Jul 23 2013
By: Fly_Mixed_Papi_ Lombax Warrior 165 posts

Reality Check: some Home developers don't make enough money

128 replies 1302 views Edited Jul 23, 2013

I made some posts to Heavy Water and they really aren't interested in Home because they can't make enough money to support themselves. Now, this could be from a number of things:

1. Not enough users who spend money in Home

2. Time consuming development process for PS3 hardware

3. Sonny's percentage is TOO LARGE A CUT for developers to sustain themselves and their companies

4. No support from Sony for developers (holding back spaces because of "O&A" concerns)

Here is the post the response I received from Heavy Water:

"Heavy Water Sadly, there is no money in Home to support a full studio and it fluctuates quite a bit... We will do what we can but its not that easy and we would like to see users create their own worlds,, hence, AGF!"

Heavy Water is promoting their new product due out soon. What do you guys think about Sony & Home and how it's treated? Why is Home not promoted like it should be? If a company can't make a profit, then why would they even bother? I guess this is WHY we see new items for sale update after update, the companies have to make money and Home isn't allowing that!

Sony, you HAVE TO EITHER make your percentage LOWER and/or not CHARGE developers to obtain rights to MAKE ITEMS FOR HOME! Your business sense is flawed in this department. Lower your percentage and DO NOT CHARGE Home developers for the SDK! You already charge and arm & a leg for the developer hardware, do you REALLY NEED TO CHARGE FOR A SDK as well?? So many things Sony has screwed up on with Home is ridiculous. To actually see a developer LEAVE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MAKE MONEY should let SONY KNOW their business tactics are flawed and should adjust to create a SUCCESSFUL PRODUCT!

Honestly, if the SDK was free and the ps3 development hardware was cheaper, we could see TONS of items, spaces, apartments, etc in Home. I understand Sony is a business to make a profit, but if your product is TOO EXPENSIVE for a company to develop for, why would they even chance it? Why would you make developing a virtual item so expensive and time consuming? Sony, do you realize the lost potentianl in the Home app? Have you even bothered to look at other virtual worlsds and how the operate? They make a PROFIT! As one of the, if NOT THE LARGEST electronics manufactures in the world, do you not do your homework? Sony, do you realize the money pit you are ignoring because of your business tactics? WAKE UP and see Home can be a HUGE money maker if you STOP IGNORING IT!

What do the Home users think?

Message 1 of 129 (1,302 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
241 posts

Re: Reality Check: some Home developers don't make enough money

Jul 23, 2013
Or these developers could focus on what sells and not make junk. Look at mass media, they left home when adult diapers and boombox chest didn't sell.
 photo 4f082c05-f120-486c-89cf-2b897b97a2e8_zps5aafc426.jpg
Message 2 of 129 (1,273 Views)
Welcoming Committee
6367 posts

Jul 23, 2013

The only items I own from Heavy Water are the Avalon Keep Noble Dresses and matching shoes. The rest of their product line doesn't appeal to me. I could be wrong but I think most of their items leans toward the male buyers on home. Just my opinion.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 3 of 129 (1,252 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
241 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Yea, the only thig from them that intrest me is the tattoos and most of them are not that great. If your going to develop for the home mass see what people want otherwise it will fail. Killer plants anyone?

photo 4f082c05-f120-486c-89cf-2b897b97a2e8_zps5aafc426.jpg
Message 4 of 129 (1,244 Views)
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Jul 23, 2013

I didn't care for the tattoos at all, BUT I did get the Avalon Keep apt and club house and quite a few of my females friends did purchase the  pinups awhile back.

Message 5 of 129 (1,231 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34149 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Fly_Mixed_Papi_ wrote:

1. Not enough users who spend money in Home

2. Time consuming development process for PS3 hardware

3. Sonny's percentage is TOO LARGE A CUT for developers to sustain themselves and their companies

4. No support from Sony for developers (holding back spaces because of "O&A" concerns)

5. Developer is spending money on making things no one wants to buy

Message 6 of 129 (1,223 Views)
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Don't forget 6!

"Not maintaining their IPs, especially after a serious breakdown." XD

I don't budlist-add on forums, and blank PSN requests get ignored!
Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 7 of 129 (1,217 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Joe_Delta wrote:
Or these developers could focus on what sells and not make junk. Look at mass media, they left home when adult diapers and boombox chest didn't sell.

For the record I bought both lol.  But I dont think I ever saw anyone wearing what I can only remember as being a babboons butt. A sore one at that. They made some weird stuff but didnt they also make the midways?  BTW can you still buy their stuff in Home?

Message 8 of 129 (1,200 Views)
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Someone who used to make things online( not for home or Sony) once told me that if you are online to make money , get off and get  a traditional job. He said one gets online because one likes being online, they want to see what may be possible. If someone's focus is too much on making money they lose their creativity.

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 9 of 129 (1,188 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Heavy water bloooooooooooooooooooows, they'd sell more stuff if they blew a little less.

FF14 WAR
Message 10 of 129 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes