Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 03/14/2010
Offline
1405 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 10, 2013

o.O I almost fainted seeing thread 3 on the same issue being re-born and then I asked myself..

 

lolcatsdotcom2gqq05qxvzhekg3j.jpg

From a decision by Sony to move away from Community to focus on Competition...

To a forum that was on its way to repairing itself in a focus on Community.. now having trolls protected if they help generate site hits..

To the world of HOME being kept in the dark when so many developers have left already...

A concept focused on profits and Competition have another name in the world of Pro-Community- RIP!

May the trolls, drama makers and competitive personas find joy in Sony - I'll do like soo many others and just move on.

Kitty Pyra - Career and Online life ended officially 2014
Message 11 of 38 (250 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/27/2008
Offline
5706 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 10, 2013

my personal thought is in no way reflection of sony. I say this not as a MVP but asa regular HOME USER i think home should be 18+ on your own. 13 to 17 should have parent in the room. 12 and under should't be on a ps3 anyways. As Uncle of a 5yr twin 3yr and a 10 month old i 10 and under shouldn't touch video games till they are 11. my 5yr old nephew hates it when i babysitt cause iwon't let him on the computer to play his mom's facebook games.

images.jpg

Message 12 of 38 (230 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 05/30/2012
Offline
5457 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 10, 2013

TSFRJ wrote:

my personal thought is in no way reflection of sony. I say this not as a MVP but asa regular HOME USER i think home should be 18+ on your own. 13 to 17 should have parent in the room. 12 and under should't be on a ps3 anyways. As Uncle of a 5yr twin 3yr and a 10 month old i 10 and under shouldn't touch video games till they are 11. my 5yr old nephew hates it when i babysitt cause iwon't let him on the computer to play his mom's facebook games.


So you wouldn't play Little Big Planet with them then? Because, essentially LBP is in actual fact, a game made for children.

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 13 of 38 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/27/2008
Offline
5706 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 10, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

TSFRJ wrote:

my personal thought is in no way reflection of sony. I say this not as a MVP but asa regular HOME USER i think home should be 18+ on your own. 13 to 17 should have parent in the room. 12 and under should't be on a ps3 anyways. As Uncle of a 5yr twin 3yr and a 10 month old i 10 and under shouldn't touch video games till they are 11. my 5yr old nephew hates it when i babysitt cause iwon't let him on the computer to play his mom's facebook games.


So you wouldn't play Little Big Planet with them then? Because, essentially LBP is in actual fact, a game made for children.


i didn't play NES till i was 11. plus im not about to let 5yr old trash my PS3. but all 4 love watching me play cause they think it's a cartoon.

images.jpg

Message 14 of 38 (201 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 12/15/2004
Offline
995 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

[ Edited ]
Aug 10, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

TSFRJ wrote:

my personal thought is in no way reflection of sony. I say this not as a MVP but asa regular HOME USER i think home should be 18+ on your own. 13 to 17 should have parent in the room. 12 and under should't be on a ps3 anyways. As Uncle of a 5yr twin 3yr and a 10 month old i 10 and under shouldn't touch video games till they are 11. my 5yr old nephew hates it when i babysitt cause iwon't let him on the computer to play his mom's facebook games.


So you wouldn't play Little Big Planet with them then? Because, essentially LBP is in actual fact, a game made for children.


Ok.  I mostly avoided this discussion till now.   We had a similar discussion about the age thing couple years ago.   This thread talks about it.

 

When Hello Kitty Online started out, it was played by teens and adults in the betas. But for the commericial launch (as I recall), they added an in game filter, which kinda ruined the game by making it for children.  Tthus many quit playing due to this and more.

 

However, I still play since I've been around this long since the betas, have met many players, and didn't care what age they were as long as they got to play.  Eventually, those players quit as they found the game too hard.  Bah.  The game was much harder back in the betas as far as I remember.

 

Looking back at it now, PS Home is in better shape compared to HKO.

Message 15 of 38 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 02/04/2008
Offline
1864 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 10, 2013

 

On the question as to whether children under 13 should be on Home - In my opinion, No.  I also don't think children 13-18 should be on Home.  As a mother of three, I do my best to make that happen... However, you can't stand over their shoulders every second of the day, and since the age restriction feature does absolutely no good, if they rate something unsuitable (in my opinion) for children 13 +. 

 

However, I don't think all video games should be ruled out.  There is some benefit from video games that are geared towards children.  Such as problem solving skills and hand-eye coordination. 

 

 

Message 16 of 38 (198 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 03/14/2010
Offline
1405 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

[ Edited ]
Aug 10, 2013

The fun part is things such as these:

 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201201/the-many-benefits-kids-playing-video-games

 

Excerpt:

"Whenever we prevent our kids from playing or exploring in the ways they prefer, we place another brick in a barrier between them and us. We are saying, in essence, "I don't trust you to control your own life." Children are suffering today not from too much computer play or too much screen time. They are suffering from too much adult control over their lives and not enough freedom (see essay on rise of depression and anxiety)."

 

"Video games have been under attack by the fear-mongers ever since they first appeared, and the attacks have not diminished. If you Google around the Internet using harmful effects of video games as a search phrase, you will find all sorts of frightening claims. One site warns that video games can cause depression, physical aggression, poor sleep, somatic complaints, obesity, attention disorders, and ... the list went on. The only malady they seemed to have left out was housemaid's knee."

 

"I don't see any obvious reason why pretend murder of animated characters in video games should be any more likely to provoke real murder than, say, reading Shakespeare's account of Hamlet's murder of his stepfather. Yet we make kids read Hamlet in school."

 

The most beneficial comments I love are at the bottom of the article dealing with MMORPGS

 

"Making friends within the game requires essentially the same skills as making friends in the real world. You can't be rude. You have to understand the etiquette of the culture you are in and abide by that etiquette. You have to learn about the goals of a potential friend and help that individual to achieve those goals. Depending on how you behave, players may put you on their friends list or their ignore list, and they may communicate positive or negative information about you to other players. The games offer players endless opportunities to experiment with different personalities and ways of behaving, in a fantasy world where there are no real-life consequences for failing."

 

Sounds alot like the culture in Home doesnt it!?

 

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to properly point to article segments which could best apply to this '3x over thread'.

 

Enjoy!

 

 

 

From a decision by Sony to move away from Community to focus on Competition...

To a forum that was on its way to repairing itself in a focus on Community.. now having trolls protected if they help generate site hits..

To the world of HOME being kept in the dark when so many developers have left already...

A concept focused on profits and Competition have another name in the world of Pro-Community- RIP!

May the trolls, drama makers and competitive personas find joy in Sony - I'll do like soo many others and just move on.

Kitty Pyra - Career and Online life ended officially 2014
Message 17 of 38 (183 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 07/07/2013
Offline
436 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 10, 2013

I really wish that there was an additional icon or other visible idenitifer next to a user's name that would easily let everyone know whether the user is an Adult (18+) or a Juvenile (Under 18). It can be easy to become jaded from negative interactions, thus spoiling future interactions with genuine innocents who are exploring PSH and may need real guidance. 

Message 18 of 38 (176 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/01/2010
Offline
2879 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 10, 2013

Honestly, how can someone prove the age of someone? People lie about their ages all the time. I have an account where I tell people I am 12( I am 54 really) because I wanted a " punky kid" account that was left alone. You don't know how many playas will stop playing once you say you are 12( lol). I wanted at least one account where I could have a little peace. Best one to decide who is on home and who isn't is their parents. Back when I had young children around me, I decided which games I would share around children, and which I wouldn't " Conker's bad fur day" Ok " Parasite Eve" No way. Sony ( and their staff) has no idea who is on. One would hope the other adults here would( as I do) keep most of the more" mature" things in their private spaces, but seeing someone troll is funny too at times,lol.  It is really up to the parents to decide. I don't think in the long run, anything they will be able to see on home will tramatize kids anymore than what they might see on tv or in a movie . In fact it is safer on Home than in many rl situations. The kids on home are already playing 17+ games that their parents bought them( I know of people like this). At the price of a playstation 3, even used, no " child" has ever bought one for themselves, so we can only hope that parents are aware of what they are doing, and if something offends them, they can always make sure home is not downloaded to their machine, and just buy the kid sims games


Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 19 of 38 (168 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/17/2011
Offline
2003 posts
 

Re: Should children 13 and under be allowed on home ?

Aug 11, 2013

angelbaby4life wrote:
Im asking this question because of new very sexy and very revealing clothing and sexual dances .

Chris Hanson is out of a job at NBC.  He is looking for work.kris hanson.gif

Message 20 of 38 (143 Views)