Sackboy
521 posts

Re: Playstation Home "dating"

Feb 14, 2012

I don't really think that they believe it's serious. They're avatars, and there is no way that anyone could make sure that they have someone special in RL. Of course, unless they decide to meet up, which would be a very bad idea. I'm not saying everyone is going to be some 80-year-old man who wants some 20 year old, but people have different attitudes in RL than in PSH.

Message 11 of 106 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Dating in Home is not my thing, but I can understand it.  I've a few things going on in my life, and I don't really go out much to just socialize, so I do use Home as a social outlet.  I've met some wonderful people, and while our relationships are "virtual", I still care about them and their well being.

I understand how this could look strange to some, but I've found that almost every person that considers it strange also has access to a large social network.  Be it school, old friends, or a social hobby, they have something in their life that gives them what Home gives to me.  They just can't seem to understand my view, because they think what I'm doing is replacing "real" people with "virtual" ones.  This interpretation couldn't be farther from the truth though.  You see, if all I wanted was images to interact with, I would just play video games.  I go to Home because I want that connection with real people.  Some people already have all the social interaction they could ever need, and it's those people that don't really need Home, and it's that reason why they can't seem to understand Home.

I've had people say things to me like, "you just need to go out and get a life".  I have a life, and I like my life very much, thank you.  It's just that the things I like aren't all that social.  I like to read, write, bake, watch movies, and play video games.  Where's a person like me to meet other people that are into the same things?

Home, that's where.  And I've met plenty of them, and we socialize just like other people.  Maybe more so.

So, yeah, I can see why someone would date in Home, and while I don't want that in my personal Home experience, I can understand it.

Message 12 of 106 (465 Views)
Survivor
1630 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Dont think it need more words

photo l_1ac92e40c72f428cb2c1ab1d6c3930c5-1-1.jpg
Message 13 of 106 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
330 posts

Feb 14, 2012

I think it is completely acceptable to date someone in a virtual world like Home. I have been a part of many like it over the years like Secondlife and There.com. I have seen people meet, Make friends, Fall in love, And get married all over the internet.

I for one believe that there is someone out there for everyone. However what if that someone is on the other side of the country and there may be no hope to ever meet them in the real world? Well that is where Home comes into play(and other virtual worlds). What if that one person you are ment to be with is logged on right now? Then you log on and go to the hub and dance with this said person. You strike up a conversation and there is a lot you like about this persons personality and you add them as a friend. Months go by and you talk to that person every single day. To me it is extremly hard to not feel a connected to someone you talk to all the time like that evan as a friend. Then the day comes when they tell you how they feel about you. Wouldn't it feel great to know that there is someone out there that loves you for more than looks or money and love you for your personality or the way you make them laugh? To me that is a very beautiful thing. Maybe I am naive or something But I would consider me to be more of a hopeless romantic lol.

Sorry if this is not exactly on the subect at hand I just felt it had to be said is all. I gues it being Valentines day doesn't help none either lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a powerful driving force within every human being that once unleashed can make any vision, dream or desire a reality.
Message 14 of 106 (465 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4535 posts

Feb 14, 2012

I myself do date on Home, me & my gf have been together nearly a yr & unfortunately we have not met in RL yet but pretty much not a day goes by where we don't talk about it. We talk on mics in Home, we've dun video chat, have each other added on Facebook & have each others numbers so we kno each other very well & we'll only kno each other better when we're together in RL

PlayStation HCV/MVP 2011-2016
facebook.com/gamer316
Message 15 of 106 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1403 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Happy Valentine Day!

Message 16 of 106 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2123 posts

Feb 14, 2012

thats normal  n some cultures like US 4 xample. dnt  blame them when they do that. personally i dnt trust most of the internet users but some do.

AM GOOD BUT NOT THE BEST
http://about.me/Rage_kmj

PSN Gamercards
Message 17 of 106 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Feb 14, 2012

I see little difference between people who spend their time socializing/dating on Home and people who spend their time dating/socializing on Facebook, Twitter, AOL or any other platform. The tools exist to connect people. A Home friendship is just as real as a friendship with a college roommate you haven't seen in 20 years but who you follow on Facebook.

The biggest benefit of Home dating is the zero chance of getting someone pregnant. Home dating should be recommended for teenagers.

The biggest drawback of Home dating is the illusion of intimacy, and this is where the couples are going to get defensive, but here's a reality check: until you spend actual, physical time with someone every single day, you don't know if the relationship will work. Online dating creates a false sense of closeness because the participants can walk away from the mic/camera/keyboard anytime they want to conceal something, and no amount of honesty on the part of both participants can change that. Home relationships exist in an ideal world where there's no trash to take out, no toilet to clean, no bills to pay or bad hair days. Removed from all of that everyday reality, you cannot hope to know how an online relationship will translate into real life.

The biggest mistake people make is thinking that because it works online, it will work in real life, so they move in together. The sensible thing to do is to see each other a few times, then have one party move into a neutral location near the other and behave like any other dating couple. You might find that you really are perfect for each other. If iturns out that you're not, you're not left trying to find a way out of a shared apartment or home.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 18 of 106 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Feb 15, 2012

I just think this is weird. Even though it is technically a social networking "thing" Home is becoming or at least some people are trying to make it a 2nd Life (I think that's it) True people do date on the Internet but at the end they meet up. I've never heard of anyone getting married ON facebook or myspace (as in they are married on the site) however I've heard tons of success stories of getting married THROUGH these social sites.

Just today I was messing around taking photos of my new costume at the valentines day shrine thing on the pier and had this group of people tell me to move because they wanted to take a photo with and I quote "she's my daughter, he's my husband".

Needless to say I nope'd the heck out of there.

To each his own I guess, but I'm still entitled to my own opinion lol

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4651628?start=0&tstart=0

Photobucket
Message 19 of 106 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Feb 15, 2012

Not exactly, I've been on HOME from the start, and it wasn't as bad as it is now, sure there were always people "hitting" on each other, but dating and families? On top of that, this isn't exactly the Internet nor 2nd life how I pointed before.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4651628?start=0&tstart=0

Photobucket
Message 20 of 106 (464 Views)
0 Likes