Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Re: Playstation Home "dating"

Feb 15, 2012

Avatars are like a box of chocolates . . .   

Message 31 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1115 posts

Feb 15, 2012

"Tolerable" is definitely in the eye of the beholder...
There is NOTHING in the Sony Terms Of Service forbidding Dating on Home.

Hence, this is essentially a non-issue.

Some people like it, some people don't.
Some people think it offensive, some people see nothing wrong with it.

Some people in Real Life date virtually on Home.

This is not a problem, except to those who don't care for it. Those people always have the option to simply not do so.

They have no right to stop anyone else from doing so...

No "improvement" need be made.

Cronizone wrote:

As our community writes post about this topic, we cant just sit here and dwell. Please read my post to find out some information and find some ways of improving this topic. This comment is not a rant, as its just a comment to be more aware of the people (Including Adults) should be aware this is NOT tolerable.

Regards,

- Cronizone

My POV: Enjoy YOUR Home experience, without forcing it on those around you.
RESPECT is FREE. You will get what you give.
Message 32 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
281 posts

Feb 15, 2012

Why is this intolerable to you?Does it madden you to see other ppl having fun?Whether you participate or not is a personal choice but to deny others simply because you yourself wouldn't do it seems odd to me.

Vae Victis
Message 33 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Feb 15, 2012

HearItWow wrote:

The biggest drawback of Home dating is the illusion of intimacy, and this is where the couples are going to get defensive, but here's a reality check: until you spend actual, physical time with someone every single day, you don't know if the relationship will work. Online dating creates a false sense of closeness because the participants can walk away from the mic/camera/keyboard anytime they want to conceal something, and no amount of honesty on the part of both participants can change that. Home relationships exist in an ideal world where there's no trash to take out, no toilet to clean, no bills to pay or bad hair days. Removed from all of that everyday reality, you cannot hope to know how an online relationship will translate into real life.

The biggest mistake people make is thinking that because it works online, it will work in real life, so they move in together. The sensible thing to do is to see each other a few times, then have one party move into a neutral location near the other and behave like any other dating couple. You might find that you really are perfect for each other. If iturns out that you're not, you're not left trying to find a way out of a shared apartment or home.

Follow me on Twitter:Watch past episodes:
twitter.com/hearitwowYouTube.com/hearitwow

If there's ever a time of year when people need to try to be sensitive about this issue, this would be it. But it's also the perfect time to address what seems to be an ever increasing phenomena. I've made my point of view known on this many times. I know many couples in Home. Some are "platonic" friendships where the two people are inseparable, while others are romantic relationships that have spilled over into real life. It's not something I think I'll ever really understand, but perhaps that's a reflection of my age or my generation.

One thing I'd like to add to is this "illusion of intimacy" you mentioned. Something I've also repeatedly made known many times, is the fact that I watched my two best friends destroy themselves, their clubs, and our entire circle of acquaintances during my first few months in Home. When you don't know someone in real life, there's a great opportunity for deception unless both parties are committed to being rigorously honest with each other. I see this many times, where one person or the other or both will pretend they are "just friends" when it's clear that there are some feelings involved. I also see romances being hidden from others, which I think is bad in principle, and absolutely unconscienable when you're dealing with a Home organization or club, because again, I've seen first hand how clubs can get torn apart when a virtual romance goes bad.

Everything here I've said before, and doubtless will say again many more times. Honesty really is crucial in these things. Sadly, I've lost more than one friend because some girl/woman couldn't understand that "No" means "No" as in, "No, I'm not interested in a virtual romance," and "No, I'm not going to change my mind."

One other thing I want to echo, is that people who do contemplate going from a virtual to a real-world relationship should not move in together. I also think that's a bad idea in principle, as living with someone creates unnecessary ties/obligations/complications to another person, while simultaneously lending the relationship a false sense of permanence or commitment. I'm not going to pretend that I understand how young people date these days, but living together is something you should not even think about unless you've known someone (in the real world) for a substantial amount of time and are seriously committed to each other (in which case you should probably be considering marriage and not living together anyway).

Message 34 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Feb 15, 2012

CTHULU93 wrote:

Why is this intolerable to you?Does it madden you to see other ppl having fun?Whether you participate or not is a personal choice but to deny others simply because you yourself wouldn't do it seems odd to me.

I'm not sure why exactly he's dumping on people showing affection to each other the day after Valentine's Day, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with being alone on that day.

I mean, I was alone on that day, and even though seeing all thouse people together...you know...happy and laughing.  Holding hands and...being obnoxious.  Look at them, just rubbing it in my face!  Might as well be saying, "Hey, Kat, you'll never know love like this!"

Burn them all, I say!  Burn all these sickos!

Message 35 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Feb 15, 2012

crazy_kracker1 wrote:

what i have noticed what i don't like is people using the activity board for a dating site it is Home people

Yeah, I've seen a few really creepy sounding posts there.

Message 36 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Feb 15, 2012

Just to take what Aet said a step further, I want to be clear that I'm not singling out Home relationships here. Even dating someone IRL can go south when you take that plunge of moving in together. I've had it happen to me, and I assure you that I'm one of the most charming and easy-to-get-along-with people on the planet.

Just don't expect me to lift a finger to clean anything. (These statements may or may not be true, but I can think of an ex with an opinion on them).

It's best to proceed in stages. Think you're in love in Home? Date IRL. Think that you're still in love? Then think about getting married/moving in together.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 37 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
837 posts

Feb 15, 2012

what i have noticed what i don't like is people using the activity board for a dating site it is Home people. another thing does the home team monitor the activity board there are some on there that really don't need to be and remember home is rated t for teen lol

Message 38 of 106 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Feb 15, 2012

not sure if i have a problem with dating on Home per se, but i am concerned in general how our society has become more or less anti-social, rude, racist, sexist, etc. because we seem to rely on social sites to interact with people. saying things we don't have the balls to say to a person's face, arguing over the internet...i know people that have gotten into real life fights because of what was said on Facebook and Twitter.

The Activity board on Home, All Events is a trip some of the stuff i have read on there.

i love technology and used properly, (whatever that is)  it's fantastic...but it also seems technology has made people less interactive with each other in real life to some degree, as in getting off the console/computer/cell phones and actually go out and meet real life people. some people's comfort zone on being on the internet.

people who think their life is more important than anothers, so they text and drive instead of waiting to get somewhere safe to text. i know people that will not answer their phone unless you text them. i rather have an actual conversation. gosh i hate texting.

i had a cousin texting her friend and they were standing next to each other! but sometimes people are too busy to go on dates and dating websites have helped a lot of people meet people and some have gotten married from those.

i'm a bit on the fence, but in terms of being careful online, same thing goes for meeting people in the real world. but i really cannot be concerned what a person does in their lives when i need to be more concerned about my own life. if dating on Home works for them and they're enjoying themselves, why should i have an issue with it.

could be also that i grew up when we actually talked to people on the phone, used an ink pen/pencil to write letters to friends and family, if we had beef with someone, we got in each others face and handled it like men....not acting hard on forums and such.

so to each their own.

"human contact is awesome, try it sometimes"
Message 39 of 106 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Feb 15, 2012

I think the bottom line is people who are comfortable with home or online dating will. Those that are not comfortable won't. One aspect i didn't see discussed here though is the handicapped. I'm sure there are handicapped folks on home who may be homebound or even hospitalized. I would think in those cases it would be beneficial. Just my opinion.

*********************^v^> Beware of the Chupacabra>^v^********************
Message 40 of 106 (310 Views)
0 Likes