Treasure Hunter
4505 posts

Re: Should we still be forced to only use Pottermore items in the Pottermore spaces?

[ Edited ]
Apr 28, 2013

I understand.  It's just restrictions are a slippery slope, and from what I can tell, are keeping a lot of people from wanting to visit and stay in those spaces.

If we had the option to make LMOs and avatars disappear from our view, then everyone would have the ability to decide for themseleves what is or is not appropriate.  that way you would not have to be worried about anyone's creativity being overshadowed by the gogo girl costumes, choppers and other huge LMOs, as you could simply make them disappear from your view.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 21 of 48 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2781 posts

Re: Should we still be forced to only use Pottermore items in the Pottermore spaces?

[ Edited ]
Apr 28, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

I understand.  It's just restrictions are a slippery slope, and from what I can tell, are keeping a lot of people from wanting to visit and stay in those spaces.

I do understand your concerns with that statement, and totally reserve the right to change my mind and moan in 6 months time when I'm forced into wearing something I hate due to these annoying wardrobe restrictions Smiley Tongue

Message 22 of 48 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4505 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 28, 2013

Mermaid-KT wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

I do understand your concerns with that statement, and totally reserve the right to change my mind and moan in 6 months time when I'm forced into wearing something I hate due to these annoying wardrobe restrictions Smiley Tongue

In six months time (Ok maybe more like 7+ months), I suspect you will be moaing about something else far more important than Home. Smiley Happy

BTW - when do we get to start a betting pool for the special occasion? new_bouncy.gif

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 23 of 48 (203 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28565 posts

Apr 29, 2013

I have no problem with dressing appropriately for any space, or using only Pottermore items there. I usually do it anyway. As for being forced to dress a certain way or be restricted to the use of only certain items, only if it were limited to a few spaces but not all.

To answer the question: I do not have a problem with what the Pottermore space allow us. Immersion is not a bad thing (once in a while).

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 24 of 48 (177 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Apr 29, 2013
We needed to be placed in alien costumes to access the Men In Black space and still do. I never saw this type of backlash then. With all due respect, I do not mind being limited or forced into clothing once in a while and as long as its for immersion purposes. I will admit the only time it really did bother me was in No Man's Land. I hated those clothing items though primarily where the Pottermore ones are quite charming.
Support Forums
Message 25 of 48 (154 Views)
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Apr 29, 2013

i have no problem with the pottermore space and the restrictions. you are a hogwart's student, you must dress like 

one, have the proper companion (owl, cat, toad) why would you want to ruin the immersion experience for others?

Message 26 of 48 (144 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Didn't bother me at Journey, didn't bother me at Men in Black, doesn't bother me at Pottermore.

People deliberately circumventing the clothing restrictions do bother me. Hopefully a future update will lock that down tighter than it is.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 27 of 48 (137 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1108 posts

Apr 30, 2013

I don't see what all the fuss is about as far as the clothing restrictions.  Apparantly J.K. Rowling must have wanted it that way and I don't see a problem wearing only Pottermore clothing.  You either like the space or you don't.  If anyone is so against the clothing restrictions for that space then don't go there.  I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan but I have nothing against the clothing there or having to wear default hair.  Why do people want to ruin the Harry Potter experience by wearing anything but Pottermore clothing?  

Message 28 of 48 (106 Views)
Sackboy
414 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Forced clothes changes only bother me nowadays when I'm not allowed to wear whatever head items I want. If I can wear my my animal heads where ever I want you'd might never hear a complaint from me about this.

I feel however at times though the fear of being around someone not dressed the way you'd want them to dress however is becoming this bizarre straw man.

Here's a Sci Fi Example

• Star Wars Cantina allows you to dress how ever you want.
  • No Man's Land doesn't allow you to dress the way you want.
  • The people who play No Man's Land state this is to prevent "inappropriate outfits".
  • However the people who don't dress in Star Wars clothes will usually dress in some other Sci Fi outfit. For Example Helghasts. This creates a more friendly environment to be ones self if someone genuinely enjoys Sci Fi in general.
  • No Man's Land doesn't get this & even loses out on Storm Troopers versus Helghasts.
  • However if Star Wars Cantina forced everyone to dress like the bartender (until they bought a different Star Wars Outfit) fewer people would want to go there. Even if Star Wars is the more famous out of the 2 it would still lose out on possible customers from this reaction.

Of course some may ignore that due to it not being Fantasy so this next example is purely concept.

• Lord Of The Rings now has a public space on Home that doesn't force change for the sake of immersion.
  • Pottermore still does.
  • Because of this more people now visit LotR even if some of them dress in ways you don't want. And still creates a friendlier environment to talk about Fantasy.

This final example is just for the sake of showing how Forced Immersion can go wrong.

• Homelings have gotten so big they get their own public space.
  • Along with a now new Homeling outfit you are rewarded on arrival & must wear, your skin is turned pale.
  • Because of this PS Home now gets a backlash of supporting Racism even though The Homelings don't tend to be racist as this is just part of their Immersion.

After going through those examples though I don't think Forced Immersion should be a part of PS Home. If its that necessary though than those should exist as games you can buy off of PSN instead of being on PS Home. That way no one loses out on something they like while no one else gets unintentionally discriminated against.

Message 29 of 48 (101 Views)
Wastelander
631 posts

Apr 30, 2013

I guess I'm in the minority in that I think we shouldn't be forced to change our outfits in ANY space. When I go to a space for the 1st time and find out I must wear their outfits in their space, it'll almost guarantee that it'll be the last time I visit (No Man's Land, Journey, etc.). Pottermore in the other hand, I do have interest in it as it is such a well designed space, but I can't stand that limitation. Pottermore is PSHome first to me, before it is "Pottermore". I would like to dress how I like to, but since I'm forced to dress in the generic Potter gear, I would at least ask for "anything goes" on the head, so we can at least maintain some personality of ourselves. I don't know what kind of backlash I'm going to get for going against the grain, but at least I'm being honest to myself and how I feel about this subject.

Antonio Xul
Message 30 of 48 (90 Views)