Fender Bender
3844 posts

Re: Spending less money on home this year

Jan 5, 2011

One thing I started doing is waiting two weeks before buying things unless I just know they are things I want. Some things you know you want right away (dragon's lair costume and festivus pole for me), and you get those without regret because they have a meaning to you. Wait two weeks on the rest. You'll find that you buy far fewer spaces and items.

Message 21 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Jan 5, 2011

Back_In_Brown wrote:

Art_of_Ronin wrote:

Or as they put it Freedom of Speech and Power to the People or consumers.  Let it be heard and we can't stay in the dark, so to promote a better future with our words.

If no one buys anything, that is not a better world. They may align with you and you can be proud of starting the movement that lead to no more stuff to buy and the closing of Home.

Be careful what you wish for.

if people dont buy a product, the "manufacturer" will see to change the product to meet the consumers need.

if Home were to close because they failed to meet the consumers needs, well then its their own fault for not listening to the community.

and fyi, Home wont close if people stup buying stuff.

Message 22 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Jan 5, 2011

jin-zou wrote:

NA Home makes enough ugly items to try to take your money away.

Just use the golden toilet and gold suit for example. $15 for some useless *******. I rather go buy some real designer stuff.

I've never been suckered into items that are overpriced in Home and never will.

a $15 Gold suit and a $1 IREM item is the exact same thing. If anything, more work and detail was put into the IREM item than that gold suit.

I don't care what you brain washed people say about it being "gold" or animated, that that's still junk. It's a pixel and you don't physically own it, especially when it's digital gold. Anyone who is gonna try to argue back about this needs to get a smack in the head and snap back to reality. Take a moment to turn off your PS3, step outside your house for 5 minutes and tell me if you still feel the same.

49 Games at 100% or Platinum out of 77 Games

Thank you so much. The gold suit is one of those items I mentioned before that I purchased right away, and I do not regret it. It is people like you, and their reactions in Home, that have made my $15 gold suit worth the purchase. I've gotten at least as much entertainment out of it as any three movies I have seen in the past year just from laughing to myself at people getting so upset about something so silly.

So keep it up, you guys are what makes it all worthwhile.

PS- As I have said in a previous thread; I don't smoke, drink sodas, eat candy, buy bottled water, or dine out often. It cracks me up that people that spend $15-$20 a week on things like that, get so upset over a one time purchase of 8 virtual items for $15.

Message 23 of 32 (37 Views)
Survivor
2604 posts

Jan 5, 2011

Back_In_Brown wrote:

Art_of_Ronin wrote:

Or as they put it Freedom of Speech and Power to the People or consumers.  Let it be heard and we can't stay in the dark, so to promote a better future with our words.

If no one buys anything, that is not a better world. They may align with you and you can be proud of starting the movement that lead to no more stuff to buy and the closing of Home.

Be careful what you wish for.

Hey, all I am saying consumers/customers/end-users can voice opinion and so can you by letting the corporation/business know what we want or alternatives to make it better.

As the saying goes "everything travel thru grapevine and from a word of mouth to promote a service that is good or bad from friends to friends.." in the customer service/retail world.  If you happen to like the service provided by a retail and of course you would promote it to your friends or family members to shop there, but if is bad then let it be heard too so the next person can avoid the bad service and perhaps letting the business establishment know what they have done wrong and to improve it.

There is no way people will stop buying, but its the service that the consumer received being poorly given will be the means of an end to that business establishment and for the consumer to move on to something else better and continue the trend of spending else where...

----------------------------------------------
"I present you facts, not sugar coated fiction..."

"Art imitate life, life imitate art..."

"To live through an uneventful day from sunrise to sunset, is the most precious that one can ask for..."

"You create the world of the dream. We bring the subject into that dream and fill it with their subconscious." - Dominic Cobb
----------------------------------------------
Message 24 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jan 5, 2011

tdarb wrote:

jin-zou wrote:

NA Home makes enough ugly items to try to take your money away.

Just use the golden toilet and gold suit for example. $15 for some useless *******. I rather go buy some real designer stuff.

I've never been suckered into items that are overpriced in Home and never will.

a $15 Gold suit and a $1 IREM item is the exact same thing. If anything, more work and detail was put into the IREM item than that gold suit.

I don't care what you brain washed people say about it being "gold" or animated, that that's still junk. It's a pixel and you don't physically own it, especially when it's digital gold. Anyone who is gonna try to argue back about this needs to get a smack in the head and snap back to reality. Take a moment to turn off your PS3, step outside your house for 5 minutes and tell me if you still feel the same.

49 Games at 100% or Platinum out of 77 Games

Thank you so much. The gold suit is one of those items I mentioned before that I purchased right away, and I do not regret it. It is people like you, and their reactions in Home, that have made my $15 gold suit worth the purchase. I've gotten at least as much entertainment out of it as any three movies I have seen in the past year just from laughing to myself at people getting so upset about something so silly.

So keep it up, you guys are what makes it all worthwhile.

PS- As I have said in a previous thread; I don't smoke, drink sodas, eat candy, buy bottled water, or dine out often. It cracks me up that people that spend $15-$20 a week on things like that, get so upset over a one time purchase of 8 virtual items for $15.

I don't know about you, but I don't really drink much, smoke or do anything unhealthy for my body, except play video games and go on the computer, which harms your eyes.

I spend my money on clothes, food and girls and PHYSICAL entertainment products. I enjoy my life and buy whatever I like.  There's nothing nice about the gold suit. If you need some animated falling money to show off or boost up your feelings then I would consult a doctor. I only buy items that I think is nice or somethign I would wear in person.

Spending $15 on a useless gold suit is wack, lacking a good sense of style and most of all, waste of money. I rather eat a $50 steak than give sony $15 to tell them i'm a sucker. At least I get some real enjoyment and experience out of it.

I don't live in a virtual world. I got better things to spend my money on.

I rather DONATE $100 to cancer research or poor countries than give $15 to sony for some sucker suit

Message 25 of 32 (37 Views)
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Jan 6, 2011

well, even though i havent been as active on the forums im not at all new to home having been a member shortly after the closed beta was finished, and i have made many many many home virtual purchases, and now that i look back on all of them, some i think, what was i thinking? some i still drag out to have ppl say "where did you get that?!"  and id def say some were impulse some were awesome.  i say, its your money, if you want to be buying any and everything, go for it, if you wanna wait and be more choosey, great.  no one has the right to tell you what you should do with your money, as long as you have the money to spend.  there are lots of frivilous things in this world that ppl will buy that others shake their heads at, so im not gonna try and sound like my point is the best trying to give examples.  ill just say, do as you like, do what makes you happy, and do what is within reason.  if someone gives me a bad time about an expensive outfit or whatever, its not my problem as with anything its theirs.  i like me, i like what i am, what i have, and if you dont like it, dont look at it, if you dont like me, dont talk to me, cause im good with me, and in the end thats all that matters, for anyone.  be happy with you and your choices, and everyone else, well, they can take their shoes for a walk..

Message 26 of 32 (37 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
331 posts

Jan 6, 2011

I already spent $30 today on Home so i guess i can't make this my resolution this year. Maybe for 2012.

Message 27 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Jan 6, 2011

The way I look at is this... Why would I spend money on home when I could just buy a game. Games are a lot more fun to me than little clothes I can put on my guy, or little decor for my fake house.

To each his own I guess.

Message 28 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Jan 6, 2011

I think it's down to the buyer to be responsible enough to determine..

"Do I really want this?", "Will I keep using it?", "Do I have enough SPARE change for this?"

With the amount of protection in place the onus is on us, the buyers, to decide if we spend and how much we spend.

Having said that and read the comments, I too will be spending less on Home this year. Far less than the few hundred bucks last year. At best maybe 60-70. It's a) A conscious decision based on the above three things I ask myself as a buyer and B) I'm beginning to feel the pinch of what is still a recession (much like others here).

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 29 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 6, 2011

Buy something if you get enjoyment and value out of it. However, it's not wise to preach to others about their purchases that you don't agree with; nobody likes other people's opinions forced onto them.

I personally wouldn't buy the Onyx gowns or every piece of the Home Mansion, but I can understand that other people are getting a lot more value out of it. I think I can count on two hands the number of things I've bought on Home. I don't feel like I've wasted a cent. Nor do I feel like I'm wasting money having bubble tea once a week with friends.

Message 30 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes