Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Re: Reality Check: some Home developers don't make enough money

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

a1557851 wrote:
ISE is pretty much like any other reward system. If it hits the suggested requirement it outputs the reward. ISE just changes the requirement to just trigger it with some other requirements (like entering a lounge) and output the reward from the list they made. And since gift machine items are treated as reward items, it can be gainable.

Sorry, if you didn't understand what I was asking of you.  But I was asking to know what paid items can you get today from ISE?  In the past Jersquall pointed out that you use to be able to get paid items from the gift machine but that has been fixed.

I also know what ISE is.  I was one of the first members on this BBS to report how maken Home into a game is a bad move and that this could be a problem one day.

Please keep in mind that no where in the OP's post does the OP say that this subject has anything to do with ISE.  I know some of you are trying to make it about ISE but your just going off-topic.  Please re-read the OP's post and if you still think it has to do with ISE please make a post saying how the two are linked.

For someone who has been around for so long, you are blissfully unaware of so much. Others have gone to great lengths to explain things to you in the past, but to no avail. I cannot fathom what satisfaction you derive from disregarding everything that everyone states while insisting that you alone are correct and we just don't understand you. At best your misinformation is confusing, at worst it is dangerous.

Message 51 of 129 (518 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2013

Your_Empress wrote:
It has everything to do with what we are talking about.

Think and open your eyes.

Developers make gift machine items to make money. They don't make the money they could if so many people are stealing it through ISE.

ISE is *not* patched and it never will be on the PS3 Home. Read what I wrote. Open your eyes. Any gift machine item can be obtained through ISE, items that are meant to be paid for.

Developers create and promote game events (such as Granzella, quite often), to sell items so users can increase theri chances of winning those *leaderboard* items.

*All leaderboard reward items, from any developer, as of right now can be obtained through ISE*

That gives developers no reason to create new game events with reward items, unless they go for the code system which costs them much more. Then they may even lose money on the event.

So when they do make game events in Home, they are lucky if they break even. 20 people actually buying stuff to play their game event is *not* going to justify doing it again.

It has everything to do with this discussion.

Open your eyes and think.

I'm done with this thread, you can go argue with yourself about it in a corner. Anybody who thinks before they respond knows what I'm saying is true and has very much *a lot* to do with why developers are not making what they could in PS Home.

Where to start.  Smiley Sad

"Developers make gift machine items to make money"

•  Developers?  As far as I know the only developer to make gifts for the gift machine is "Lockwood".  The OP was talking to people who work for "Heavy Water" so they are not even in the same boat.
  • I've also asked a number of times if you can still get paid items from the gift machine useing ISE.  The answer so far is NO but you use to be able to.  There for this would have nothing to do with what the OP is talking about.

"ISE is *not* patched and it never will be on the PS3 Home"

• If you say so... But I think it already is on "PS3 Home" as we speak.
  • When I said it was patched I was talking about Jersquall and yes that was patched.  Might want to re-read.

"All leaderboard reward items, from any developer, as of right now can be obtained through ISE"

• Point being?
  • All leaderboard "rewards" that I know about are rewards and as rewards they are free.

"It has everything to do with this discussion"

• Well you didn't really bring anything new to the table to work with.
  • So the jury is still out

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 52 of 129 (507 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Angry_Santa wrote:
let me shed a tear for the poor poor developers.

You know if they spent less time whining about their non problems and more time making content people wanted they'd have enough money to swim in.

Santa, I think you have a point on the developers need to make more items that the members here ask for.  But, the point of this post is that the developers are saying that there is no money in it for them.  So why make these items?  It sounds to me like the OP is also saying this is one of the many down falls for Home.  If Sony can't get the developers to make items, spaces and clothening for Home then there is not really any future for Home is there.

Now, I know your expert on this topic maken toys for millions of boys and girls around the world.  But these developers need to feed   there families and pay rent and stuff.  There needs to be money in it for them in order to make all these items that we want to see in Home.

Wow some people just don't know when to quit! ...Oh, I was talking about me (I think). Anyways, on with the show:

1) Devs already create a variety including reskins to offset the lack of income. Not sure if ya noticed but the remaining interested parties are trying to push out as much content as they can because if one thing doesn't sell, they're screwed. Variety guarantees at least some of it sells.

2) You agree with him? King, don't encourage him Smiley Very Happy

3) The future of Home lies with the consumers' interest and spending habits. The head of Game Mechanics pointed that out. Sony could lower fees but that'd only marginally increase revenue for devs and make Home more costly to maintain for Sony. There's  other factors to consider. You can challenge that though it would be wasted energy.

4) There's enough money in Home for companies to break even or make chump change. To many that's just dandy and considered an honest living doing something one enjoys. However, there's not enough money in Home that the devs could go out and buy real life equivalents to the virtual stuff they sell us...say like gold bikinis!

5) Rather than quote you twice I'll address your comment about the gift machine here - Gift machine items ARE paid items. And no any fix to reward-based item hacking will always be at best a bandaid to a deep wound in the programming.

P.S. For the record I've been banned 5 times in succession without making a single post in a thread. I don't know if that says more about me, or if that says more about everyone else! As for anyone spasming to the idea of making the obvious statement that I'm a hypocrite to dabble with some kudo volleyball and evade some of my valid points, jump right in! The water's fine, folks!

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 53 of 129 (480 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Jul 24, 2013

Well said and welcome back Ed. Why you're a more welcome sight than another "Home on the PS4" thread. Please make your I'm Returning to Home and the Forums thread at once Smiley Happy

Message 54 of 129 (444 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3860 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2013

King0fHearts2007 kibitzed:

HearItWow wrote:
So if your business is losing money, the key is to encourage people to steal things?

Seriously?

So if your business is losing money you would not fix an exploit that has been going on for years?  I know I've been saying the same thing over and over again.  BUT!...  The people who use ISE are just doing what Sony ask of us (Open Beta Testers) and that is test the Home beta.  Sony has asked us beta testers to report bugs, expoits and glitches to Sony and thats what they have been doing.  It's not there falt Sony is refusing to fix an exploit.

Also the word steal does not really fit here seeing how the only items ISE works on are free ones.

:^/ No. A real beta tester reports his findings to the developer. I've never seen any ISE proponent/apologist report this exploit in Home's Support forum. Also, real beta testers don't teach others to cheat the system, let alone charge for it. And how much of the money that the ISE script kiddies charge for ISE cheats gets spent on Home's developers, versus getting spent on other fare available in the Playstation Store?

Another thing that ISE's apologists/supporters keep omitting no matter how often it's brought up: ISE hurts other players by stigmatizing items that were intended by the developer to be rare. My Big Tiger gear is an example of this. The complete set, -Big Tiger Ears, Big TIger Feet, Big Tiger Hands- was obtained legitimately by only one hundred players in North America. I was number fifty-two.

However, so many others have them illegitimately that people assume I must have cheated them too, just because it's statistically more likely to meet an ISE cheater than to meet one of only one hundred players who earned them legitimately. That's how ISE hurts me, and other legitimate players like me.

It harms developers, too. To compete effectively against other contenders in that competition, I bought the most expensive complete set of Samurai Armor, and the most expensive weapon, so that I could run through the game as many times as possible, by running through as quickly as possible. Many other players bought the same gear, for the same reason.  Well, if ISE's stigmatization of legitimate, rare things discourages legitimate users from making the effort to obtain them, then the developers lose the sale of the gear that aids gameplay. That's how ISE hurts developers who make games for us to play, and rare prizes for us to win.

Message 55 of 129 (422 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13193 posts

Jul 24, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Angry_Santa wrote:
let me shed a tear for the poor poor developers.

You know if they spent less time whining about their non problems and more time making content people wanted they'd have enough money to swim in.

Santa, I think you have a point on the developers need to make more items that the members here ask for.  But, the point of this post is that the developers are saying that there is no money in it for them.  So why make these items?  It sounds to me like the OP is also saying this is one of the many down falls for Home.  If Sony can't get the developers to make items, spaces and clothening for Home then there is not really any future for Home is there.

Now, I know your expert on this topic maken toys for millions of boys and girls around the world.  But these developers need to feed   there families and pay rent and stuff.  There needs to be money in it for them in order to make all these items that we want to see in Home.

Wow some people just don't know when to quit! ...Oh, I was talking about me (I think). Anyways, on with the show:

1) Devs already create a variety including reskins to offset the lack of income. Not sure if ya noticed but the remaining interested parties are trying to push out as much content as they can because if one thing doesn't sell, they're screwed. Variety guarantees at least some of it sells.

2) You agree with him? King, don't encourage him Smiley Very Happy

3) The future of Home lies with the consumers' interest and spending habits. The head of Game Mechanics pointed that out. Sony could lower fees but that'd only marginally increase revenue for devs and make Home more costly to maintain for Sony. There's  other factors to consider. You can challenge that though it would be wasted energy.

4) There's enough money in Home for companies to break even or make chump change. To many that's just dandy and considered an honest living doing something one enjoys. However, there's not enough money in Home that the devs could go out and buy real life equivalents to the virtual stuff they sell us...say like gold bikinis!

5) Rather than quote you twice I'll address your comment about the gift machine here - Gift machine items ARE paid items. And no any fix to reward-based item hacking will always be at best a bandaid to a deep wound in the programming.

P.S. For the record I've been banned 5 times in succession without making a single post in a thread. I don't know if that says more about me, or if that says more about everyone else! As for anyone spasming to the idea of making the obvious statement that I'm a hypocrite to dabble with some kudo volleyball and evade some of my valid points, jump right in! The water's fine, folks!

BTW Welcome back ed.

WAIT A MOMENT YOU NEVER LEFT IN NA FORUMS, I spot your kudoing some of the post. you never went...

btw i like EdwCarnbyWorlds (Edsworld) Ed always smart at everything

Message 56 of 129 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
412 posts

Jul 24, 2013

Come on, Home devies, let your voice be heard! I can't believe none of them comments in a thread that's about them. Woman Surprised

Message 57 of 129 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Jul 24, 2013

Regine__ wrote:

Come on, Home devies, let your voice be heard! I can't believe none of them comments in a thread that's about them. Woman Surprised

I don't get what's with everyone here. They complain when devs don't speak, then we get that guy from Game Mechanics go completely transparent and everyone burns him like a witch. After the amount of heat he took for simply answering the questions people complained weren't being answered I wouldn't be surprised if any devs speak out ever again. The userbase they are catering to (at least in the discussion forum) are truly embarassing at times.

Yeah Regine__, I'd like them to speak their minds but I don't think it'll happen again.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 58 of 129 (358 Views)
Wastelander
412 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2013

In responds to EdwCarnby:

That's probably the reason why Sony also doesn't communicate. But developers are free to use an anonymous PSN ID for instance to participate in any conversation to speak their minds freely.

I mean, how can the community ever hope to understand the developers position when it can't even normally communicate with them, let alone communicate with Sony? 

Message 59 of 129 (337 Views)
Survivor
1317 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2013

To everyone saying that heavy water left home, didn't they make the retro flyers just a short time ago? I'm not  quite sure they've left home

yup, excuse me, i'm either blind , or blind. 

Message 60 of 129 (333 Views)
0 Likes