Fender Bender
3323 posts

Re: Reality Check: some Home developers don't make enough money

Jul 23, 2013

Interesting thread here, not sure if this is supposed to be a reality check for Sony or Heavy Water or all Developers, either way Developers need to change in the direction like some have stated already "What people want". Maybe the next time somebody request some fancy outfit or clothing stlye in the "suggestion of the month", a developer like "Heavy Water" can bring what these people acctually wanted.

photo 557c3c40-b625-4286-ad5f-95b19a50b165.jpg
Message 11 of 129 (544 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5457 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2013

Joe_Delta wrote:
Or these developers could focus on what sells and not make junk. Look at mass media, they left home when adult diapers and boombox chest didn't sell.

Actually, that's not true. Mass Media made all 3 of the Midways and The Hot Zone, and all the rewards to boot. Mass Media are actually a very well established company and have worked on games like even Darksiders. Home might not be their first priority, but they're there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Media_Inc.

Edit* Also, I reckon that the boombox sold ok. I bought it on all of my accounts because I remember the time where the boombox was pretty much the only form of music you could get.

We haven't always had the selection that we do now.

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 12 of 129 (545 Views)
Wastelander
631 posts

Jul 23, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Joe_Delta wrote:
Or these developers could focus on what sells and not make junk. Look at mass media, they left home when adult diapers and boombox chest didn't sell.

For the record I bought both lol.  But I dont think I ever saw anyone wearing what I can only remember as being a babboons butt. A sore one at that. They made some weird stuff but didnt they also make the midways?  BTW can you still buy their stuff in Home?

Last time I checked, which was a couple of weeks ago, their items are still up for sale at the Midway locations.

Antonio Xul
Message 13 of 129 (535 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Developers know what they're getting into when they agree to work on Home. Expensive dev kits and percentages of sales going to the console manufacturer are standard costs, not just for Home but for all console games.

Lowering those costs would put a little more of each sale into a developer's pocket, but not enough to change the business model. We're talking about dimes and quarters here, based on most Home prices.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 14 of 129 (511 Views)
Splicer
71 posts

Jul 23, 2013

I dont think its quite an easy fix as you think it is. If they charge studios less and have more people developing for home, you run into another problem. You flood the market with new objects from varies studios, but with the same number of users. Basically, more studios taking their share of a pie that is the same size as before. Sure, more studios may be developing, but it means the ones that are on home already will actually make less because each user is only willing to spend so much. Heck, a lot of users probably dont even spend a dime. But then you have newer devs who are also making little money because of it. Just because the SDK is cheap doesnt mean they`ll make enough to sustain themselves.  I think the real issue is lack of users. If you can think of a way to bring in more users who are willing to spend money, you may see more and more items. But lack of users is the real reason Heavy Waters is saying there is no money in Home. It doesnt really matter about Sony's cut. Bring in more users and it fixes all. At least, that's my take on it. Lowering Sonys cut MAY help a LITTLE BIT, but I dont think it would be enough to fix everything you`re talking about.

Message 15 of 129 (508 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13194 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Fly_Mixed_Papi_ wrote:

I made some posts to Heavy Water and they really aren't interested in Home because they can't make enough money to support themselves. Now, this could be from a number of things:

1. Not enough users who spend money in Home

2. Time consuming development process for PS3 hardware

3. Sonny's percentage is TOO LARGE A CUT for developers to sustain themselves and their companies

4. No support from Sony for developers (holding back spaces because of "O&A" concerns)

Meanwhile in http://us.playstation.com/develop/

I think Sony doesn't support Indie-Developers in Home. They should start change the rules on how QA release stuffs without delays

if Heavy Water really want to release stuffs in PS Home...Then start improving on current Artists/find better artists or better yet, Kickstarter 

Message 16 of 129 (485 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5457 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Does this mean Heavy Water have actually left Home now then, or what?

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 17 of 129 (480 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1406 posts

Jul 23, 2013
*applaudes Joe Delta*
...make better stuff and people will buy it. Sell garbage, go out of business.
Message 18 of 129 (470 Views)
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Just my opinion 

1st off developers should let the community vote on what we want. I loved the fact the Joey from ndreams asked us what type of animations would we like the see and he recieve a lot of responses. Some were a little unrealistic but he got true feedbac

2. I think that Sony needs to decided if home is really worth not somewhat worth but really worth it and advertise the good games that we have like Mercia if they ever fix the bugs and Yetis vs Hunters if they added more to the game. Plus the mulitplayer games uproar, no mans land (even though it could use a single player mode) and bootleggers 29. Home has a lot to offer to the casual game player but if you don't put the effort into selling it then it is what it is a somewhat money maker.

Message 19 of 129 (458 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1406 posts

Jul 23, 2013
50 shades of Peeps.
Message 20 of 129 (448 Views)
0 Likes