Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Re: Reality Check: some Home developers don't make enough money

Jul 27, 2013
I agree with you 100% if Phil Harrison was still leading this posses home would've been a whole lot better
death note gif photo: Misa tumblr_loagoztWc91qclosuo1_500.gif
Message 71 of 129 (401 Views)
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2013

Message 72 of 129 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Jul 27, 2013

Squint421 wrote:

The main reason for the state of Home is LACK OF ADVERTISING! The only advertisements about Home are only found in Home. Its been like that for years and isn't going to change. Most new PS3 users see the Home tab on the XMB and pass right over it not knowing anything about what it is. Its to late and starting now would be like trying to plug up the Colorado river with 1 tiny pebble. Imo its way past the point of no return. Smiley Sad 

The first person in a long time that speaks the truth.  Home needs to get back into advertisements call people up and see if they want to sell things in Home.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 73 of 129 (378 Views)
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Squint421 wrote:

The main reason for the state of Home is LACK OF ADVERTISING! The only advertisements about Home are only found in Home. Its been like that for years and isn't going to change. Most new PS3 users see the Home tab on the XMB and pass right over it not knowing anything about what it is. Its to late and starting now would be like trying to plug up the Colorado river with 1 tiny pebble. Imo its way past the point of no return. Smiley Sad 

The first person in a long time that speaks the truth.  Home needs to get back into advertisements call people up and see if they want to sell things in Home.

What's interresting, is why would a company NOT want to promote a product they WANT to make money from? It makes zero sense to make something and not promote it! I agree, Home was Phil Harrison's child and without him, Home went to the back burner because the current leader (I forgot his name) didn't "create" Home and took over for a departed exec. He could frankly careless if it did make money since it was alread in production. He was just doing what all execs do, noticed we haven't seen him say anything about Home in awhile or even be on camera about ANYTHING Sony. If Phil Harrison were still here, I think Home would be a lot different from the what we see now. Sad, but true.

Message 74 of 129 (364 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

Fly_Mixed_Papi_ wrote:
What's interresting, is why would a company NOT want to promote a product they WANT to make money from? It makes zero sense to make something and not promote it! I agree, Home was Phil Harrison's child and without him, Home went to the back burner because the current leader (I forgot his name) didn't "create" Home and took over for a departed exec. He could frankly careless if it did make money since it was alread in production. He was just doing what all execs do, noticed we haven't seen him say anything about Home in awhile or even be on camera about ANYTHING Sony. If Phil Harrison were still here, I think Home would be a lot different from the what we see now. Sad, but true.

Your right!  Sony is not promoteing Home...  But, Sony also needs to get other big companies in to help.  Think about what could happen to Home if Sony where to team up with Coke or Pepsi?  Use Pepsi points to buy items in Home.  Or...  What about McDonalds?  They have the Monopoly game going on right now what would happen if they had one or more of the prizes be an item in Home?  What about when Sony teamed up with 7/11 to give away Home items did that work?  YES!  So if you ask me someone on the Home team is not doing there job.

Is it to late?  I think it might be...  Think about it if these ideas worked people would run out and buy new PS3's after winning a Home prize.  But does Sony want to sell more PS3's?  Knowing that people who run out today and buy new PS3's are less likely to go out and buy new PS4's latter on this year.

The biggest lost Home ever took was the lost of Phil Harrison.  Most of his ideas have never made it onto Home.  Home had everthing it would ever need to be a huge success.  But after Phil left the team Home never became unique and in other VR worlds you can even do more then what you can do in Home.

GAPHome

General

Message 75 of 129 (341 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
676 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

Cyber_Descendant wrote:

I just bought the 9.99 disco avatar from them and I love it. The jugarnaunt disco ball companion goes well with it.

That's Hellfire Games, I'm pretty sure they're still alive and well in Home. I have the discobot as well, great outfit but I think they missed out on not releasing a female version.

Message 76 of 129 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

Jul 27, 2013

O yea, Some are still looking for folks to hire...just sayin...Smiley Wink

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Message 77 of 129 (317 Views)
Fender Bender
3644 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Dr_Do-Little wrote:

Some people need to realize Home paying user base is not that big. With the increase of weekly content release we saw over the last 2 years the chances of turning a profit on one item is getting slim. How many 2-5 bucks items you need to sell to make a living? Development cost, business expense, Sony's cut...

Remember when we used to see half a dozen Avi wearing the cool new outfit of the week in every popular public space? We don't see that anymore and even then Home wasn't the cash cow some people think. There is just too much cool stuff for the limited paying user base.

How many LMO's, private place, shirts, pants, dress you can ask the average user to buy? Sure there was a couple bad idea. One mistake shouldn't drown a company. It's when you can't turn out a profit on good idea that the problem start.

What I see in a near to mid range future is some dev leaving while the smaller one getting stronger.

Should Sony put more effort in advertising Home? For our sake, yes. But I think they have other, more urgent matter on their priority list.

I agree with you... Sadly Home is not a Priority for a corporation like Sony. Why should it be? Right now HOME is a transaction based kiddie land. Yes it has hundreds of games, yet the few really Good games have already been played by those in the program that come to it for gaming, and we (the gamers) are not seeing much in the way of new ones... Instead we are seeing extras being exploited for the funds. Yes there is a huge mix of people in HOME yet Gaming is what got it all started.

Now I can not say that Gaming has been forgotten we still have amazing Devs that produce games and try to keep up with them, yet due to pricing they might not do as well as they should.

Then on the other hand we have tons of those people in HOME that like to buy clothing and extra items... So the charts for the devs at some point pointed them in the direction of those items for profits. Yet the charts can not tell them why the people stepped into that store in the first place... That would be where it would be imperative to be part of the community. Some Devs do emerge themselves in the community, yet some fail to actually do it as part of the community rather then above the community. In doing this they have forgotten why they are here making those items in the first place. 

However if we saw more community immersion games I feel the clothing item purchase would increase again, especially if the items were game related. It would greatly help if the items were back to micro transactions... If you buy a game and you have 80 cents left on your account, and you are playing a game where you could get a matching hand item for 50 cents, and you really liked the game, you would be inclined to get that item. Now that same item is going for 249, and you have 80 cents on your account, and the items has nothing to do with gaming... Um no not so likely to go buy a 20 dollar card to purchase that item, you might be more likely to go to the store and by a new game to play on disk that was used for the same 20 bucks... 

Not being primary for gaming advertising and high prices are killing Playstation Home... We are lots of things, (the community is extremely diverse) Yet everyone is a gamer (I believe all they need to do is find the right game - even if they do not consider themselves a gamer.) so Keeping its as a gaming portal network would be most logical. All that other stuff we should be secondary. 

photo NewVLR-1.jpg
Message 78 of 129 (289 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Jul 30, 2013

UltraPSX wrote:

Cyber_Descendant wrote:

I just bought the 9.99 disco avatar from them and I love it. The jugarnaunt disco ball companion goes well with it.

That's Hellfire Games, I'm pretty sure they're still alive and well in Home. I have the discobot as well, great outfit but I think they missed out on not releasing a female version.

Are Hellfire Games still out there?  There not maken to much new things for us if they are.

GAPHome

General

Message 79 of 129 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Hellfire Developer
775 posts

Jul 30, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

UltraPSX wrote:

Cyber_Descendant wrote:

Are Hellfire Games still out there?  There not maken to much new things for us if they are.

We're here, and we're hard at work on FIVE Home projects at the moment. Our small team can only focus on a couple at a time, which is why you haven't heard too much from us since the latest Retro Flyers release on July 10th. Home Tycoon is also still fairly new in Japan, and we've been busy supporting the game in that region with content every week.

Get ready, though. We've got something special coming to all regions very soon... something never done in Home before! Robot surprised

Like Hellfire Games on Facebook and sign up for our e-mail newsletter for exclusive updates & giveaways!

Message 80 of 129 (243 Views)