Feb 13 2009
By: Matakage Sackboy 415 posts

Stop being brainwashed. This is what Home was supposed to have been:

115 replies 26 views Edited Feb 13, 2009

I don't know about you guys, but when I originally heard about Home and how cool it could possibly be, it had nothing to do with "meeting new people". Go ahead and try this yourself. Make a list of all the things you'd hoped for in Home when you first heard it would be released.

Here's my list of things I looked forward to:
- A real, walk-in Trophy Room with 3D models of my accomplishments.
- A personal space where I could meet up with the people on my friend's list and jump into a game, talk, or play mini-games together.
- A large, detailed, fun environment where I could check out all of the cool things Sony and other third-party developers were working on.

Things not on my list:
- Dancing.
- Meeting new people.
- Harassing 3D models of women.
- Playing with a bubble machine.
- Waiting to play pool.
- Playing dress-up with my avatar.

Perhaps your list is similar to mine! Now that we have Home, I think we're getting a little brain-washed and forgetting our expectations. NONE of us wanted "Second Life" on our frickin' PS3. I wanted Sony-World plus Epcot Center and fireworks going off every night. I could care less about meeting fellow gamers. I already have my "real life" friends on my list, and most people online are just annoying kids anyway. And isn't this all about money, anyway? For god sakes, sell me something and make it pretty to look at already. There should be giant 3D models of Sony plasma TV's hanging all over the place selling me Sony things. Have you ever been to a Sony store in the mall? It looks nicer and is more impressive than what Home looks like. That's sad since Home is a 3D environment where anything can be made. So that's it. Let's not lose track here. Home's main focus should not have ever been meeting new people and dancing with them. It should be about you the gamer stepping into an awesome virtual world of Sony's design where all of the gaming and technical marvels are there to behold.

Home should be a non-stop party in Sony's honor. It should be like an E3 celebration where all other game companies realized they're awful and Sony had full reign. We love Sony and we love Playstation. We love it's past and we love it's future. Where are the statues of our iconic Sony mascots, like Kratos and Ratchet and Clank? Why is there no classic PS-One room? A lot of us have so much love for the old stuff. How's this for a mini-game: We all sit down, we're shown a screen shot of a random PS1 game, and we all guess the game. Whoever guesses the most correctly wins. Would that even take 1 megabyte of space? Do you know how popular of a game that would be? My god.. You could do the same thing in a PS2 room, too. Show us what we love. Put posters on the walls of the best selling games for those systems. Put posters on the walls of the current best selling games on PS3! Put a list of release dates for the next month, PS3 and PSP! I mean, come on here! It's so obvious that we like Playstation video games, yet the big debates are about "girls not getting enough clothes" and other "virtual life" related crap. Seriously, this is pathetic. This was supposed to be about video games. I hope I can open at least a few of the eyes in here.

Message 1 of 116 (26 Views)
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Re: Stop being brainwashed. This is what Home was supposed to have been:

Feb 13, 2009

One of the things I advocate is that it's never a good thing to follow a game before its release; you're almost always going to be disappointed. There are a couple of major reason for this.

First, and internally; during the course of a game's development cycle, it naturally changes and evolves as the desire and/or vision of the development team shifts. Sometimes the publisher asserts its will over the development team as well, often in the form of a deadline. 

Second, and externally; during the course of a game's development cycle people tend to build up their expectations, very often based on conjecture or rumor as a result of the fans mistaking words of the development team. 

I'm sorry that Home isn't what you wanted it to be. Though this phrase made it onto one 'Most annoying phrases' list or another... it is what it is.    

Message 2 of 116 (26 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1191 posts

Feb 13, 2009

Relax, man, the thing has been out for less than two months and is in Beta stage. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I, for one, appreciate Home for what it is at the moment and look forward to watching it progress and grow, which has been and will continue to be little by little.

I mean a little over two months, but still, not very long.

Message Edited by Spidey817 on 02-12-2009 07:58 PM
Message 3 of 116 (26 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6286 posts

Feb 13, 2009

Spidey817 wrote:

Relax, man, the thing has been out for less than two months and is in Beta stage. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I, for one, appreciate Home for what it is at the moment and look forward to watching it progress and grow, which has been and will continue to be little by little.

Ha ha. I like your Rome analogy! It was funny. True and funny! Come on OP, give it time. I bet you will see your 3D trophy room someday

http://www.chaselester.com
Message 4 of 116 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
415 posts

Feb 13, 2009

Spidey, you should notice something right away: Look at your signature. You're listing all the high-tech gadgets you're into, and you're exactly what I'm talking about.

Let's say I drew a line on the ground. All of the "virtual life socializers" can dance on the other side, and all of the people who are into Sony products and video games can stand on my side.

You'd be standing right here next to me.

Message 5 of 116 (26 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8824 posts

Feb 13, 2009

I agree with alot of what you said but and I quote "Harassing 3d models of women" I hope that's saracasm. Sony is working on alot of those things its just taking time patients I'm sure you got things to keep you busy?

Message 6 of 116 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
415 posts

Feb 13, 2009

The main point of my topic is to point out the fact that there are a lot of people like me who want the same things I want. And worse yet, many of these people have just accepted what they've been given and forgotten what they wanted in the first place. I really just wanted to remind those people that Home should be a celebration of all things Sony and Playstation. After all, we all have one thing in common: We own PS3s. PS3s are expensive and the libraries of other systems are very tempting at times. It's safe to say that the majority of us love Sony.

I'll tell you one thing, though -- I know what complaining is, and I know what constructive criticism is. I will be offering ideas about the future of Home and I hope everyone evaluates them objectively and rationally, just as I'd evaluate anyone else's ideas.

Message 7 of 116 (26 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8824 posts

Feb 13, 2009

Matakage wrote:

The main point of my topic is to point out the fact that there are a lot of people like me who want the same things I want. And worse yet, many of these people have just accepted what they've been given and forgotten what they wanted in the first place. I really just wanted to remind those people that Home should be a celebration of all things Sony and Playstation. After all, we all have one thing in common: We own PS3s. PS3s are expensive and the libraries of other systems are very tempting at times. It's safe to say that the majority of us love Sony.

I'll tell you one thing, though -- I know what complaining is, and I know what constructive criticism is. I will be offering ideas about the future of Home and I hope everyone evaluates them objectively and rationally, just as I'd evaluate anyone else's ideas.

Yes and no, because home is also about relaxing when you had enough of gaming. Not just "all day all night party" so to speak because home is always daytime. Yea I get ya or to sum it up in all one room a Sony Musueum.
Message 8 of 116 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
566 posts

Feb 13, 2009
Gotta agree man. It really should be like a Playstation Disney World. I like the fact that you use the word celebration b/c thats pretty much what it should be everytime we're in Home. Eventually, I think all the stuff you're talking about will come to fruition, we may not be alive to see it, but it'll happen...Haha. I think people like you & me are just kinda shocked that its only at about 10% of what it could be. Upon release I was expecting at least somewhere around 50%, as in, I thought there'd be more spaces like the EA Complex ready to use from launch. I had no idea this would be the launching pad after 2 years of development. I think thats where the disappointment lies with most people at this point. But hopefully next month, the EA Space releases on time and gets things rolling a little faster in the right direction.
Message 9 of 116 (26 Views)
Sackboy
415 posts

Feb 13, 2009

I also think it's important to mention that while Home is still in beta, it is at a very important crossroads: one path leads to "social networking" and the other leads to "sony related multimedia". There is a limited amount of time and resources that the developers have, so watch what you ask for. Do you really want more clothes, or do you want a billboard with release dates of games? Do you want more furniture for your personal space, or do you want more video previews of games coming out?

Advertising is also very important to the future of Home. We WANT companies to want to advertise here. If they see Home as a place where gamers go to learn about all the new stuff, they will want to advertise, they will pay for more rooms for us to enjoy, and they will show us more cool stuff. If they see that Home is just a social-networking world where players are more concerned with their interactions with each other, they will not pay for more rooms for us to enjoy. Think about that.

Message 10 of 116 (26 Views)