PlayStation Community Manager
4738 posts

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 18, 2013

Mermaid-KT wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Perhaps a Deep Storage folder would help if it could be added to the one already uses. That would require however our being able to choose what goes where. 

A second storage folder would be great, and would certainly help until maybe better wardobe management can be implemented.

With over 170 fossils, and many other items I (and am sure others) are unlikely ever to use, to be able to put them into a Deep Storage would free up so much more space in the regular storage, and thus free up our normal wardrobe spaces. With less items in the categories it would also take some of the strain out of the current filters.

I dont know how easy it would be to add a Deep Storage but it may be a quick solution to at least aleviate some of the immediate problems we're all facing, at least until a more suitable solution is found.

If "Deep Storage" led to longer start-up and wardrobe load times, would you still be interested? I'm not trying to imply that it would, but I want to help qualify how much this is wanted.

Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 41 of 95 (467 Views)
Fender Bender
1148 posts

Re: SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

Oct 18, 2013

A "Deep Storage Folder", and a "Last Used" for the Storage Folder would be immensely useful.

I use a MS Database to manage my Outfits . I deleted about 800 Outfits, that used different Hairstyles, tops, bottoms, and accessories, to create quite a few suprisingly different looks. I currently use about 450 Outfits. That does include about 100 Dresses, and 25 Swimsuits.

It used to be such fun creating Outfits. Not anymore.

I have so much in Storage, that if Storage is loading slowly, it can take me 5-15 minutes to recreate an outfit.

Scroll, scroll, scroll, how droll.

So, I bought PS + just for the 48 Save Slots. I can now use a manageable amount of different Hairstyle, Makeup, Skin Color Templates.

I also save money. PS + costs me $50.00 a year.

Since Wardrobe and Storage is so painful to use ; I no longer buy clothes items like I used to.

I save about $250.00 to $300.00 a year.

Last week, I never even went to X7, to look at what's new.

Player Inspect is wonderful. I've bought one item using it.

My Motto : " If I can't find it , I can't use it. If I can't use it, I'm not buying it. "

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 42 of 95 (464 Views)
Fender Bender
2781 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Mermaid-KT wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Perhaps a Deep Storage folder would help if it could be added to the one already uses. That would require however our being able to choose what goes where. 

A second storage folder would be great, and would certainly help until maybe better wardobe management can be implemented.

With over 170 fossils, and many other items I (and am sure others) are unlikely ever to use, to be able to put them into a Deep Storage would free up so much more space in the regular storage, and thus free up our normal wardrobe spaces. With less items in the categories it would also take some of the strain out of the current filters.

I dont know how easy it would be to add a Deep Storage but it may be a quick solution to at least aleviate some of the immediate problems we're all facing, at least until a more suitable solution is found.

If "Deep Storage" led to longer start-up and wardrobe load times, would you still be interested? I'm not trying to imply that it would, but I want to help qualify how much this is wanted.

Thankyou for such a quick response.

At the moment so much time is taken sometimes trying to find an item that it would be a small price to pay for an easy way to find items, as the extra storage folder would free up so much space in the other two categories.

I can only speak for myself, but personally I would be happy to take that chance.

Message 43 of 95 (459 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5718 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Mermaid-KT wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Longer start-up times, yes. Start-up times occur once (unless we get continually booted, but that's another issue), but many of us tend to change several times per session. Longer wardrobe times are exactly what we're trying to avoid though.

Message 44 of 95 (446 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4279 posts

Oct 19, 2013

VIKING5GRL wrote:

Regarding purchases that go to the default hair folder, we should be able to favorite so that our new purchases don't go to the bottom of the list.. takes forever to sort through

Agreed, and in fact this should be the case when items are moved into storage.

As it is now, when items are moved into storage, either manually or forced, they are always placed at the very bottom of the list of items when viewed in the default "None" sort.

The problem with that is that it makes it very time consuming to see what's been moved into storage, especially for folders like Torso, Ornaments, and of course Portables.

If instead, when items are moved in or out of storage they are always placed at the top of the list, not only would it be very fast to find those items, but this would also allow people to manually put items at the top of the list for items they use often but they don't have room to keep them out of storage.  They could do this by moving those items out of storage, then put them right back - thus they would be listed at the top - instead of the bottom, which is what happens now.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 45 of 95 (419 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4279 posts

Oct 19, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Replying primarily to the OP.

New categories for sorting presents a difficult challenge because it would *likely* require developers to resubmit prior content with new metadata for that category. If all items were simply SCE developed items it might be more feasible for us to build a solution that forced work upon ourselves.  Forcing work upon our development community, though, requires deeper consideration.  I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying it adds an interesting layer to the conversation.

The Last Used option is solid and forwarded along.

The navigator stuff is solid too, and already in consideration.

First and foremost - major kudos for responding and engaging in a topic that I know frustrates a lot of people for a very long time.

As for the challenges of creating new categories - I do understand why this may not be worth the effort, but one thing to consider, especially with Portables, most of the different style LMOs (dances, poses/gestures, mounts, avatars) only came out over the last few months from devs still actively trying to sell these items. 

As you can see, even high profile supporters of Home have told you they simply aren't buying many of these items because of how difficult and time consuming it is to find them once they are in storage.  By working with the devs to create new categories among other suggested improvements - this would open the potential market for these items, for which your customers, even those that already purchased them, would be extremely grateful for.

As for Last Used being added to all folders - this would be a big improvement.

You didn't mention it, but probably the greatest improvement to Item management though would be that mush needed secondary storage folder where ONLY items we place in them are kept, and is not simply a spillover like how storage folders are now.

Look I know I can be a hard arse, and I can be highly critical of things I understand and even things I don't understand - but I don't do that because I want Home to fail.  Far from it.  I have always felt Home deserved more and had so much more potential than what has become of it.  You have a small but very dedicated fan base, that if you engaged it more and shared with them the challenges you face instead of mostly just promoting new content - I can almost guarantee you would find understanding and support.

Silence on the other hand is what has largely created a tremendous amount of frustration and anger and created a great deal of the petty arguments that come up on this forum as those who feel Sony is ignoring all these issues while others feel they must defend Sony at all costs and thus flame wars break out and mods are forced to step in.

If nothing more happen to the service other than vastly improved communication between the core dev team, you and us the customers, I for one would be far far far more understanding of all the issues with Home, and a great deal less critical.

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 46 of 95 (411 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4279 posts

Oct 19, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I suspect the opposite would be true - or at least it could be depending on how it is coded - because the nature of 'deep' storage is that its items we don't or rarely use, thus unlike how it is now, those items do not need to be loaded into memory as they are now when we have to dig through storage, loading all those items as each page of items loads up.

So if anything, with a deep storage items, load times, especially in Wardrobe should be significantly faster in terms of going through storage (not deep storage) to find things.

For instance, I suspect I have over 500 items in Torso storage, so when I go looking for something I have to load a huge chunk of those before finding the one I want.  If as I suspect I would, I could place 90% of those Tshirts and such, I would only have to load a small fraction of items.

That said, as others have said, even if for some reason the initial load time or even the initial wardrobe loading time is longer, simply having the ability to finally put items we rarely if ever want in a storage folder that doesn't have items we still ant and use - this would be soooo worth it.

BTW Once again, huge kudos for continuing to discuss this and other issues with the service.  I don't have a lot of hope that we will see the necessary changes to the service to make it the kind of service we all had hoped it would be, but simply having someone such as yourself actively participating in these types of conversations makes the situation a lot more tolerable.

"Like it never happened"

Message 47 of 95 (406 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29264 posts

Oct 19, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

BTW Once again, huge kudos for continuing to discuss this and other issues with the service.  I don't have a lot of hope that we will see the necessary changes to the service to make it the kind of service we all had hoped it would be, but simply having someone such as yourself actively participating in these types of conversations makes the situation a lot more tolerable.

I totally agree. It's so refreshing to have a manager interact with the community at this level. I know that Paul has been a big Home user himself for many years and as such certainly understands how the system works and cares about how the community feels.

One can hope if Home does have a long term future that inventory management will in fact be dealt with big time. 

Message 48 of 95 (387 Views)
Welcoming Committee
9496 posts

Oct 19, 2013
I will chime in and state that I would gladly take longer load times if you could sort out the actual headache inducing mess that the wardrobe and furniture menus have become. I have bought pretty much a card every month for around 4 years and spend much on Home. I have a large wardrobe and furniture. It was a pain years back when the biggest issue was people freezing others. That has been pretty much irradicated so please now handle the storage. I, like Joanna and others have curbed purchasing due to the layout and its restrictions. It punishes those with large inventories as is. Please add a secondary storage and give us better search functionality. By year works. Anything. Please ^_^
Support Forums
Message 49 of 95 (359 Views)
Wastelander
412 posts

Oct 19, 2013

To Tempest_Fire:

Tempest,

What about a Shortcut function, or a Search function for the Home items? Like the /p, /c, /L, for the Chat Channels. Can that not be done?

Cause if it could, then the community wouldn't have to access either the Wardrobe, or Inventory at all. 

Message 50 of 95 (347 Views)