Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

Re: Positive people need to be more vocal!

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2013

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

I know that you had a bunch of spaces. That's why I accounted for 600 apartment layout files in my estimate. If you're including the cache then obviously we're talking about a lot more memory used but the cache stores public spaces for quicker load times.

The point is that game save files and apartment layouts use negligible hard drive space. 250 vs 120 GB makes little difference.

The average file size for a saved home aprtment layout would be around 2500 KB,(estimate)

Which would mean it would take over 420 home apt layout saves to even make a 1 megabyte dent.

Again, transfer rate over the internet for a 2500 KB file is not even a blink of a eye.

MsLiza is correct in the red above.

Edit:

For Home files saves only.

Message 41 of 48 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Jan 27, 2013
Ur correct Lisa, I didn't have anywhere near 200 let alone 600 lol! But yeah it was most definitely all in the cache size. Which since its all being uploaded to a cloud when the update comes out I don't have to worry about the cache size anymore.... And yes, on this account that I'm using now I have upped my cache size because my Internet is so slow I've waited over 30 minutes to download the fubar space and that's something I don't want to do everyday.
Message 42 of 48 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3332 posts

Jan 27, 2013

Snowstone wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

I know that you had a bunch of spaces. That's why I accounted for 600 apartment layout files in my estimate. If you're including the cache then obviously we're talking about a lot more memory used but the cache stores public spaces for quicker load times.

The point is that game save files and apartment layouts use negligible hard drive space. 250 vs 120 GB makes little difference.

The average file size for a saved home aprtment layout would be around 2500 KB,(estimate)

Which would mean it would take over 420 home apt layout saves to even make a 1 megabyte dent.

Again, transfer rate over the internet for a 2500 KB file is not even a blink of a eye.

MsLiza is correct in the red above.

Edit:

For Home files saves only.

Didn't expect it to be that much.. Wow...to me I don't see this as a good or bad thing...

photo tumblr_ltj7u6nyrU1qetp61o1_500_zpse82365c3.gif
http://auroraterra.deviantart.com/
Message 43 of 48 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
634 posts

Jan 27, 2013
Very nice posting! I believe in always looking at both sides of an argument, but arguing can be positive even if you are on an opposing side. So I'm with you Kryptic! Kudos! Let's be more vocal about positive things.
Message 44 of 48 (191 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2013

Snowstone wrote:

krypticLyfe wrote:
Ur correct Lisa, I didn't have anywhere near 200 let alone 600 lol! But yeah it was most definitely all in the cache size. Which since its all being uploaded to a cloud when the update comes out I don't have to worry about the cache size anymore.... And yes, on this account that I'm using now I have upped my cache size because my Internet is so slow I've waited over 30 minutes to download the fubar space and that's something I don't want to do everyday.

I don't mean to keep side-tracking this topic with statistics but even 2500 kB is way too high.

If you check your Saved Data Utility folder, you'd see that apartment layouts are only around 75 kB or less.  Some of the settings files are larger but not by much.  Those are the files that will be transferred to the servers in the update.

Regarding the amount of HDD memory that the Cache consumes. I'm not sure how this update affects it.  I've read posts suggesting that we will no longer need the Cache once our files have been uploaded to the server.  I could be wrong but I don't see why this would be the case.  We'll still need to download public spaces and the bulk of the private spaces like we always have.  The only difference is that we'll have to download our tiny apartment layout files and character settings as well.  What would be the point of eliminating or even modifyling the Cache?

I think Danger_Dad explains all this info quite well in the thread specific to the 1.75 Patch so I'll quit posting about it here.

castle3
Message 45 of 48 (182 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2013

krypticLyfe wrote:
We all see a lot of complaining on these forums, and many have good reason too. What I have noticed though, just doesn't seem right to me. Those who complain, especially those who complain just to have something to say, are way more vocal than those who are happy about something. When someone defends what they like, they are attacked brutally and usually only few if any ce to their defense. I was looking forward to the update very much, and now it's pushed back. I personally believe its because more people were heard complaining than not. I guilty of not speaking up as well, but no more! I want this update! I hated having my HDD cluttered by the Home saves! I look forward to the other changes! I want the friggen ice palace and all it's beautiful blueness! I think GW is doing all Sony of America is allowing him to do and isn't granted the freedom that SCEA and the other regions allow their mods to do! And gee golly wow SOA Home is the best by far, and I LOVE the new Hub!!!! Well, ok, I would rather have CP back, but you get what I'm saying.
  1. Do you understand the point of Home?  This is an open beta Sony want's our feed back on Home.  Just saying something dumb like "I like Home" or "Home is fun" does nothing for Home.  Think of it the way a programer would think of it.  When you give lame feed back like "I like Home" as a programer how can you use that info to make Home better?  Thats right you can't!!!  Now when you point out all the bugs of Home like this upcoming update given us more lag and it might not work with PS3 games.  Now thats helpful.
  2. Have you checked to see just how little room Home takes up?  On my PS3 I looked it up it was only about 700kb.  It's not taken up any room on your PS3.
  3. Lets also not forget you can also "clear your cache" that will free up a lot of room on your PS3 when it comes to Home.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 46 of 48 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Jan 27, 2013

NorseGamer had an iron-clad rule for the HSM writers:  "positive, constructive criticism".  Instead of   "I hate that friking Mansion", the approach is "it would probably be more successful without the rock-star wannabe bling".  Now that Norse has left Home (he was hired by Loot and moved to Los Angeles), that part of his original mission statement remains.  Why?  Because that is what the readers of HSM want: no negative rants and no 'pollyanna platitudes' either.  The new editor-in-chief, Terra-Cide, reported that, according to the geometrics we are averaging almost 20,000 readers each month, so a lot of Home users like that approach. 

Open discussion in this Forum is still of value - as long as it is discussion of issues.  When it degnerates into personal attacks on others who post here, all value is lost.  I no longer post here, except on rare occasions, for that reason. 

Message 47 of 48 (139 Views)
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jan 27, 2013

Also, vocal people need to be more positive that they aren't just spewing back the same rhetoric that they were spoon-fed by those with an agenda. It works both ways.

Message 48 of 48 (125 Views)
0 Likes