Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Re: Religion in PS HOME

Apr 5, 2010

BRIT-KO wrote:

Hiya Folks,

I was in the new AC area the other week just hanging around lol, when I was approached by two people, they opened the conversation with 'Are you a Christian?', I said yes, wondering where this conversation was going, I was next asked something like 'Would you like to help us spread the word', I said no, I wasn't into that kind of thing.

Don't get me wrong they were both very polite as was I & they did nothing to offend me, however after they continued to talk to me, asking me to 'spread the word' so to speak I did find myself struggling to be as polite as I had previously been up till that point without just walking away & being rude, unless someone is being offensive I never like to do that, I eventually made my excuses & left.

So is there a place in PS HOME for religion & if so did these two guys go about it the right way?

In my opinion - it should be kept right alongside politics. 

JPConway

Message 11 of 39 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1433 posts

Apr 5, 2010

Why the people always find ways to start a fight or polemic?. Any gamer knows that religion is almost inexistent in the gaming world, why Home should be the exception???, religion and politics= fight

Photobucket

Message 12 of 39 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Apr 5, 2010

Anyone remember this???

Ahhhhhhh..... Didn't think so.  lol  XD

Message 13 of 39 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5806 posts

Apr 5, 2010

xBURROx wrote:

religion and politics= fight

ps-Wasn't this thread locked earlier?

The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 39 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Apr 5, 2010

I have my own church that I go to IRL... Although I don't see Home being a bad place for religious people to meet up,,, I do think it's a bad situation waiting to happen if religion is brought up in public spaces within Home,,,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 39 (13 Views)
Wastelander
760 posts

Apr 5, 2010

Rene_Led wrote:

xBURROx wrote:

religion and politics= fight

ps-Wasn't this thread locked earlier?

If "he" can walk on water, and turn water into wine, then unlocking a thread is no problemo!  HAHA!  Smiley Tongue  (I kid, I kid. Hope I'm not offending anyone, lol)

**Edited to fix spelling**

Message 16 of 39 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Apr 5, 2010

In all honesty, if there's no place for "religion" (which I'll use loosely, since most here relate "religion" to "faith"), in Playstation Home, then there's no place for me at all, since my faith isn't some part of me that is sectioned off with yellow "do not cross" police tape, or a locked room. It permeates every area.

So yeah, religion is part of society. Plain and simple. Home is a social app . . . and part of that would include religion, and indeed politics (which I honestly get tired of talking about myself because of how heated even likeminded conversations can get: "Yeah this needs to happen" "Yeah I agree" "YEAH!!!!!!! THEY'RE IDIOTS!!!!!!" and then everyone starts yelling even in agreement! It gets crazy with the people I talk politics with Lol)

But anyways,

Religion is perfectly fine. The difference is pushing a religion of belief onto people. It's fine to talk to people about it, or even bring it up to strangers. That's all fine and dandy just like talking about your favorite football team and trying to convince others that your team is awesome. However, if someone really doesn't want to talk about that or anything, the issue should be stopped. However . . . .don't go reporting people just for talking about something you don't want to hear, unless they ARE pushing you into it and all that stuff.

People need to just learn respect overall. If you respect others, you won't push any beliefs onto them. Likewise if you respect others you won't go reporting people at the drop of a hat just because they talk to you about something you didn't like, and you didn't even bother to ask them to stop.

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 17 of 39 (13 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

Apr 5, 2010

Reverend_M wrote:

In all honesty, if there's no place for "religion" (which I'll use loosely, since most here relate "religion" to "faith"), in Playstation Home, then there's no place for me at all, since my faith isn't some part of me that is sectioned off with yellow "do not cross" police tape, or a locked room. It permeates every area.

So yeah, religion is part of society. Plain and simple. Home is a social app . . . and part of that would include religion, and indeed politics (which I honestly get tired of talking about myself because of how heated even likeminded conversations can get: "Yeah this needs to happen" "Yeah I agree" "YEAH!!!!!!! THEY'RE IDIOTS!!!!!!" and then everyone starts yelling even in agreement! It gets crazy with the people I talk politics with Lol)

But anyways,

Religion is perfectly fine. The difference is pushing a religion of belief onto people. It's fine to talk to people about it, or even bring it up to strangers. That's all fine and dandy just like talking about your favorite football team and trying to convince others that your team is awesome. However, if someone really doesn't want to talk about that or anything, the issue should be stopped. However . . . .don't go reporting people just for talking about something you don't want to hear, unless they ARE pushing you into it and all that stuff.

People need to just learn respect overall. If you respect others, you won't push any beliefs onto them. Likewise if you respect others you won't go reporting people at the drop of a hat just because they talk to you about something you didn't like, and you didn't even bother to ask them to stop.

I agree.  Follow the Golden Rule; "Treat others the way you wish to be treated."

Message 18 of 39 (13 Views)
Gaming Beast
2127 posts

Apr 5, 2010

Reverend_M wrote:

But anyways,

I don't think anyone says there is no room for religion, but no room for religion being pushed upon you. I respect all religions, and believe everyone has a right to religious freedom. I follow my own beliefs, and if they differ from someone elses, I don't appreciate being told my beliefs are wrong, or have that person try to convert me. I don't like it my personal life, and I don't like it anywhere online. I'm online to relax and have fun, not be harassed about my personal, or religious, life.

Rev, do you push your religion on others? I highly doubt it. I have seen you talk respectfully with others, and as far as I'm concerned, pushing religion on others isn't very respectful. Now, if someone asks, then that's a totally different situation.

Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Message 19 of 39 (13 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39457 posts

Apr 5, 2010

opt_05 wrote:

Reverend_M wrote:

But anyways,

I agree.  Follow the Golden Rule; "Treat others the way you wish to be treated."

Some good responses from people, thank you.

i think the Rev put it very well, as did opt, I always try to go about the world without 'blinkers' on, I am always open & actually enjoy discussing other peoples points of view too, I might not always succeed but I also always try to talk to people how I would want to be spoken to.

I am a Christian, I was also not offended in any way by what they had to say, the only awkward part came when I declined their offer of helping them 'spread the word' & wanted to leave, they made that a little difficult for me, everyone is entitled to their views, it would be a boring world if we all had the same views & worshipped the same God, as for considering reporting them, no, not at all, only when something that offends me will I do that.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 20 of 39 (13 Views)
0 Likes