Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Re: Some advice Sony, change your course.

Jan 25, 2011

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Sitting back and not expressing one's opinion doesn't have anything to do with the end of the world. It has to do with communicating what users think is best for the platform. After all this is supposedly a beta and we are beta testers. Beta testers I might add who for the most part are spending plenty of money.

Using your analogy we might as well just shut the forum down or make it read only so we can get information from the management team in the way of official statements only.

My grandparents and parents believed that expressing one's opinion was part of being alive. Sorry you seem to have such a pessimistic view of what a forum community should be about. It is all about discussion and expressing ones point of view.

I for one will do that given my opinions are not somthing I will ever be afraid to express.

Last year I believe the number I heard was 4000 new items added to Home. Out of the 4000 items, how many are you concerned about?

Message 21 of 52 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 25, 2011

You're right, Sarge. The number of Pay to Play spaces doubled last week. DOUBLED! It went from two to four. And all we've had for free since the start of December is Winter Wonderland, Xi Museum and Novus Prime. Plus the Ford costumes, the A-Team shirt and the Machete shirt. Dark days indeed.

Note, too, that the problems we have in Home tend to be global. There are server disconnects and problems with the queue system worldwide. It's not just here. So let's not try to argue that point.

The only reason that partner companies are going to invest in Home is to make money. That's business, and we're all smart enough here to get that. When brands like Scion, Ford, 7-11 and Subway are partnering with Home to have free giveaways, that's a sign that someone in the marketing department thought it was worth the investment. No sign of failure there, at least not in the last six months. Let's see what it looks like six months from now.

As for games in home, let's remember that the community asked for that. We wanted games in personal spaces. We got them. We wanted deeper game experiences. We got them. We wanted fewer spaces where there was nothing to do but look at advertising and stand around. New spaces don't seem to have those problems.

Yes, SCEA went in a different direction. It gave the community what it was asking for. Now people are howling that because it's not all free, there's something wrong with it. Free content is not a sign of Home's strength or weakness. It's simply a decision made by management on whether something will be promotional or a profit center on its own. Companies like Jet Set and The Odd Gentlemen are small and need to get paid for their work. Home gives them a platform to develop, and we get console games for less than the price of cell phone games. If you can't see that as a win, I honestly don't know what to say.

If you're strictly talking about events, I've said several times that the Home devs should be split according to their core competencies. One region should develop events, one should develop the service itself, and one should develop items. I think we'd all wind up with something much better using that approach.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 22 of 52 (24 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4395 posts

Jan 25, 2011

HearItWow wrote:

You're right, Sarge. The number of Pay to Play spaces doubled last week. DOUBLED! It went from two to four. And all we've had for free since the start of December is Winter Wonderland, Xi Museum and Novus Prime. Plus the Ford costumes, the A-Team shirt and the Machete shirt. Dark days indeed.

Note, too, that the problems we have in Home tend to be global. There are server disconnects and problems with the queue system worldwide. It's not just here. So let's not try to argue that point.

Those spaces are not new.  Winter Wonderland was already developed for the European region a year ago.  Xi museum was just repurposed from when Xi was going.  Just because they are new to us does not mean they are new when it comes to the R&D required to produce them.

The majority of spaces that have been newly developed have been Pay for Play.  So my Statement stands.  And as for the slew of free tshirts you mentioned.  Good, they should be.  They are advertisements for products.  Which is the only advertising companies are willing to pay for in Home America.  Clothing.  Easy and cost effective.  They are not making spaces for the purposes of advertising.  Not like the EA Sports complex was.  That was the original model that Home was shooting for when it came to advertising.  This is the model that exists in other regions.  It has utterly failed here.  Any companies that do make spaces in Home do so strictly for the purpose of hawking virtual items.  Which has become the defacto business model for Home America.

And I am not saying the technical difficulties are limited to only SCEA, but they are the ones steadily raising prices on this flawed platform.  And they are doing it for the very things that are broken.  Personal items.

How any company can justify charging $15 for a virtual clothing item, that can disappear from your inventory at any time, and then not have a single customer service provision in place to refund someone for that error, I have no idea.

Look.  If SCEA wants to go a different way from the rest of the regions because that is the only way they can make money then fine.  But be damned sure the tech works before you start digging into the wallets of the users.  And if you can't, then you better be prepared to be financially responsible to the user/customer when that tech messes up something you charged them for.

And If SCEA is not going to foster community themselves, then they better provide the tools to the users/customers so they can do it themselves.  Not cripple them with a crappy forum and draconian rules.

Be One With The Game.

Message 23 of 52 (24 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 25, 2011

So everyone in the community who asked for Winter Wonderland was wrong, because we didn't ask for a new space? Everyone who asked when the Xi Alumni Hub would return was wrong, because it wasn't a new space?

I'm also wondering where the following spaces fit into your claims: LittleBigPlanet, Konami Penthouse, Move Event, Bomberman Dome, Mos Eisley Cantina (arguably exists to sell Star Wars stuff, but came out after a lot of the costumes), Assassins Creed 2, E3 and Gamescom? Aren't those all promotional spaces? And I don't see any mention of Ford, Subway or Scion in your reply. Telling.

You've also jumped on the "prices are going up" bandwagon, when a quick trip to Alphazone4.com will prove that incorrect.

The majority of new spaces that have been developed over the past year have not been pay to play. There have been five of them, compared with the partial list I provided above, and all of the personal spaces that have been developed as well.

You can selectively choose information all you want. The facts contradict your position, apart from your statement about the new forums being junk, which is completely true. No argument from me there.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:

Message 24 of 52 (24 Views)
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Don't forget the Playground space.

Message 25 of 52 (24 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I think some are jumping at each other's throats for nothing here.

Obviously, we all agree That Home needs some changes to make it whole again, like it used to be. Arguing about wether or not the prices have gone up is just pointless. I think the main thing is the pay to play is seemingly becoming the main standard, which is the concern in that we may be seeing less and less of the free items that once were. Sure I understand that about the small new companies that just came in will need a little money to keep going, and thats fine. But we still need the free things coming and not come to a stand still. I believe that is the biggest issue about the pricing.

Photobucket

Message 26 of 52 (24 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1142 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Been in home since closed beta and allways defended home to. But now im getting a little annoyed I pay $2.50 for a game that dosen't even work for maybe a couple of times.Trying to play midway is so painfull now i can't even finish a game without lagging out or freezing. I managed to get the gold jacket. O and what happend to those remote control rc cars/the shrink item for our avatars that were promised a year agao yet not one word about it eh? last thing is sony need to get more mods for home it is amusing watching those gangs/fams/mafia in home but it gets old.

Psn=
Message 27 of 52 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Sony's just arrogant. At this rate, Microsoft and Nintendo will outsell Sony.

Message 28 of 52 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Could we please do away with the hyperbole? Three new spaces in four months does not mean that "pay to play is becoming the main standard." You might as well argue that private spaces are the new direction of Home, because we've had a lot more of those than public spaces. Let's be real about what's going on and talk about real problems.

LOL-123 has it right. It is unacceptable to spend money on a game that doesn't work properly. That does a lot of damage to Home because once users get burned, they're less likely to spend in the future. Pay to play content needs to be bulletproof when it launches, and if it isn't, it needs to be updated very quickly.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:

Message 29 of 52 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Jan 25, 2011

what dose the end of the world have to do with the problems home is having and why people are mad about the drection of home i fail to see the point! and how ints not just the prices of home its the lack of good events that people are complaining about or the fact that you have to Pay to play them Home is advertised as a free service to meet people and play games and i know that the poptional content like clothes and spaces are pay for content but why should i spend money on a game thats going to lag really bad like midway! and yes these fourms are here to express opinions and share ideas and talk no one should say that having an opinion on is not allowed or they shouldt post them because thats there opinion to say that! I have said many times in these fourms that i love home but some of its issues are making me lose intrest in it! Home is full opf greate people and i have made a lot of great friends on home the majority of my friends list is of people i met on Home! but  guewss what im rying to say is people shouldnt tell other people on here that they have no right to express there opinion !  
Get your Portable ID! Photobucket

Honestly it wasn't suggestive at all it was quite blatant!
Message 30 of 52 (24 Views)
0 Likes