Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Re: Should I worry that my teenage sister

Aug 13, 2010

After reading more of the responses it seems Cap has gone and snooped in his sis' messages. All I can say captain is a change on my stance of things - yes, seeing as you have already done this and this is how you found out about it (not just looking over shoulder), then be honest with your sister and aplogise. Then definitely let her know you're there for her and that this guy shouldn't be saying things like that to her in the way he is because of his and her age.

It might be worth linking her to definitions and examples of grooming so she can realise what a threat it actually is. A lot of young impressionable girls desperately crave love, attention and new exciting emotions from boys even to the point where they will risk their overall safety. And usually if not careful they can become dependent on that sort of attention and try and cut out anyone (like you) who tries to "take it away" so to speak. Handle this one carefully by trying to be supportive but letting your sister know this is dangerous rather than "wrong" and showing her why..

Perhaps this might work.....now usually I'm againzst fake identity and deception but this is a good way of demonstrating the dangers to her without confronting her beforehand. Add the user ID in question stating that you are a "friend" of your sisters' (though I stress PLEASE do not use an account with fake info, that is against Sony's ToS for PSN). Go into home using a female avatar, do what you can to make it look provocative but don't entrap the person. Just hold normal conversations with them and if they start pressing for things or start calling you stuff they shouldn't then just take a snap for when you next speak to your sister. Without wanting to sound cynical, it's likely she will just get mad at him or jealous and upset rather than learn her lesson and how silly it is. But at least there's a chance she will learn a valuable lesson.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 31 of 36 (20 Views)
Wastelander
705 posts

Aug 13, 2010

EdwCarnby wrote:

After reading more of the responses it seems Cap has gone and snooped in his sis' messages. All I can say captain is a change on my stance of things - yes, seeing as you have already done this and this is how you found out about it (not just looking over shoulder), then be honest with your sister and aplogise. Then definitely let her know you're there for her and that this guy shouldn't be saying things like that to her in the way he is because of his and her age.

It might be worth linking her to definitions and examples of grooming so she can realise what a threat it actually is. A lot of young impressionable girls desperately crave love, attention and new exciting emotions from boys even to the point where they will risk their overall safety. And usually if not careful they can become dependent on that sort of attention and try and cut out anyone (like you) who tries to "take it away" so to speak. Handle this one carefully by trying to be supportive but letting your sister know this is dangerous rather than "wrong" and showing her why..

Perhaps this might work.....now usually I'm againzst fake identity and deception but this is a good way of demonstrating the dangers to her without confronting her beforehand. Add the user ID in question stating that you are a "friend" of your sisters' (though I stress PLEASE do not use an account with fake info, that is against Sony's ToS for PSN). Go into home using a female avatar, do what you can to make it look provocative but don't entrap the person. Just hold normal conversations with them and if they start pressing for things or start calling you stuff they shouldn't then just take a snap for when you next speak to your sister. Without wanting to sound cynical, it's likely she will just get mad at him or jealous and upset rather than learn her lesson and how silly it is. But at least there's a chance she will learn a valuable lesson.

Well said!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 32 of 36 (20 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1051 posts

Aug 13, 2010

if shes under 18 and hes over tell him 2 stop or u'll go 2 the police. simple.

Astrocytoma can ruin my life but it can't break my spirit...Ghost minded and in the Shadows. Don't get it? yeah thats because it isn't normal.
Message 33 of 36 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
232 posts

Aug 13, 2010

Wiinterbabi wrote:

if shes under 18 and hes over tell him 2 stop or u'll go 2 the police. simple.

hey i think i saw u at the top gun theater a while ago

Message 34 of 36 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Aug 14, 2010

You should watch her from a distance.. and if its gets out of hand.. as it usually does on home.. then speak up!

If u see me in home come and say hi.. don't let my name scare you
Message 35 of 36 (20 Views)
Wastelander
705 posts

Aug 14, 2010

i wud hunt the due and whoop his *beep*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 36 of 36 (20 Views)
0 Likes