Reply
Wastelander
Registered: 07/24/2009
Offline
703 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

J-T-W-NY wrote:

The duel game in the winter space is silly.  You're shot, and you applaud.  Where is the violence in that?  

 

I don't understand exactly what would be accomplished by taking away guns from Home (or any video game for that matter).  To whom is SONY sending a message if they did?  

 

 


Like it or not there are families all over this Country and abroad are trying to explain to there kids about what happen in Connecticut and guns.  Parents are saying how bad this man was and what guns can do.  But what was it that you just said?  "The duel game in the winter space is silly.  You're shot, and you applaud."  Oh, OK so on one hand you have Parents telling there kids that are guns are serious and Sony is maken them as you said it "silly".

 

Or do you think this is how a real duel would turn out?


Ask any kid playing the duel game in Home, and I'm sure he or she will tell you it is make believe, that it isn't real.  It's meant to make people chuckle, not to teach them that violence is okay.  

 

It's cartoon violence.  Do you think Warner Brothers cartoons should also be banned because they don't show serious injury when someone is shot in the face by a cannon or a rifle, or when they have an anvil dropped on them?  


RockStar owes me AWP!!
Message 131 of 145 (280 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/20/2006
Offline
4395 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

You did read the part of thoes links I posted where it said this guy use to be a normal guy tell he started playing violent video games.  I also posted another link saying that our own Government are going to start a study to study the effects these games have on us.


Did you read the reply I left to your post, linking to information that scientifically discredited those studies?

 

And get your facts straight.  It is being reported that the Connecticut Shooter had Asperger syndrome.  A form of Autism, that can manifest in violent outbursts.  Which was definitely the way that it was manifesting with him even before this incident.

 

You want to blame something for this, it's not Video Games.

Blame the mother.  If someone had a person living in their house with a mental disorder that is violent to the point that they are considering committing them, why would they have a stock pile of unsecured firearms?

 

 

.

 


 


 


 


Be One With The Game.

Message 132 of 145 (277 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/25/2009
Offline
119 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012
The problem isn't guns on video games, it's what kids are being taught in the first place. If you can't teach your child the difference between a game/movie and reality, then they shouldn't play/watch them, and that includes Home.

But censorship isn't the solution. Start with one thing, next thing you know half the stuff will be missing off home and everything else will have black bars over it. Sure it might START with something small like taking guns off Home, but it'll end with an empty shell of what Home once was.

TBH blaming everyone else for what your kids interpret because you didn't sit them down and teach them otherwise is getting old.

I had/have violent games. Been playing them all my life. I've never been tempted to go out and buy a gun, nor was I tempted to take my father's hunting guns/knives and injure people with them. In fact, while I might enjoy blowing people to pieces on video games, in real life I have this thing called empathy where I think about how my actions effect other people before I carry them out, because my parents took the time to TEACH me.

So I'm afraid I don't agree with your point on ditching violence from PS Home.
Message 133 of 145 (245 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
Registered: 04/20/2009
Offline
2875 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

I think it was in verry bad taste to have a gun game in the new "Chistmas 2012" space after the Connecticut elementary school shooting.  I don't know what Sony was thinking if they where at all.  I mean when I think about Christmas I don't think about guns and killing people.  So what is this even doing in a holiday space?

 

For thoes of you reading this I'm not anti gun in any way.  But Home that is a free program made for all ages should not have guns.  It's sending people and our kids the wrong message.

 

I've read a lot of post's saying that Sony should ban guns in Home.  I'm just going to say that will never happen if you paid for a gun Sony is not just going to take it away from you.  But Sony should stop making new ones.


The holiday events begin development months prior and there was no way of knowing such a tragedy would happen. It's also too late to pull it out, so I hope you can understand that it's either pull the entire holiday event (no way) or let it stand (it's a harmless dueling contest with no graphic death). Bad timing is unfortunate, but guns are not going away in this real world anytime soon. If we had known the shooting tragedy would happen, I'm sure we would have opted for another game instead of this little one. 

 

As for guns in Home in general, we're not banning them either when many games on the level Home is (approximately ESRB T for Teen rating, with some areas age-gated at a higher level), often include such weapons. Home is not for all ages. In fact, if you're under the age of 13, most sites in the US does not permit you to use them, and PSN has the same age minimum, including use of PlayStation Home. In Home, guns exist and are here to stay. If you let your kids use Home, do so under supervision. Be a good parent, or make them an account of their own and set the proper parenting setting so you don't have to baby sit them. If our 3rd party developers wish to make more shooting games, we do not stop them. In fact, we try not to dictate what sort of content they make, so long as it doesn't break any laws and it passes our QA. The result is a vast variety of content, providing something for everyone, whether mild beaches to relax on or fast paced racing games, and everything in-between.

 

Things happen that can never be planned for. For instance, would this tragedy delay major launches of AAA game titles that happen to have guns, violence, or other similar content, because it's just "too soon?" Released this month were Far Cry 3, the Mass Effect Trilogy, and more. Come January, a new Devil May Cry, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, and last month, Hitman: Absolution (a really excellent game that I'm personally enjoying at the moment) hit the shelves. Don't even make me list the dozens of movies that are launching this month that contain guns and/or violence—that list would be too long. My point is that none of these games or moviles would shift their release dates as they were in the works for at least a year, usually 2-3 each. There will always be another tragedy, and we must do our best to move forward after such, but the greater world around us doesn't stop moving. As our British friends say, "Keep calm and carry on." We can learn from that. Sure, they grieve and suffer extraordinary anguish from such atrocities as we do, but they have a cultural ethic to keep moving through it. 

 

So duel or not duel. That choice is yours, but I hope you can see the game as lighthearted, silly, and fun. 

Message 134 of 145 (233 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 06/28/2009
Offline
8001 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012

GlassWalls wrote:

The holiday events begin development months prior and there was no way of knowing such a tragedy would happen. It's also too late to pull it out, so I hope you can understand that it's either pull the entire holiday event (no way) or let it stand (it's a harmless dueling contest with no graphic death). Bad timing is unfortunate, but guns are not going away in this real world anytime soon. If we had known the shooting tragedy would happen, I'm sure we would have opted for another game instead of this little one. 

 

As for guns in Home in general, we're not banning them either when many games on the level Home is (approximately ESRB T for Teen rating, with some areas age-gated at a higher level), often include such weapons. Home is not for all ages. In fact, if you're under the age of 13, most sites in the US does not permit you to use them, and PSN has the same age minimum, including use of PlayStation Home. In Home, guns exist and are here to stay. If you let your kids you Home, do so under supervision. Be a parent, or make them an account of their own and set the proper parenting setting so you don't have to baby sit them. If our 3rd party developers wish to make more shooting games, we do not stop them. In fact, we try not to dictate what sort of content they make, so long as it doesn't break any laws and it passes our QA. The result is a vast variety of content, providing something for everyone, whether mild beaches to relax on or fast paced racing games, and everything in-between.

 

Things happen that can never be planned for. For instance, would this tragedy delay major launches of AAA game titles that happen to have guns, violence, or other similar content, because it's just "too soon?" Released this month were Far Cry 3, the Mass Effect Trilogy, and more. Come January, a new Devil May Cry, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, and last month, Hitman: Absolution (a really excellent game that I'm personally enjoying at the moment) hit the shelves. Don't even make me list the dozens of movies that are launching this month that contain guns and/or violence—that list would be too long. My point is that none of these games or moviles would shift their release dates as they were in the works for at least a year, usually 2-3 each. There will always be another tragedy, and we must do our best to move forward after such, but the greater world around us doesn't stop moving. As our British friends say, "Keep calm and carry on." We can learn from that. Sure, they grieve and suffer extraordinary anguish from such atrocities as we do, but they have a cultural ethic to keep moving through it. 

 

So duel or not duel. That choice is yours, but I hope you can see the game as lighthearted, silly, and fun. 


Well said GlassWalls. I for one don't believe in more restrictions and as you said the timing was unfortunate, but it's a harmless minigame afterall. If parents take offense to such a mild portayal, they would do well to monitor their children more closely. I'm a parent myself and I make sure that I'm aware of what my children are doing.

Message 135 of 145 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 07/07/2009
Offline
2394 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Bobsfed wrote:

I can sort of see the developer's for Home side that they didn't want to post-pone this winter event before Christmas because there would be a lot of angry Home users. But on the other hand the fact that they released it less then a week after that school shooting also shows insensitivety on there part. They should of locked the gun game and and waited until at least after Christmas to release it.


As it has been said by myself and many others if what you said is ture then what would have been wrong with recycleing last years Christmas event?  All Sony would have done was update the prizes.

 

From the feed back that I've read last year event was better.



You realize last year's event had you play Bootleggers, a FPS team killing game?  The event this year is pressing the X button at the top of a moving bar, where Bootleggers is actually moving your avatar and hunting others down.


Yes, I did create that game on the Vita you probably never heard of.
Message 136 of 145 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29271 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

Just want to say I just tried the Dueling Game and found it very charming. Seems Lockwood put a lot of work into a number of games there with content and animations to support it. So far I've done the Ice Skating, the Kissing Game, The Dancing Game and now Dueling. They are all quite nice in my view.

 

Now if they had included some season appropriate rewards associated with them I think many would have been a lot happier. Relative to the masks I now need the last one to finish given I have 7 on both my accounts and I find them very nice. I'm personally happy to be able to get them for free. Does seem odd that is the only game that gives rewards however. 

 

Being shot and then clapping for the winner seems less than violent to me. We've had a lot worse with Dead Island and more in Home. This is so tame by comparison. 

Message 137 of 145 (199 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012

I'm so glad GlassWalls, got into the discussion. He made some very good points!!

 

I think a lot of us have been irradiated and we been taken out or frustrations on Home. WE ALL want to HELP.  But, its just suppose to be silly and fun. 

 

And, we forget the number one rule sometimes.

 

Be calm and carry on!!

Message 138 of 145 (156 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 07/23/2006
Offline
2375 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012
As much as I detest the recent happenings, the world isn't going to stop because of one mad man. Most if not all people will understand that many factors lead to these incidents, and it's not just guns in video games.

Millions play games or use places like Home that have guns, yet you don't see them shooting people in real life. It's not real, thus it stays in the virtual world. So I disagree with removing guns from Home. It's all clean fun, and nobody is truly getting hurt.
Message 139 of 145 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/01/2011
Offline
280 posts
 

Re: Sony please stop putting guns in Home.

Dec 21, 2012
I rarely give out kudos, and even more rarely give them to staff. But *KUDOS* to GW.
I hope that everyone else besides rramsdel who has been on the "ban guns from Home beause someone who has probably never been on Home was a nutcase" bandwagon gain a little perspective.
Message 140 of 145 (131 Views)
0 Likes