Reply
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/05/2007
Offline
1249 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 5, 2007
I would prefer if the invitation to the closed beta was emailed to me. Because if you could only sign up by going onto PSN or something, I probably would have a less chance of getting it. (I'm not sure if this is common) but I use my ps3 for games and blu-ray movies 90% of the time and the PSN/browser 10%. So I could miss an entire day without knowing that the sign up is available, which, by then, it would already have been full (probably within like half an hour but still....)


Message Edited by jitty9 on 04-04-2007 08:53 PM
Message 21 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Rux
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/29/2006
Offline
5135 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 5, 2007


jitty9 wrote:
I would prefer if the invitation to the closed beta was emailed to me. Because if you could only sign up by going onto PSN or something, I probably would have a less chance of getting it. (I'm not sure if this is common) but I use my ps3 for games and blu-ray movies 90% of the time and the PSN/browser 10%. So I could miss an entire day without knowing that the sign up is available, which, by then, it would already have been full (probably within like half an hour but still....)


Message Edited by jitty9 on 04-04-2007 08:53 PM

Exactly. I'm in that same situation as well. I don't nearly use the web browser as often as games, movies, or my computer.
Message 22 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 03/10/2007
Offline
509 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 12, 2007
They Will ask you to put in your PS3's barcode number.....thats how you will sign up.
 
 
PSN: ryuuk
 
Message 23 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 01/03/2007
Offline
2512 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 12, 2007


ryuuk wrote:
They Will ask you to put in your PS3's barcode number.....thats how you will sign up.
 
 
PSN: ryuuk
 


Hmm...ok, then. Let's see some proof. How do you know that they will ask for your barcode number?
Message 24 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 03/14/2007
Offline
855 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 13, 2007


Pharside wrote:
Here's most likely what they will do.
 
They will require the MAC address of your PS3, just like they use to activate your Resistance Stats: This both provides proof of ownership AND an identity so that you can download the software ONLY to the system you have registered. Your PSN-ID will also be used to link your Username to your console and that's the simplest way to have it done.


Message Edited by Pharside on 04-03-2007 06:08 PM


They wouldn't require that! When you connect over the internet, the device and the server communicate to each other. When they do this, they pass identifiers back and forth, so that each end knows the connection is safe. Among the identifiers is the ip address, browser type and version, OS type and version, MAC address, and much more!
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Message 25 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 03/14/2007
Offline
855 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 13, 2007


DirtyShoe wrote:
actualy there is a way to tell what kinda of in ternet conection, processor,operating system, and fire wall program that you are running any time you connect to a web page. but i doubt that sony would go through the trouble. i amagine they will just send a update to each pearson selecteds ps3 as to the fact that there is no other way to have a psn id without access to a enternet atached ps3.   



That is possible! They would get the ip address and other details for the PS3 that the person owns and send the update to that destination!
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Message 26 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 03/14/2007
Offline
855 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 13, 2007


severeon wrote:


DirtyShoe wrote:
actualy there is a way to tell what kinda of in ternet conection, processor,operating system, and fire wall program that you are running any time you connect to a web page. but i doubt that sony would go through the trouble. i amagine they will just send a update to each pearson selecteds ps3 as to the fact that there is no other way to have a psn id without access to a enternet atached ps3.



Ever heard of linux? You can spoof that info pretty easy with it

Yes, that is true! The other point is that there is a way to prevent spoofing as well! Don't you think they have thought of that one? I am not trying to start an argument, just making a point!
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Message 27 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 04/14/2007
Offline
2933 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 14, 2007
How about just make iit simple? PSN ID and PS3 SKU#
LittleBigPlanet
Message 28 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 01/30/2005
Offline
890 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 14, 2007
yea tru


Pharside wrote:
Here's most likely what they will do.
 
They will require the MAC address of your PS3, just like they use to activate your Resistance Stats: This both provides proof of ownership AND an identity so that you can download the software ONLY to the system you have registered. Your PSN-ID will also be used to link your Username to your console and that's the simplest way to have it done.


Message Edited by Pharside on 04-03-2007 06:08 PM



URL=http://www.speedtest.net]http://www.speedtest.net/result/88503955.png[/IMG
Message 29 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/02/2006
Offline
3132 posts
 

Re: Sign up only from ps3 browser?

Apr 25, 2007
If this is true! Then great! People's chances will be even greater of getting into the beta. As most people won't be checking it at first from their PS3.
Message 30 of 35 (9 Views)
0 Likes