Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Re: Should we still be forced to only use Pottermore items in the Pottermore spaces?

Apr 30, 2013
Normally I'd be against it but in this instance I agree with it. Uniformity for a school setting? Heaven forbid!

They've done their research and they want their product to reach out to as many visitors as possible. If you can put on what the hello you want it becomes yet another space you visit, try the mini games for and leave. When you have to pick camps, have a unique ID and are forced to work within limits it becomes an experience and encourages you to think out of the box a little.

Surely I'm not the only one that sees the irony in people complaining every space is the same old same old are also complaining about a unique experience in Home not being the same old same old?

And...I loved The Journey space Smiley Happy

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 31 of 48 (174 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
223 posts

Re: Should we still be forced to only use Pottermore items in the Pottermore spaces?

Apr 30, 2013

While Harry Potter is and was popular with some adutls it is still aimed at a much younger audience and I do believe you should be forced to wear what the developers want and what the setting calls for.  That said it is a shame my Grumpy Santa on vacation persona cannot visit all the good little witches and wizards.

lightning photo tumblr_m9obahTLDP1ra3qoqo1_500_zpsdad312cd.gifthank you BMW
Message 32 of 48 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

We should absolutely not be forced to wear anything outside of the school uniforms in Pottermore. Unfitting LMOs should be disabled, but they should filter out a few we can use.

As I have said before numerous times, I understand and actually like only being able to wear the school uniforms, but not being able to use our own hair, and faces reverting to a preset is absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for.

Glasses should also be allowed too, the more "exotic" things like glowing eyes and such could (obviously non-canonically) be attributed to the temporary side effects of a potion or something from Zonko's Joke Shop, ect.

The HP universe has crazy things like Spectrespecs, so saying glasses should be disabled as a whole due to some items being "unfitting" doesn't really hold water.

LMOs should be filtered to allow us to use thematically similar items like brooms and the lantern.

Some head accessories like the GZ witch hats should be filtered and allowed, as I and many others refuse to wear non-accessory hats, and all other devs besides GZ are apparently too lazy to make them.

As far as people bringing up MIB, Journey and Move...well first of all, I only visited those place once and never went back.

Second, those places all transformed you into something non-human, so it was more tolerable instead of it being a dumbed-down, default-faced version of your own character that, in some cases (like mine), people worked hard on.

Oh, and in the case of the agent uniform, you still got to keep you own face, hair, glasses & head accessories. So in any case, all those places are not comparable to Pottermore.

Crippling one of the core features of Home, customization and creativity, is just plain stupid, and it seems to me like they lost a lot more traffic due to forcing us to have default hair and such.

If they patch being able to wear your own items in whatever way people are currently doing it (I don't know, and haven't seen it as I haven't gone back there) then the amount of people in those spaces will dwindle even further.

One final note..I love how people are saying they like or don't mind the restrictions since it "immerses" them in Pottermore...how exactly is having a carbon-copy face and hair, and not being able to express creativity and individuality by way of your own hair and glasses (and some head accessories like the witch hat) in any way "immersive" when you are supposed to be a student at Hogwarts?

When Pottermore was launched, I was ready to be totally immersed imagining MYSELF as a Hogwarts student. Even if they has no restrictions, I would have only worn the school uniforms there with my own face, hair and glasses.

They had the right idea forcing us to wear the uniforms and disabling pets and most LMOs, but took it overboard and disabled EVERYTHING. I haven't gone back to Pottermore after day 1, nor will I ever go back or spend any further money on it unless they at least let us use our own face and hair. 

Message 33 of 48 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

To answer your question - everything about customizing the aesthetics of your avatar are vanity items. Removing that customization takes the focus away from distracting styles, and allows people to focus on the substance.

Seriously, this is a space aimed mostly at kids. Why do you need to look cool in front of kids? Why do you need to look cool in Pottermore full stop? I can understand the need for a little individuality and creativity but I think that can still be achieved with conversation.

As far as I see it Pottermore is an immersive thing, and much like any video game you buy from the store you are given some limitations on who or what your character "is" so the focus isn't on the character's style but how they fit/dont fit into the environment and what their objective is.

There are spaces to be special, unique and chat about what you like. This isn't one of them. And it wasn't intended as such.

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 34 of 48 (143 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

Cool, then this space also wasn't intended to receive any more of my time and money, which was my point.

Also, I don't play games without customization unless it's an old game/HD remake, or I REALLY like the characters. The whole reason I play Home is the customization. Take that away, and I have no reason to play Home, or go to spaces that cripple that.

Message 35 of 48 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Tarazuma wrote:
Cool, then this space also wasn't intended to receive any more of my time and money, which was my point.

I'm not sure if you know this, but you aren't the only person that uses PlayStation Home Smiley Very Happy

@conrad_max

Message 36 of 48 (133 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

I'm aware of that, but did you know that a lot of people also complain about the prices of Home items and hold off on or refrain from buying items they find "too expensive"? I am not one of those people. I will buy anything I like the quality of, regardless of price, without batting an eye.

For example I bought both school outfits and an owl without even looking at the price, while most people seemed hesitant to. So losing a customer like me isn't really a smart business move, and I'm sure there are others like me as well.

Message 37 of 48 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Regardless of the reason if there is low traffic in a space the possibility of getting an update decreases significantly. I don't really go to Pottermore but listening to users it does appear the traffic there isn't very high. 

Lets hope that doesn't stop updates from happening and that some are already in development. 

Message 38 of 48 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Tarazuma wrote:

I'm aware of that, but did you know that a lot of people also complain about the prices of Home items and hold off on or refrain from buying items they find "too expensive"? I am not one of those people. I will buy anything I like the quality of, regardless of price, without batting an eye.

For example I bought both school outfits and an owl without even looking at the price, while most people seemed hesitant to. So losing a customer like me isn't really a smart business move, and I'm sure there are others like me as well.

This is not something to pride yourself on, nor does it grant you any further entitlement compared to other customers. It's not a smart move for them to cheese off their customers but every single product can't be tailored to fit you as and when you feel like demanding it be done.

More to the point of what Jo said I hope you guys get more traffic in your Pottermore. I wasn't aware traffic was so bad in the US region for it

If that's really the case with the traffic in Pottermore it only highlights one fundamental problem about us asking game companies to be more involved with Home; No matter how much they try and appeal to gamers or offer unique experiences people that like those things are no longer the target market in Home but a niche market. Everyone on Home seems to be too wrapped up in how they look, how others judge their appearance, how much they can express themselves and how people value that individual's freedom of expression. It's a pity if you ask me.

@conrad_max

Message 39 of 48 (107 Views)
Fender Bender
2969 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Crazy-88 wrote:

It should be a system that benefits if you wear Pottermore gear in Pottermore, not a forced one. Like, for every hour in the space 'in character'(clothes-wise), you get a card. Every 24hrs banked 'in character' you get coins towards some kind of reward shop, etc.

Forcing us to wear a bland & limited set of clothes is dull, and to the 'Potterworld doesnt have ____' people... c'mon. Magic is a trump card answer, and that's what Pottermore is about, so I think we could let the wild fashions slide. It's not like Harry went to the adult parts of 'the wizarding world', so who knows what else is outside of the book limits.

Well, I do -- because it's a book of FICTION, so NOTHING exists outside of the books.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 40 of 48 (103 Views)
0 Likes