Apr 02 2014
By: D-Nitrate Treasure Hunter 4495 posts

Polar Rush - Tundra Lodge Review / Guide / Suggestions

[ Edited ]
36 replies 1237 views Edited May 5, 2014

Polar Rush - Tundra Lodge: Racing

First some back story before we get to the good stuff...

REWARD INFO:

Spoiler

There are 9 rewards owners can find in this space (currently there are no guest rewards for this space):

Mon = Dining Chair
Tue = Dining Table
Wed = Ice Tub
Wed = Armchair
Thu = Bar 
Fri = Bar Chair
Sat = Faux Fur Rug
Sun = Cuckoo Clock
Sun = King Sized Bed

Anyone can also get a reward (Toboggan Coffee Table) by entering the Open House public space.

Unlike most LKWD spaces which base each new day by Midnight GMT, for this space it is based on Midnight for the Time Zone set for your PS3.

Like other LKWD spaces, to get a reward you have to find the floating animated golden LKWD marker like this:

However unlike most LKWD spaces, the reward markers are not randomly placed, but show up in the same spot on the same day as everyone else, making them much easier to find with help from those that have already found them.

Here is a map I made showing the location and date of each reward:

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_26b.jpg

Here are pics of each location on the map where you can find the reward marker (replaced by Santa Claus) Smiley Happy

Mon = Dining Chair
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_88.jpg

Tue = Dining Table
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_86.jpg

Wed = Ice Tub
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_92.jpg

Wed = Armchair
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_90.jpg

Thu = Bar 
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_89.jpg

Fri = Bar Chair
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_129.jpg

Sat = Faux Fur Rug
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_85.jpg

Sun = Cuckoo Clock
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_87.jpg

Sun = King Sized Bed
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_91.jpg

REVIEW INFO:
Spoiler

When I first visited this space (LKWD's Polar Rush: Tundra Racing personal space) I was really taken by several things like;

PROS

1) Beautiful detail in the graphics, like the way the water looks in the pools near the lodge and the vast lake (they even added nice detail to the bottom of the pools and lake, the detail of the wood, stones, boulders, fence, cabin, campfire, etc. They even added snowmobile tracks in the snow following the twisting route around the space, and dirty trails in the snow to show frequently used paths in the snow.

2) Creative architecture and landscaping of the lodge, like; the tunnel through the rock; the design of the walkways over the pools, the roof of the cabin which can be climbed as well as used as a ramp to jump off with the snowmobiles.

3) Snowfall effect that just makes you feel chilly in a good way.

4) Vast open space for exploration.  

5) Inviting Cabin that despite being very small and dark inside, it has a wonderful looking fireplace with a fire that has a terrific crackling sound and that illuminates everything inside the cabin, except for the interior of the cabin itself oddly enough.

6) A campfire near the tallest point of the space with great views of the rest of the space.

7) The daily rewards (9) are almost all quite nice with some really nice detail in their design.

8) Very fun built-in Snowmobile activity (not really a game in its default design)

Yes, there are some obvious flaws and things missing that would have made this space even better, like;

CONS / SUGGESTIONS

1) A time of day change (how cool would it be to race by moonlight, and to hang out with friends at the campfire at night, or see the moon's reflection on the lake from the comfort of the lodge?  LKWD already have similar time of day options in other spaces, and even recently added one to their Dream Island.  

Curiously though, if you look closely, there are over 100 light fixtures built right into the lodge and out on the decking and walkways - all of which are turned on, despite the space not only being set during the day, and quite bright do to the high contrast of the snow - so many if not most of those lights can not be seen easily. This may be an indication that they originally planned to have a day/night option and perhaps either couldn't make it work the way they wanted to and scrapped it, or hopefully its a sign they plan on adding the day/night option at a later time, as they just recently did with their Dream Island space?

2) Option to toggle on/off the snowfall.  Yes, its 'pretty' and offers a very nice effect, but sometimes the snowfall also gets in the way, and ruins pics taken in the space.  Again, this option is nothing new, and has been included in other personal spaces, including LKWDs.

3) It has no NPC wildlife, which is unfortunate as it has such a large wilderness area, it feels weird not to see or hear any 'life'.  I placed a couple animal ornament items outside which kind of helps - even better though is when friends come over and use some of the animal avatars from VeeMee, like the Grizzly Bear, Polar Bear, Wolves, Elk, etc.

4) Which leads to my next disappointment, and that is the lack of sound.  In fact I think the only thing in that space that makes sound is the fire in the cabin,  Even the campfire fire doesn't have any sound.  I would have truly enjoyed even just having some kind of gentle wind sounds, and certainly the same fire crackling sounds at the campsite as there is at the cabin.

5) I wish the lodge was a bit bigger - the rooms are fairly tight fitting with relatively low ceilings which not only limit decorating them, but also play havoc with the R1 camera angles due to the proximity of the walls and ceilings that cause the camera POV to change rapidly.

6) More built-in items to give the owner more slots for more creative uses than simply giving it a lived in look. 

7) A more convenient way of decorating outside the lodge.  There isn't even a spawn point in the cabin or campfire, despite the fact that you do not have to be a glitcher or hacker to get items outside and to place them where ever you like, and that they do not interfere with the snowmobile activity... so it begs the question why didn't they just make decorating outside easier?

8) A built-in option to make the snowmobile activity an actual game, like setting up races with a start and finish line and for the game to keep track of best times and wins with some kind of leaderboard.

Which is what led me to this idea of buying this space and making it into some kind of racing club...

BTW: Just to let all the self-appointed Hall Monitors know, as well as any Moderators that may not be familiar with Home - all of the following pics are allowed to be shared on this forum, and none of them involve any hacking of the Home software, instead everything I will show is done using the Home software exactly as it is programmed to do.

First let's start with the course, which becomes much more obvious when you look at it from above:

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_19.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_26.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_26track.jpg

START

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_32.jpg

Now that is the spot you'll always start at when you activate the snowmobiles from the default location under the lodge:

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_93.jpg

This is also the longest of the two straightaways, so enjoy it while it lasts. Smiley Wink

TURN 1 - Overlook

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_34.jpg

This is a fairly wide open banked right turn, just be careful not to cut it too close to the rock on the right as you enter the turn.

TURN 2 - The Christmas Tree

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_37.jpg

Named for the tree on the right after you exit the turn... due to the fact that many a rider has left paint markings on the trunk and parts of their bike hanging in it's limbs like ornaments in a tree for taking the turn too wide. 

TURN 3 - The Frying Pan

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_79.jpg

This isn't so much a difficult turn, as much as it leads to a very brutal one...

TURN 4 - The Boulders

Spoiler

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_81.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_82.jpg

This is a very controversial turn and created some interesting debates as well as some horrific crashes and carnage.  Due to the high contrast of the snow, especially when racing, it is easy to think that going right of the second boulder is still following the path, and is certainly much easier and faster than going left of the boulder, but when you actually walk around that area, it is clear that to the right of that boulder is a steep incline leading all the way up that small hill, thus not part of the intended track.

In fact, once you place something on that side of the boulder it really becomes clear just how steep it is and how off the course it is.  And while going left of the boulder is certainly challenging due to the larger boulder in front that you have to pass on the right, and the trees just beyond the second boulder that you have to pass on the right of.

Spoiler

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_134.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_133.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_135.jpg

To help visually guide racers to the correct approach of that turn, I went ahead and placed those three hedge items leading out to the boulder, and that seems to have helped a lot - even though technically someone can drive right through them, at least this way they can't claim they didn't see them, and with a race spotter watching from above they can confirm the authenticity of a proper lap.

TURN 5 - The Great Escape

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_40.jpg

This is aptly named, as anyone who can get through the previous corner unscathed will definitely feel a sense of relief.

TURN 6 - Colin's Corner

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_41.jpg

This is the first of three consecutive Hairpins - making it a fun but challenging collection of S-turns.  This one is also aptly named for the many riders who lost sight of the apex due to the high contrast of the snow, and went careening into the boulders, trees, and even the Cabin.  In fact, I placed Colin on the hill to warn on coming riders to keep right...

Spoiler

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_84.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_132.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_83.jpg

TURN 7 - Boa's Belly

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_42.jpg

Named for the belly of a snake that constricts, this is the middle of the three consecutive hairpin turns that make up the giants S-turns, and is the easiest of the three hairpins as the path is wide and offers several different ways of approaching it.  Just be careful where you come out of it...

TURN 8 - Rock Slide

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_43.jpg

This last hairpin would not be so challenging if it were not for the large boulders that fell from the cliff above that block a large part of the entrance to this turn.

Try and keep your speed up through this hairpin though because the second longest straightaway (with a slight dog-leg to the left) is next, and possibly the finish if you are doing a timed single lap.

Speaking of this corner, I've noticed some odd occurrences that happen in that area, and had heard some rumors about it being haunted by some native american indian ghost...

Spoiler

I've heard stories that many years ago a lost indian warrior had fallen to his death when the cliff gave way, and is burried under the massive boulder, and that he haunts the cliff above, for reasons no one seemed to know.

Then just a few days ago, while camping out and relaxing by the fire, a very grizzled old man riding on a horse that looked almost as old as he did, came down from the mountains and slowly approached me at my campfire.  

I offered him what food I had which he gladly took and ate in silence.  Then he sat down by the fire directly across from me, still without saying a word.  I don't know if it was the way the firelight reflected on his face, but his skin looked red and raw as if he hadn't drank anything in days.  I offered him some water but he grumbled something unintelligible and then pulled out a deerskin bota and proceeded to take a couple swigs from it before staring through the fire and directly into my eyes, and then he finally spoke.  And what he said I wont soon forget...

He told me an unbelievable tale whose roots go back thousands of years, and how about two hundred years ago, an undocumented tribe of native american indians had fled up into the mountains nearby to avoid capture - as they possessed what so many around the world desired - the legendary Golden Fleece!

The fleece was sacred to this tribe, and for countless generations prior to their escape into the mountains, they had been sworn to protect it from the outside world.  As would be forces got closer and closer, and the tribes numbers dwindled from  lost battles and famine, the chief made a difficult decision that would ultimately mean the end of his tribe.

In order to protect the fleece from falling into the wrong hands, they made several fake decoys of the Golden Fleece, and instructed each of the remaining warriors of the tribe to take one of the decoys with them, and disperse throughout the mountains to make it next to impossible for would be thieves to find the real fleece.

This strange old man went on to say that while most of the decoys have been found over the many years, no one has ever found the real fleece, nor the body of the warrior sworn to protect it.  And that like his grandfather and father before him, he had spent his whole life searching the mountains for the golden fleece.

With that he got up from his place by the fire and got back on his horse.  Before he could leave I asked him, why he told me this tale.  He looked back at me with a glance of sadness... and told me that  the missing warrior was in fact his great grandfather, and that he is now the only survivng member of the tribe and that when he dies, so will the knowledge of the possible whereabouts of the golden fleece.   He then pulled out a folded piece of old tarnished leather from his pouch and handed it to me, thanking me for my hospitality, and before I could even open it up, he rode off on his horse and soon seemed to vanish in a strange mist that appeared out of no where and when it lifted he was no where to be seen.

Distracted by the way he seemed to vanish, I had almost forgotten about the piece of leather he had handed me.  As I unfolded it it was clear that he had carved some kind of map into the surface of the leather... and with it, the legend would live on...

TURN 9 - Rover

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_148.jpg

This dog-leg left turn can sneak up on you if you aren't careful, so don't wait to the last moment to start turning left or you'll find yourself going up the hill. 

TURN 10 - Show-off

Spoiler
Juggernaut Home Screenshot_126.jpg

This is named for the fact that this is a good spot to show all the members at the lodge your driving skills.  While it might be tempting to cut this corner by driving up the hill, that is deintely off-course.  In fact, I placed some trees and deer along the right side of the course to 'guide' drivers to stay left and make the dog-leg left turn before making the final right turn.

Now in a one lap timed race, the skill you'll have to show is how fast and accurately you can aim for the bottom of the stairs, and quickly exit your bike and run up the stairs to stop the clock.

Which leads me to how I have set up the wonderful Racing Gates and the rules of a "registered" lap time.

First of all, I am using the Start/Finish Gate active items from Game Mechanics (each gate uses 3 slots and is located in the Ornament folder instead of Appliance):

9ae5806c87d8e39f31175803baae228e.png

These are terrific for racing, and work great in this space.  There are a few different ways you can use them to race with.

I prefer having them up on the deck around the stairs making it easy to race against multiple people at the same time, and adding the extra challenge of running to the snowmobiles, and exiting and running back up the stairs.

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_102.jpg

Also, by ending the race at the top of the stairs, it makes a natural gathering area after each race and a convenient way to view and update the leaderboard.

That's right, I also added a leaderboard by using the Personalized Large Sign also by Game Mechanics:

06ef7713711699336764b8645ab16e65.png

This sign allows you and your guests to view AND edit it, thus possible to make a list of best recorded times and or race results.

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_127.jpg

Now the great thing about these gates is that even if you are racing with several others, each gate keeps track of each person's time, so it isn't important that everyone start at the exact time - although its more fun to.

So for this layout, you would walk up to an available gate from the opposite side you plan on racing to, click on it, then click "Set-up" and then click X. If done correctly, your name will appear on the gate and the timer will reset to 00:00:00 if it wasn't already.  Now you are ready to go.  When you and anyone you might be racing against are ready, run through the gate to start the timer.  Run down to the default snowmobiles, pick one and start racing! 

If it's a one lap race, just exit your snowmobile near the stairs and run up and through your gate to end the time.  If it's for multiple laps, keep going until the last lap then exit and run up the stairs.

@StephieRawkswas kind enough to make a video of one of her runs and posted it here:

Now it is certainly possible to place gates out on the course by the starting spot:

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_95.jpg

Juggernaut Home Screenshot_94.jpg

The nice thing about having the gates located there is that you can start and stop the timer without having to get on or off the snowmobile - so it will record an exact lap time of just the course.  It also would allow for a lot more gates for a larger race.  The downside is that if you are going to have a multi lap race, each driver will have to be VERY careful not to drive under their gate until after their last lap or it will stop their timer.  That said, this is certainly a nice option to have, and I enjoy both set-ups.

Once again I have to leave, but for my next update I'll explain how to monitor a race from above, and invite guests to also watch races from above.  This is also good for making sure no one is cutting corners and making shortcuts. Smiley Happy

(will continue to update this post and thread with the details and pics of this racing club I started in Home and how it works, and how others can do something similar with their friends)

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 1 of 37 (1,237 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Re: Polar Rush Racing Club

Apr 2, 2014
A furniture spawn point in the tiny cabin also would've been nice
Message 2 of 37 (1,230 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

Apr 2, 2014

Really glad to see you posting more the last couple of days, D. This is a very nice review, as well, but to me it seems to distract from the fun of your racing events. I can't wait to see some of the pics and read some of the stories!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 37 (1,210 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5755 posts

Apr 3, 2014
There's been a lot of fun and friendly competition going on at D's racing club over the last couple weeks. Can't wait to see the pics!

Message 4 of 37 (1,181 Views)
Uncharted Territory
898 posts

Apr 3, 2014
Stephie, you and I were racing to opposite ends of that leaderboard, LOL! Smiley Tongue

D, I need to come over and take that "sobbing in the icewater" pic-I found my LMO!
Message 5 of 37 (1,163 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
80 posts

Apr 3, 2014

D-Nitrate wrote:

Yes, there are some obvious flaws and things missing that would have made this space even better, like;

1) A time of day change (how cool would it be to race by moonlight, and to hang out with friends at the campfire at night, or see the moon's reflection on the lake from the comfort of the lodge?  LKWD already have similar time of day options in other spaces, and even recently added one to their Dream Island.

2) Option to toggle on/off the snowfall.  Yes, its 'pretty' and offers a very nice effect, but sometimes the snowfall also gets in the way, and ruins pics taken in the space.  Again, this option is nothing new, and has been included in other personal spaces, including LKWDs.

5) I wish the lodge was a bit bigger - the rooms are fairly tight fitting with relatively low ceilings which not only limit decorating them, but also play havoc with the R1 camera angles due to the proximity of the walls and ceilings that cause the camera POV to change rapidly.

(will update this post and thread with the details and pics of this racing club I started in Home and how it works, and how others can do something similar with their friends)

THESE!  Exactly my thoughts as well.

D-Nitrate wrote:

7) A more convenient way of decorating outside the lodge.  There isn't even a spawn point in the cabin or campfire, despite the fact that you do not have to be a glitcher or hacker to get items outside and to place them where ever you like, and that they do not interfere with the snowmobile activity... so it begs the question why didn't they just make decorating outside easier?

will update this post and thread with the details and pics of this racing club I started in Home and how it works, and how others can do something similar with their friends)

How can this be done currently?

Message 6 of 37 (1,151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4495 posts

RE: Polar Rush - Tundra Lodge Review / Guide / Suggestions

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2014

OK - Did a major update to OP.  First with some additions/changes (in red) to my 'review' of the space:

1) Beautiful detail in the graphics, like the way the water looks in the pools near the lodge and the vast lake (they even added nice detail to the bottom of the pools and lake, the detail of the wood, stones, boulders, fence, cabin, campfire, etc. They even added snowmobile tracks in the snow following the twisting route around the space, and dirty trails in the snow to show frequently used paths in the snow.

2) Creative architecture and landscaping of the lodge, like; the tunnel through the rock; the design of the walkways over the pools, the roof of the cabin which can be climbed as well as used as a ramp to jump off with the snowmobiles.

Curiously though, if you look closely, there are over 100 light fixtures built right into the lodge and out on the decking and walkways - all of which are turned on, despite the space not only being set during the day, and quite bright do to the high contrast of the snow - so many if not most of those lights can not be seen easily. This may be an indication that they originally planned to have a day/night option and perhaps either couldn't make it work the way they wanted to and scrapped it, or hopefully its a sign they plan on adding the day/night option at a later time, as they just recently did with their Dream Island space?

3) It has no NPC wildlife, which is unfortunate as it has such a large wilderness area, it feels weird not to see or hear any 'life'.  I placed a couple animal ornament items outside which kind of helps - even better though is when friends come over and use some of the animal avatars from VeeMee, like the Grizzly Bear, Polar Bear, Wolves, Elk, etc.

The rest is all new, including pics of the route and info on the corners - more to come soon.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 7 of 37 (1,113 Views)
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Re: RE: Polar Rush - Tundra Lodge Review / Guide / Suggestions

Apr 5, 2014

Great review of the Polar Rush space D. I totally agree with everything you said there. I also love the guide and diagram you made for this space as well. Man Happy

bobs fed signature
Message 8 of 37 (1,083 Views)
Fender Bender
3252 posts

Re: Polar Rush - Tundra Lodge Review / Guide / Suggestions

Apr 5, 2014

A Day/Night cycle may also help in locating the rewards as i have only been able to find 3 since purchasing this space when it released. I find the Reward icons hard to see when all i see is white.

All though the main house is small it would be nice to be able to close the doors on it as well, idk who would leave doors wide open like that during the winter. I know the house was most likely designed to be a Ski lodge.

Markers on the track would be a good idea to be able to see it. Overall its still a good track.

That green marker when you leave your snowmobile can get rather annoying, i know its designed to locate your snomobile but idk how many would leave thier snowmobile on one end of the map while your avatar is at the other end.

This is still by far one of the best Personal spaces made by any developer on Home, it just needs some Community input to make it that much better.

photo 557c3c40-b625-4286-ad5f-95b19a50b165.jpg
Message 9 of 37 (1,075 Views)
Wastelander
532 posts

Re: Polar Rush - Tundra Lodge Review / Guide / Suggestions

Apr 5, 2014

Hi does any1 kno how many rewards we r supposed to get when we buy the lodge?

#SpunForever #HappySpunling4Ever
Message 10 of 37 (1,027 Views)
0 Likes