Mar 14 2010
By: anthonyjh Sackboy 544 posts

Public voice chat

31 replies 9 views Edited Mar 14, 2010

I just did a board search for any information on this and the only results were over three months old, so I'm going to make a thread. Looking at some of the responses in those old threads it appeared that most people were getting tired of seing this question repeatedly pop up, but I'm curious to know if there has been any development within the last few months.

Is public voice chat coming back to Home? I was a daily user through multiple beta phases and the "full release" up until they axed voice chat. Some of the people that I play with daily still today are people that I met back in Home. I'd really love to see this feature back again. IIRC, it was removed to cut down on lag and connection issues; but some people postulated that it was really because of the constant harrasment complaints. Has there been any talk at all? Is it a feature that any of you even care to see brought back?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 32 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Re: Public voice chat

Mar 14, 2010

anthonyjh wrote:

I just did a board search for any information on this and the only results were over three months old, so I'm going to make a thread. Looking at some of the responses in those old threads it appeared that most people were getting tired of seing this question repeatedly pop up, but I'm curious to know if there has been any development within the last few months.

Is public voice chat coming back to Home? I was a daily user through multiple beta phases and the "full release" up until they axed voice chat. Some of the people that I play with daily still today are people that I met back in Home. I'd really love to see this feature back again. IIRC, it was removed to cut down on lag and connection issues; but some people postulated that it was really because of the constant harrasment complaints. Has there been any talk at all? Is it a feature that any of you even care to see brought back?

I like you already! Thanks for taking time to search. I think it will come back and hopefully in a reformed manner.  I would like to see it available for use only with those on our friends list. There are others here who have even better ideas and hopefully they post.

Last we heard was maybe by end of 09 we might of gotten it back but that has come and gone. We have heard nothing lately.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 2 of 32 (9 Views)
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Mar 14, 2010

I personaly am glad it's out an if it does come back Home it going to loose my member ship cus I'm totaly not getting on a place where people are playing stupid rap songs over the mics and loads of other stupid crap Home is fine like it is y be lazy and use a mic when you can just type the same stuff if you want to mic people add them as a friend n call em or invite to your personal space... I think it was dumb for hometo put it in first of all cus now people won't shut up about bringing it back     

Message 3 of 32 (9 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Mar 14, 2010

I'm definetly glad the public voice chat is gone due to the immature people talking nonsense.  I think it would be better if theres was a group chat where you can only talk with your friends all together.  Blaintly put, open mic chat with all your friends at the same time.

Message 4 of 32 (9 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
544 posts

Mar 14, 2010

If I remember correctly, couldn't you mute all mics in your area with an option through the "Select" menue? I think that would be a nice way to have it set up. For those that are willing to brave the decidedly unfunny shenanigans of Home's less desirable users, they could select an option that would allow voice chat for all; and for those that just don't want to put up with the kiddies, they could select an option that would only allow voice chat with people on their freinds list or not at all. A decent compromise all around I'd think.

Also, big thanks for the info Jersquall.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 32 (9 Views)
Survivor
2677 posts

Mar 14, 2010

Last I heard No its not coming back. When we did have it all I heard was racial and sexist remarks.There was groups who sought out certain people and harassed them.  Im glad they removed it. They would loose so many users if they even thought about bringing that back.

Message 6 of 32 (9 Views)
Survivor
2641 posts

Mar 14, 2010

usergentoo wrote:

Last I heard No its not coming back. When we did have it all I heard was racial and sexist remarks.There was groups who sought out certain people and harassed them.  Im glad they removed it. They would loose so many users if they even thought about bringing that back.

Where did you head that? Can you provide us some proof?  

Thank you!

Message 7 of 32 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Mar 14, 2010

PaperCarrier wrote:

usergentoo wrote:

Where did you head that? Can you provide us some proof?  

Thank you!

CydoniaX said it's coming sometime in 2010 (Which is this year) So probably sometime this year it will return.

Message 8 of 32 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Mar 14, 2010

Until we hear otherwise the word is that it is coming back. we still have no time frame, and like Jer said they are working to make it far more feature rich. One of the principal issues with it was the lag it put on the servers, it put such a stress on Home that they had to remove it. 

@Jim777PS
Message 9 of 32 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Mar 14, 2010

Jim777 wrote:

Until we hear otherwise the word is that it is coming back. we still have no time frame, and like Jer said they are working to make it far more feature rich. One of the principal issues with it was the lag it put on the servers, it put such a stress on Home that they had to remove it. 

Please stop with the lies none of the Home staff ever said that public voice chat was taken away due to lag.  No matter how many time's you say it Jim777 you have no facts to back it up with.

GlassWalls wrote:

The Voice of *MOD* is speaking--so listen up!

(Also if you see people asking the same redundant thing in other threads, kindly point them here)

SYKLOPS is onto something. The voice/mic chat got removed from the public spaces of Home for various reasons: 

--some for profanity

--some for worse offenses compounded with verbal expression, (srsly?)

--some for legal reasons (not `splainin' more than that, so please don't ask)

--perhaps some even for bandwidth reasons, since some folks' broadband is much broader than others (this I cannot confirm and personally doubt)

We are not sure if it's coming back to public spaces, but I personally hope so. I think it makes the experience more enriching and human. That said, you'd never hear my voice anyway, but I love hearing yours.

And it's true, thank you BPatches701, everyone is empowered to mute others. I am a big fan of it. Wouldn't it be great if real life was that easy? Walk down the street, see some sketchy freak who's spouting off about something ridiculous or heinous and *poink!* They're instantly not verbally polluting the world you live in. The same goes for blocking users who are unsavory, uncouth and generally uncool. The mighty power of the Mute is self-empowering, simple and effective. So please continue to submit reports when someone is offensive, but if it's not a huge bother to you, then just mute them.*poink!*

So let's hope it comes back. Meanwhile, enjoy it in your Personal Spaces and Clubhouses. I know I will. Meanwhile, would you all do your part in educating folks on how to Mute or Block people they find offensive? Home is a community and n00bz always need a little help, especially from you oldskool and loyal Users. 

(I nominate the official sound for Mute as *poink!*)

click here

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 10 of 32 (9 Views)