Gaming Beast
1947 posts

Re: Should You Bite The Hand That Feeds You? (Interesting Article On "Home Price Gouging")

Aug 17, 2013

I love the irony of a site for marketed for Home users would make a thread about opinions on shopping, and give such awful comparisons as to why complaints are irrelevant. Has there ever been a site meant for a fanbase that didn't try to validate every cent put towards it? >.> Starbucks? Really? 

Ignoring the blindingly awful comparisons and biased writing, was there any real validation to calling users babies and putting a meme-baby rageface to represent anybody with complaints?

I always complain about prices for the most part, I'll admit that, but last I checked the only flailing crybaby routine I've done is well... when I was a baby to cry?

I look at items, say nDreams compared to LKWD, and regularly if similar designs are made, nDreams will be edgier(graphically), and lesser quality to LKWD, but have a higher pricetag, which I find absurd. On the opposite side of the same coin, gold/silver is regularly slapped onto things for a $3-5+ option by some devs, but just another color to others. Granted, there are those who complain simply for the sake of it, but there are those of who contest prices with valid points.

Which is the real 'idiot crybaby' in this instance? The writer who spent an entire article cry'n over those who don't agree with her perhaps?

I don't budlist-add on forums, and blank PSN requests get ignored!
Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 31 of 45 (495 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5755 posts

Re: Should You Bite The Hand That Feeds You? (Interesting Article On "Home Price Gouging")

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2013

"I'm not going to repeat Norse's economic treatises here - the roughly 115,000 people who read HSM already agree with it..."

- Terra_Cide

Whoa...I must have missed some kind of pop-up disclaimer that said something like 

"By clicking any HSM article, you automatically agree with Norse; your own opinions will be removed. Would you like to continue?" 

What do the other 114,999 of you think?

EDIT: I actually posted that in a reply to the article on HSM itself and it was removed. 

Message 32 of 45 (442 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1023 posts

Aug 18, 2013

Was the tone for HSM like this before? I'm not a normal reader there, but I don't recall being that bad. Or did it change with Norse getting less involved? Anyone have any insight on it?

Message 33 of 45 (428 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3270 posts

Aug 18, 2013

nagon111 wrote:

Was the tone for HSM like this before? I'm not a normal reader there, but I don't recall being that bad. Or did it change with Norse getting less involved? Anyone have any insight on it?

Things had started to change before that. Beside fashion show, wich I don't mind. I haven't saw a "real" machinima in a long time there. You know, with a story and all that... And thats what started me going there.

I remeber some flaming rant from Norse. But, if I didn't agreed with all of them, I never felt insulted before. 

I would not put everyone at HSM in the same basket. There is still really good and dedicated writers there. Just seem they have double standard depending who's the author.

Freedom is not the power to say no.
Real freedom is the power to say yes.

6EQUJ5 Do you copy?

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 34 of 45 (404 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4422 posts

Aug 18, 2013

i actually agree with Norse's views on many Home issues, even if they are not popular to many. And the site has always had talented writers featured and good story topics. But the tone changed just before PS4 was announced as I've seen it, not the entire site only some of the editors  comments. That may also be when Norse started working for LOOT, Terra recently became the community manager for Avikin. 

Message 35 of 45 (384 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Aug 18, 2013

Crazy-88 wrote:

I always complain about prices for the most part, I'll admit that, but last I checked the only flailing crybaby routine I've done is well... when I was a baby to cry?

I look at items, say nDreams compared to LKWD, and regularly if similar designs are made, nDreams will be edgier(graphically), and lesser quality to LKWD, but have a higher pricetag, which I find absurd. On the opposite side of the same coin, gold/silver is regularly slapped onto things for a $3-5+ option by some devs, but just another color to others. Granted, there are those who complain simply for the sake of it, but there are those of who contest prices with valid points.

You, I and everyone else here certainly have the right to complain. The more important point would regard how many people put their money where their mouths are. Or more specifically, keep their money in their pockets.

Anyone who complains about the prices but pays them anyway is only compounding what they see as a problem. I'm not trying to single you out, Crazy, because I have no idea what your buying habits are. I'm just speaking in general terms. I read a lot of complaining on this Forum about Sony, the developers, the products and the prices by the same people who can't wait to go shopping after each content update. nDreams may indeed be substandard compared to Lockwood and gold items may be overpriced because they're shiny but many people still buy them. All the complaining in the world, justified or not, isn't going to bring the prices of those items down.

I think that the Diamond Beach mansion is a ridiculously priced and poorly designed space. Do I feel the need to complain about price gouging? No, I just didn't buy it.

Impulse purchases on Home will keep justifying the price tag as long as people don't have the restraint to avoid them.

In my opinion, the best way to urge developers to lower prices would be to buy their products when they offer discounts. As a consumer, you can show your support for the developer and approval of their offerings while reminding them the sky is not the limit on pricing. I bought the Loot radio bundle and the Hollywood Hills bundle for half-price. I didn't have them on release day but I'm a patient person. I waited over a year to buy Aurora Island but I snagged it for half-price on two accounts. I don't mind spending some money but I'm happy to wait for a deal. If developers see that they can sell ten times more units at a discounted price, maybe they could afford to release the item at a lower price in the first place.

That said, virtual mansions and gold suits do not interest me at any price. I'd rather buy a Starbucks cafe latte than the Diamond Beach mansion. Smiley Wink

castle3
Message 36 of 45 (375 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5755 posts

Aug 18, 2013

There are certain parts of the article I agree with. We are paying for experiences and we are charged what the market will bear. However, part of what the market will bear is expressed HERE on the forums. Community members should absolutely be encouraged to post what they will and will not pay for. Some are more eloquent than others, some are more passionate than others, some are very passionate and...not very eloquent, to put it mildly...but that doesn't invalidate their opinions or their purchasing power. 

Terra may have some choice words for those who complain about high prices, while I may question the sanity of people who bought that $15 gold suit that I personally consider pretty tacky. To me, that was the start of the overpriced Exclusives era. Soon after that, came a $5 toilet from Mass Media, the mansion pieces from Sony that started at $15 and would cost $35 to complete, Diamond Suits, Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire Suit bundles, Diamond furniture, Diamond Beach Mansions. Either enough people will fall for it for the developer to turn a profit and repeat the pricing strategy...or it will fail and the developer will learn their lesson and hopefully price future items more reasonably, if they are able to stay in business. Apparently the market (we, collectively) has been able to bear it so far. That doesn't mean that we, as individuals, shouldn't continue to express what we will and won't pay for. 

"...outline in clear terms what you might actually be willing to spend a premium on."

"...make sure your voice is heard on what you will spend a premium on, because then you might end up with something fantastic..."

These two excerpts seem to have gotten lost amidst the ranting and name-calling, but I think they're the heart of the article. I may have actually enjoyed reading an article based on that premise. It just seems backwards to call people whiny brats and whinging idiots, then ask for intelligent conversation. PS Home is for ages 13 and up, but let's treat everyone like they're capable of expressing themselves in a respectful manner, and maybe they will surprise you and live up to those standards...writers and 13-year-olds included. 

Message 37 of 45 (354 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Aug 18, 2013

I wonder how long untl the usual suspects chime in with some damage control. I'm sure they'll respond to just a select few per usual.

The difference as I see it is that the vast majority of users on this Forum don't have ties to Home developers, nor do they run a 3rd party web-site devoted to it. "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" seems to be a popular mantra over there when users start voicing concerns about anything Home related. I'm not quite sure how the afore mentioned feel that Forum users are being attracted to either the website or the developers they represent when they are constantly referred to in such a disparaging manner.

Message 38 of 45 (286 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

Aug 18, 2013
The developers dont call the shots - we do.

I ROFL every time I see people suggesting that we should gravel at the mighty mercy of the developers. It's like this: If I dont like your product, I wont buy it. If I think it's over priced, I wont buy it. If I dont like the developer, I wont buy from them. Vote with your wallet. You get enough people doing this and 1) It will hurt their sales/profits and 2) It will prove to them that they dont control squat.

Without paying customers, the developers are nothing.

I'll just find another hand to feed from. Theres plenty of em out there. ^_-
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 39 of 45 (269 Views)
Fender Bender
3148 posts

Dec 2, 2013

myalana wrote:

I'm not one to peruse the Home 3rd party sites often. I tend to enjoy reading and posting here in the Home Forum and usually shy away from the other sites. Recently, I read a post by another user that referenced one such site and mentioned an article that piqued my interest. Does Home Have A Middle Class was quite a read in my opinion. Basically, the article blasts Forum posters, (us) for whinging (British verb complaining fretfully) about price gouging over Home virtual items. I'll include a few interesting points:

"I’ve grown exceedingly tired of the same gaggle of whiny brats on the forum who campaign against what they see as price gouging by Home developers. Please. Grow the hell up. If you’ve ever bought tickets and junk food for a movie, paid some ungodly price for Starbucks coffee, or worn anything other than the absolute cheapest clothing label or bought clothes exclusively from second-hand stores, then you have paid a premium for an experience. Virtual goods are no different: they are an experience — and emotional satisfaction — and nothing more."

Interesting. I don't know what to think about this really, but then I guess I always assumed that customers have the right to speak up and to declare their dissatisfaction whether it be the with price of an item, the functionality, or anything else really. I understand that this is an unabashedly Pro-Sony site, with ties to at least a couple of different developers, but just as a former community manager's comments weren't popular with the community when he lashed out at others for criticism, I can't see how such a stance can do anything but alienate others.

Another quote:

"So this doesn’t mean you should blindly spend money on everything just to try to keep the lights on; rather, it means that you should make sure your voice is heard on what you will spend a premium on, because then you might end up with something fantastic and
Home might keep going for a while longer. Or, hey, keep whining about how prices should be lower. That approach sure seems effective, after all."

While I agree with the first statement, the sarcastic tone in the second rather belies the overall message.

So what do you think? Should customers not make their voices heard when it comes to the pricing structure of virtual items in Home? Don't such sentiments do little but serve to divide the community? I'm quite interested in what others think.

Ok, well seeing that I have complained for years about pricing structure in a very open manner, I am taking this thread a little personal... yet I will try to be as short as I can...

I do think that pricing structure warrants talks in these forums... I also still think the prices have been to high... Yet then again I was there when they wanted to charge a monthly price for HOME... I fought it then and would still stand that same ground today... 

The reason HOME has done so well (or seems so if it is not really) is not because of expensive items and entertainment at high costs... Its because of the gaming community... 

I do not see how talks about this should divide the community, I was hoping it would bring them together... 

I also should note I don't think that the Devs should be poor, I just think that they can get a healthy amount while not over charging the everyday gamer...

As for the side talks about Class based on pricing and owned items in HOME... Its a real shame that this talk even needs to be present... HOME was supposed to abolish that by being prided on Gaming Skill with out the Elitism, or class and with out pregudice toward any group of people... 

I do make some very bold statements, and very outspoken Posts, yet everything I write and complain about or thank people for is Honest and heart felt, weather it be sorrow or a pat on the back... I want to see HOME at its best from a gamers point of view (maybe not every gamers point of view, yet my thoughts should count too even if Im not willing to pay 10 bucks for something called a micro transaction, or pay for a game that never gets fixed or pay for stuff that is Glitches that never gets fixed) , I do not wish to see HOME at its richest... If that means the integrity for every one to enjoy financially is at stake... Or fanciest... If that means there are wardrobe wars for real and not just as a game..Or Divided for that matter... Especially when its supposed to bring people together... 

I found a post on G+ a little while ago and reposted it... It says something like I am not better then anyone else, yet I am different... I truly believe this, and I also believe that everyone else is the same... No better yet Different and all of us are individuals and that is what truly makes a great community... Being Gamers is what can link us all together, and I truly believe that is what Home's standing ground should be... 

Im not a limited edition, I am an only edition... Just like everyone else should be...

Who wants to be like someone else?... lol Unless you want to be like Mike... Mike's an awesome Individual... 

Photobucket
Message 40 of 45 (151 Views)