worse at the beach, because they don't. We are their influences and we should care what they see.

When I started on Home 4 years ago it wasn't too bad. There were some people with the nasty language every once in a while, but now things are getting out of hand! 

Both of my granddaughters would watch me at the dolphy races. I named my dolphys after them and they loved watching them. The last year and a half though I have stopped letting them watch, and it is because of the outfits, and the actions of  the people on there. They ask me why they can't watch anymore and I tell them I am sorry , but it has changed with some things that are not good for kids. They so loved to watch me and even liked talking to my friends, but not anymore.

They need to raise the age requirement and make it 18 and older, just like they have on games and movies. It is no longer family friendly.

I will also tell my daughter if she gets a PS3 or inherits mine to never allow her kids on Home until they are well over the age of 18!!

Sony you need to change the age requirement  for people to go on Home. It is no longer age appropriate for young teens. It is not sending them a good message at all. Or moderate Home much more than it has been.  Just like regular games have age guidance so should Home.

By the way don't get me wrong I love Home I just think it has gotten to where it is no longer appropriate for young teens period!!

Message 3 of 219 (898 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Alot of these people make me laugh, they get on developers for content that avatars, not real life people, "AVATARS" wear. Think of other games that have such content or worse content than Home does. Hell look at the Looney Toons cartoons, Porky Pig...Think about it...go ahead I'll wait....

Parents are responsible for what content their children see, no one else, but now days when ever something goes wrong the parents go "Video games are to blame" or "TV / Movies are to blame" or "Music is to blame"

GIVE ME A BREAK !!

Parents STOP being lazy and do your jobs, if you see something that you think your children shouldn't see, don't let them see it, lock them out like you would certain channels on TV, if there is a game they want but the ESRB rating is too high for them, don't let them get it. Don't blame the indistries for things that YOU are responsible for.

Message 4 of 219 (881 Views)
VP of Gaming
34136 posts

Aug 9, 2013

its just a silly virtual swimsuit. everyone just calm down.

Message 5 of 219 (874 Views)
Sackboy
236 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

I'm sorry but  it is also companys job to make it age appropriate when they say 13 and up.! Parents can't be with their kids 24/7 so don't go starting blaming it on the parents. They believe these companys when they put an age restriction on there, so don't go there about parent policing.

I still would not let my 13 year old granddaughter go on Home I DON'T CARE IF IT IS VIRTUAL. IT still is not appropriate for young teens!!!!

Message 6 of 219 (867 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

the_original_se

"its just a silly virtual swimsuit. everyone just calm down."

TODAY it's a virtual (near naked. you forgot that part) swimsuit. Tomorrow it's nIppIe tassles and whips. 

Where is the line drawn, SE?  At what point do we say "enough is enough"?

Think about it....

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 7 of 219 (861 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

Aug 9, 2013

duchessban1

Good point. 

"Some content may not be suitable for children 13 and up. Parental discretion may be advised."

You see this quote a lot on movies and TV shows. The same phrase could easily be used and tacked onto some of this material and content that gets released on home. 

Message 8 of 219 (830 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Indistries have always made content for people from ages preschool to adult, but they are not / never have been / never will be responsible for what your children do, that the parents job, no more no less. if you can't be with your kid 24/7, then they need to be either in daycare, school, with a legal guardian or a responsible babysitter.

No I don't have kids yet, But when I do, I'm taking responsiblity like I should, if I see something on TV or listen to something on the radio I don't want them to, I'm blocking the channels, if my child is say, 13, and he wants a game thats for 17+, I'll tell him no, and if he gets the game behind my back and I find out about it, I will go to a tree, pull off the biggest switch I can find, BEAT his scrawny little a** and take the game back to the store, and if they got the game from a friend, OH WELL.

My kids will learn when their parents say no, they mean NO. 

Indistries didn't bring the children into this world, parents did, which makes them responsible. End of dicussion !

Message 9 of 219 (825 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
236 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

Sorry but you are not getting what we are saying! Home says it is family friendly and for 13 and up!!!! BUT A LOT OF THEIR CONTENT IS NOT FOR YOUNG TEENS. So quit saying we are not doing right by our children or grandchildren. Yes it is up to the companies to keep it age appropriate if they say it is for 13 years and older!!!!!! I have always with my children and grandchildren watched what they look at. That is why I told my grandchildren they can't watch me on Home anymore. Sony is saying their content is OK for 13 and up which if you look at what they are allowing  now is not!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 219 (811 Views)