Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/23/2006
Offline
4236 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 19, 2013
This is the exact reason i dont use home like i used to. Too hard to find what im looking for. So many items from using since 2008. Why buy more stuff when it takes so long to find something.
Message 51 of 95 (501 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/31/2011
Offline
676 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

[ Edited ]
Oct 19, 2013

I also cut back because things are starting to take forever to find. Because of the relatively new LMOs and dances, inventory is in the most dire need of a revamp - at the very least separate into companions, M/F dances and LMOs. Personal spaces should be able to be favorited and reorganized.

They also need a "slot" counter in wardrobe, furniture and inventory so we know how close we are to auto-storage kicking in (I'd like an option to turn it off, but this is the next best thing). A deep storage folder is also needed, keyword search would be awesome but maybe I'm hoping for too much. Is there even an item that uses the "both ears" earring category? Seems due for an update.

Message 52 of 95 (477 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Offline
4395 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

[ Edited ]
Oct 19, 2013

When you mentioned a slot counter... It reminds me of another option that would possibly help, and that is page numbers when cycling through items in a folder.

 

You all may have noticed when scrolling down through items in a folder, it loads 20 items at a time.  By having an idea what page an item is on, you can hold down the down D-pad button and count the pages until you are at the one that you think has that item in it.  This can save a lot of time, as you don't have to wait for every item to fully download to go to the next page of items.

 

However, if you have a lot of pages, as many of my storage folders do, it can be easy to lose count.  So if they added a page counter, we could more easily now where to stop to find the item we are looking for.

 

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 53 of 95 (469 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 11/04/2010
Offline
364 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 19, 2013

it exist an EXTREMELY simple solution, quickly faisable which satisfy EVERYBODY!

LET OUR BUYS ON OUR HDD! the mess is entirely the DOWNLOAD fault! no DL, no lag...

 

newsign.jpg


Message 54 of 95 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
Registered: 05/20/2011
Offline
412 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 20, 2013

I've always suspected the Thumbnails to be responsible for the long loading times.

 

I think that because on a computer, when you clean the Harddrive to potentially save up disk space, you'll notice that very long lists that consists of hundreds of files are usually converted from Thumbnails to text only.

 

I have a feeling that it's the same for Home's item management system too. Those heavy Thumbnails need to be replaced by ordinary text, so the servers do not have to load them anymore.

 

Something else that's needed is a list that shows ALL items in the Wardrobe, or the Inventory on only ONE page in text. Such a list could help us remember some items that we would still like to use.

Message 55 of 95 (440 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
Registered: 11/02/2010
Offline
4738 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 21, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

When you mentioned a slot counter... It reminds me of another option that would possibly help, and that is page numbers when cycling through items in a folder.

 

You all may have noticed when scrolling down through items in a folder, it loads 20 items at a time.  By having an idea what page an item is on, you can hold down the down D-pad button and count the pages until you are at the one that you think has that item in it.  This can save a lot of time, as you don't have to wait for every item to fully download to go to the next page of items.

 

However, if you have a lot of pages, as many of my storage folders do, it can be easy to lose count.  So if they added a page counter, we could more easily now where to stop to find the item we are looking for.

 


This makes more sense to me, than a deep storage.  Deep storage just feels like a stop-gap between a "destroy" option or a "gift" option, which I think are more desirable to people in the long term.  But tha ability to organize your inventory (beyond simple sorting options) makes sense to me.

 

I'm a touch compulsive about how I organize my inventory in MMOs, for example. All the weapons go first, then gear by slot, then consumables... etc.  If I could do something similar with my Home inventory I'd be less irritated about load times because I'd know that my animated hand items were on page 11(ish).

 

Good feedback.  I have absolutely no clue if this is something the dev team would dig into, but I'll pose the thought and send forward the idea of page numbers and manual re-organization within storage.


Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 56 of 95 (402 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29264 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

[ Edited ]
Oct 21, 2013

Just as a note the Final Fantasy MMO has limited storage for items and as such is a problem at the moment. We have a couple retainers that can store 175 items each and hopefully when apartments come soon they'll add a storage feature to them.

 

Thank you so much for addressing the inventory issue and talking with us about it. It's a real problem for many of us and a big turnoff at the moment. One can hope that something like this can be addressed along with better sorting and search options. 

Message 57 of 95 (394 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/15/2009
Offline
2781 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 21, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

When you mentioned a slot counter... It reminds me of another option that would possibly help, and that is page numbers when cycling through items in a folder.

 

You all may have noticed when scrolling down through items in a folder, it loads 20 items at a time.  By having an idea what page an item is on, you can hold down the down D-pad button and count the pages until you are at the one that you think has that item in it.  This can save a lot of time, as you don't have to wait for every item to fully download to go to the next page of items.

 

However, if you have a lot of pages, as many of my storage folders do, it can be easy to lose count.  So if they added a page counter, we could more easily now where to stop to find the item we are looking for.

 


This makes more sense to me, than a deep storage.  Deep storage just feels like a stop-gap between a "destroy" option or a "gift" option, which I think are more desirable to people in the long term.  But tha ability to organize your inventory (beyond simple sorting options) makes sense to me.

 

I'm a touch compulsive about how I organize my inventory in MMOs, for example. All the weapons go first, then gear by slot, then consumables... etc.  If I could do something similar with my Home inventory I'd be less irritated about load times because I'd know that my animated hand items were on page 11(ish).

 

Good feedback.  I have absolutely no clue if this is something the dev team would dig into, but I'll pose the thought and send forward the idea of page numbers and manual re-organization within storage.


I do like the idea of page numbers, but please try no to discount the idea of a Deep Storage too quickly, the thought of removing alot of excess (like the 175  fossils) into a secondary storage folder, and then being able to utilize the current storage folder into a usefull secondary wardrobe of used (but not as frequent) items is very appealing.

 

I also would like to echo Joannas comments and say its very much appreciated that your addressing the storage issues directly with us through the forums, thankyou Smiley Happy

Message 58 of 95 (338 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Offline
4395 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 21, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

This makes more sense to me, than a deep storage. 

Thanks, but don't give up on the idea of a secondary storage option - as frankly even with page counters, manual organization of items in storage, search options, and better sort and filter options - having the option to move items we rarely if ever use into their own folder would make a massive improvement to the item management situation.

 

I realize this is all likely out of your hands, but I hope you will convey as best you can to those who can do something about this, that these types of changes would make a huge positive difference to the experience many if not most of the active users in Home would benefit from - and would likely result in an increase in sales.

 

Will it be enough to get people who abandoned Home to come back and give it another shot?  Anything is possible when you take the time to communicate with your customers and let them know you understand and care about their concerns.  Kudos.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 59 of 95 (326 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager
Registered: 11/02/2010
Offline
4738 posts
 

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 21, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

This makes more sense to me, than a deep storage. 

Thanks, but don't give up on the idea of a secondary storage option - as frankly even with page counters, manual organization of items in storage, search options, and better sort and filter options - having the option to move items we rarely if ever use into their own folder would make a massive improvement to the item management situation.

 


I don't mean to imply that I'd give up on the idea.  Instead,if I'm going to pitch ideas, then I need to prioritize.  And in this line of thought I'd rather pitch "Trade/Sell/Destroy" concepts before I pitch yet another layer of storage in an already cumbersome experience. Then, if "Trade/SellDestroy" gets shot down, counter with "what about a fresh look at how storage works?".

 

And frankly, this is in addition to any number of other ideas being discussed as improvements for the platform at any given moment. At its simplest, it's a matter of me choosing my battles.


Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 60 of 95 (317 Views)