Aug 28 2013
By: smokingpistol Ghost of Sparta 9504 posts

Spelunky?

3 replies 6162 views Edited Aug 28, 2013
I just laughed so hard reading this games description in the new store update this week.

What the hell is Spelunky and why is it such a blatant SPELUNKER ripoff? Any Irem fans can you explain what happened with Spelunker now?

Keep in mind this new game in the store is new, not spelunkER, doesnt have Home rewards like the original and isnt made by Irem, obviously.
Support Forums
Message 1 of 4 (6,162 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Re: Spelunky?

Aug 28, 2013

Yeah i saw that also... I was like WTH!  They trying to make it seem like Spelunker...  I doubt it plays anything like it thoe... Who knows...

But was very odd to see non the less!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 2 of 4 (6,140 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1023 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2013

The Spelunker IP was sold to Tozai Games in 2011. This company made a Japan office around the same time and has the president for it an ex-Irem employee and lead game designer of Spelunker HD.

Spelunky is a indie game and Tozai Games have no relation with it.

According to the wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelunky

"Spelunky draws heavily from La-Mulana and Spelunker for its visual styling, character design, gameplay elements and general mechanics. Essentially a dungeon crawl, it also adds elements from the roguelike genre, including randomly generated levels, a lack of save points, frequent and easy death, and discovery mechanics. It draws equally from the 2D platformer genre, including real-time interactions with enemies."

Message 3 of 4 (6,130 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Aug 28, 2013

Spelunky is a PS3 port of the 360/PC enhanced version of Spelunky, a separate game released five years ago for Windows. It plays like a modern 2D platformer with mutating maps. Spelunky is exponentially more difficult than Spelunker HD.

Spelunker HD is a graphically enhanced version of the NES port of Spelunker, a computer game from the 80s. The mechanics and levels are unchanged from the NES version. Spelunker HD's Home rewards were removed over a year ago before the game went on sale in the PSN store.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 4 of 4 (6,084 Views)