Jan 16 2011
By: jin-zou Lombax Warrior 179 posts

Promo Codes

15 replies 1214 views Edited Jan 16, 2011

We could just create a topic and instead of copy and pasting the promo codes on here... put the link to re-direct us where are codes are posted.

This is NOT breaking the rules because the codes are "not posted on the forums". It's simply a link outside sony to reveal the codes.

I'm quite positive if this is not allowed, the number of users who come on the forums will decrease in numbers because some people only go on the forums for promo codes.

As you can see, people are getting upset because code sharing is no longer allowed on the forums.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3398852?tstart=0

Message 1 of 16 (1,214 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
194 posts

Re: Promo Codes

Jan 16, 2011

If we are allowed to do this, I like this idea.  I know there are many sites with PlayStation Home forums like Alphazone 4.  If we could get people to use them, this would be a good idea.  Sony would be happy because their forums would not be spammed with codes, and the users would like it because they could still enjoy promo codes.

Get your Portable ID!

60 GB PS3 owner since 2007
Message 2 of 16 (1,214 Views)
Sackboy
530 posts

Jan 16, 2011

Jin dude, I think posting a direct link is the same thing, because technically the link would start in these forums. I'm not sure but we'll have to see after the weekend. If all these links get removed on Monday we'll have our answer.

Message 3 of 16 (1,214 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jan 16, 2011

It is the same thing guys..

We do not get to many promos, but the codes we get from (7-11)Slurpee, Schick Products and Subway have been very popular here in the past. There should be a place to share these codes but if we can not do it here then we will find a way. We always do.

Now, If you have access to other forums or blogs, Twitter or anything like that then post your codes there and let others know. We are home users and we know how to do this.. and how to find things. I know you guys can put something together, drop a link in a sig, Come on! get creative gawwwd!

Jers

HomeStationMagazine
Message 4 of 16 (1,214 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Jan 16, 2011

tdarb wrote:

Keep in mind that these promotional items are available through a contract etween sony and a third party. These promotions are designed to bring traffic into Home, but more importantly they are designed to move product for the third party. If these third parties come onto the forums and see that the codes are being given away for free here, or that Home Volunteer staff is freely encouraging people to work around these contracts to distribute the codes, then it becomes less likely that these promotions will be as available in the future.

If I am a marketing guy considering a Home promotion to sell my companies super awesome fun hats, and during my research find that lots of people are just getting the codes without ever buying a product, why would I waste my time with it? Why would I go to the trouble and expense of designing new packaging, preparing promotional materials (commercials, signage, etc), and poring over contracts, if Sony just lets people post the codes for free on their forums?

I'm sure they fully expect some codes to slip out, but they shouldn't expect their partner in the promotion to enable or support it.

It's a nickle and it's mine!

tdarb,

if i have a one-time use code that I have no use for, why shouldn't i be able to give it to someone who wants it? how is the business going to be hurt? that person can use the code to get a Home item, then other people will ask them about the item, and the business gets word-of-mouth advertising on Home

and if a business releases a universal code, why shouldn't people use it? that's what it's for, isn't it?

Message 5 of 16 (1,214 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Jan 16, 2011

What on earth are you talking about? I have not tried to smear anyone. All I did was post an opinion.

Message 6 of 16 (1,214 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Jan 16, 2011

I already have 10 points. I got them using another forum. The traffic that should be here is just going elsewhere. Sorry but the management team here is biting it's nose to spite it's face.

Considering the level of activity here lately it doesn't take much to figure out why.

If it's a LEGAL issue I'd like to see the HCM"s explicitly say so. And personally I doubt putting links to codes here in this forum to other sites is going to fly.

Message 7 of 16 (1,214 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Jan 16, 2011

Aeternitas33 wrote:

tdarb,

if i have a one-time use code that I have no use for, why shouldn't i be able to give it to someone who wants it? how is the business going to be hurt? that person can use the code to get a Home item, then other people will ask them about the item, and the business gets word-of-mouth advertising on Home

and if a business releases a universal code, why shouldn't people use it? that's what it's for, isn't it?

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3391/aeternitas331.png

That's not what i am saying at all. What i am saying is that sony has entered into contracts with these companies to provide a mutual benefit. If you have a spare code you want to give away, have at it. It's your code to do what you want. It's just that it would be improper for sony to provide a platform for people to exchange and use those codes without actually taking part in the promotion. 7-11 wants to sell slurpees, not give people LBP backpacks for free.

I don't have a seven eleven within 100 miles of me, so it's not like I am saying "if you don't have a 7-11 then deal with it". I understand the frustration, but I can see why sony would want that type of sharing off the forums.

The reason for universal codes is expense. It costs far more to print several hundred thousand individual codes than to use a few universal ones for a short term promotion, and it opens things up to a much larger potential for errors.

Message 8 of 16 (1,214 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Jan 16, 2011

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

I already have 10 points. I got them using another forum. The traffic that should be here is just going elsewhere. Sorry but the management team here is biting it's nose to spite it's face.

Considering the level of activity here lately it doesn't take much to figure out why.

If it's a LEGAL issue I'd like to see the HCM"s explicitly say so. And personally I doubt putting links to codes here in this forum to other sites is going to fly.

In hindsight it was an error on Sony's part to change the forums and at the same time post these new rules. If I need to relearn to use these forums, I might as well learn to use Carla's (thx for 12pts) or someone else's for that matter. 

Message 9 of 16 (1,214 Views)
PlayStation Support
1180 posts

Jan 17, 2011

Sorry all, but sharing links to other forums for the purpose of sharing codes is essentially the same as sharing codes, and will be removed. Please do not start threads about ways to get around the rules. Thanks.

Locking this thread.

PlayStation Moderation and Support
Message 10 of 16 (1,214 Views)