Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Re: Social Disintegration Within US Home?

Aug 7, 2012
The funny thing is its usually the same handfull of users arguing with themselves via various multiple accounts :/ dont believe anything you see on the forums for some here are the ones you want banned from home in the first place speaking double talk..
Support Forums
Message 31 of 44 (271 Views)
Fender Bender
1148 posts

Aug 7, 2012

smokingpistol wrote:
The funny thing is its usually the same handfull of users arguing with themselves via various multiple accounts :/ dont believe anything you see on the forums for some here are the ones you want banned from home in the first place speaking double talk..

thank you for the insight. I never.... well .......

Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of alternate accounts in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.

I trust my two best friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 32 of 44 (264 Views)
Fender Bender
2693 posts

Aug 7, 2012

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hi everbody,

I haven't been here in a while. I was sort of brought back over when someone from EU pointed out a thread to me on this board. From there I started checking out all the other threads on the first 2 pages. I found I kept asking myself something - "What the heck has happened to you guys?!"

Kid asks: Do you have freezing in EU?

I know this place has always had its drama, the fight to be King Homie or Queen Bee, the fams, the deliberately "against the grain" types, and the "Home is SRS business!!!" types. I won't lie I belonged somewhere in that odd pile. But really, things have gotten way out of control in the last year or so.

Kid says: No fights to be King or Queen that I see. Maybe egos.

It made me think about Social Disintegration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_disintegration

"Social disintegration is the tendency for society to decline or disintegrate over time, perhaps due to the lapse or breakdown of traditional social support systems. In this context, "society" refers to the social order which maintains a society, rather than the political order that defines its boundaries. Society in the sociological sense is not the same as a country."

I'm not gonna ask you what went wrong as I don't wanna start a flame war here...but I wanna ask if you think it's because of any of the following:

*Change in moderation procedures

*People tired of the same olf forum politics

*Departure of members

*Arrival of new members

*The inability to differentiate between serious real life problems, and virtual world problems.

Kid says: None of the above except that people leaving are good and bad. Maybe attitudes depends on time of year.

I ask this because I'm from EU, and before it used to be EU that was the mess. You go there now and we even have fun with the people that don't agree with us. We mostly talk about prizes, updates, rewards, events, Home jokes, user projects. Come here and it's all about fams, freezers, he said she said, glitches, conspiracy, hormones, who's allowed to do what and so on. What's the deal?

Kid says: Again, do you have freezers and how do people talk about it if they do. If a space like Waterfall Terracedoesn't work, how do people in EU handle it on the forums? How do you'se handle trolls? Oh heck! Maybe you'se are just more civilized?

Maybe I'm going off on a tangent but I think there is definitely a decline of some sort. I saw a thread arguing Home is the decline, but I am starting to think the decline is in the quality of user interactions.

Kid says: Nah! No tangent on your part. Good post. I'm inclined to believe that the decline is in the service more than user interactions. We just holler louder and more often... and sometimes stupider.

-Ed.

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 33 of 44 (257 Views)
Fender Bender
1148 posts

Aug 7, 2012

Lil_The_Pill wrote:

For whatever reason, Moderation has failed. 

I am quoting my own post because : to be honest and fair, I cannot leave a false impression of people I have never met, and do not know. There has got to be some really dedicated, and very hard working Moderators and Admins. I also get the feeling that MercuryValentine is a fine person.

I know that Moderation does work, because I have seen it work.

BUT . . .

As a member of the Home Community, on Home almost 7 days a week : for whatever reason . .

Overall,  Moderation has failed

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 34 of 44 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Aug 7, 2012

Hmm... Im a bit confused about the topic of this message.  The Title is abt the disintegration of US home, but the confused replies asking whats EU? (Europe) and the others refering to banter on the forums seem to have evolved this into another topic. 

Well, I will disscuss Home and the experience I have had over the past 6 months.  I for one dont get involved in drama because i am straight forward in my approach to social gossip on home, but i have observed certain behaviors from users mostly younger users (as young as 9)  believe that their behavior is acceptable because in their own words "this is a game".  In other words some people on home find it acceptable to curse, sexualy harrass, be racist, sexist, bullying, perverted and general people who come to home to purposely annoy people or belittle people to feel better abt themslves.  The amount of people who do this is rapidly increasing to no end.  Like the fams who flash their tags every 5 seconds or the spammers that I have to put on ignore just to make it stop;  HOME is a social network where people can meet and socialize in a safe environment, I for one have met some really nice people who i might have otherwise never met because they live in Canada, Hawaii, Cali, Oregon, ect and im a New Yorker and for that I am grateful, but the increasing amount of people how misbehave on home has made very discuraging to keep going to Home to meet new people or spend time with my current friends.  I can make a suggestion but it may go unnoticed as well but there it is:  Add a disclamer in the message of the day or anywhere else messages are posted or videos are displayed, doesnt have to be long winded: 

Welcome to playstation Home please enjoy all we have to offer and be respectful of others.

Woman Very Happy

Message 35 of 44 (224 Views)
Splicer
30 posts

Aug 7, 2012

I must agree, the community has gone downhill, and the "Fams" don't really help it all, there really isn't a way to "fix" the community. Trying to force social change online? That would be interesting to see.

Message 36 of 44 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2012

My use of this Forum has been more lurking than posting recently.  Many of the reasons cited by EdwCamby and HearItWow sound spot on.

Home has held very little interest for me lately.  There just isn't much engaging content for me at the moment.  Summertime and my preoccupation with the London Games have played a role as well.

Regarding the Forum itself, I don't see much reason to post anything important most of the time.  I've always been willing to post what I felt to be well considered and balanced criticism or suggestions.  This vein of posting will always lead to accusations of whining, crying and complaining from a certain element of the Community.  My skin is thick enough that I never really cared about those replies.  The more frustrating part is the lack of official response or change that anything on the Forum elicits.  I don't come here to type posts as a form of cardiovascular workout for my intrinsic hand muscles.

When valid issues are not addressed by the powers-that-be, there is little point to continue beating one's head against the wall.  Maybe that's part of Sony's strategy.  By completely ignoring the people making complaints, they're hoping that those users simply become disenfranchised and leave.  Then, they can continue on with business as usual.  Whatever works for them, I suppose.

If this dilemma concerned a truly important facet of life, I could soldier on and fight the good fight.  Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for me, it's only Playstation Home that we're talking about and I don't really care that much anymore.

castle3
Message 37 of 44 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Aug 7, 2012

Sony doesnt consider playstation home part to the playstation experience, to them its basically "A perk" an edge over their competitors, (but and this is a huge BUT), the revenue that sony makes from playstation home should be a incentive for them to pay closer attention to the issues that arise.  God knows that at this point it has become an invested for me, since I keep purchasing these virtual items that I never really own nor i can physically obtain (stupid huh?) These issues need to be addressed and I as a consumer i would like to enjoy the whole "Playstation Experience" not just some aspects of it and if they dont address it, then it will only mean less revenue from one more consumer and from other consumers that will eventually get fed up and leave home all together.

Lets all make Playstation Home a pleasant experience for everyone to enjoy Smiley LOL

Message 38 of 44 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
467 posts

Aug 7, 2012

they ban the good ppl but let the nuts go free. i think they fear the nuts...

Message 39 of 44 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
281 posts

Aug 8, 2012

My guess would be the inability to differentiate real life problems from virtual ones as some ppl take virtual problems waaaay too seriously.I mean what is the absolute worst problem that you could encounter on these forums?Someone saying something you don't agree with?Possibly seeming foolish in front of others?Pretty mild stuff when you consider these things to real life problems like ppl starving or dealing with life-threatening situations.Keep things in perspective and nothing on these forums should bother you overly much.

Vae Victis
Message 40 of 44 (116 Views)
0 Likes