Jun 02 2012
By: Bambi-01us MVP Support 3821 posts

Playstation Home Tips (Kill with Kindess)

[ Edited ]
110 replies 1149 views Edited Nov 6, 2012

I notice a lot of members of the community look for respect in other PS home users but we find those that act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises; "offend all laws of humanity"; "violate the basic laws or human civilization"; "break a law"; "break a promise" have little or no respect for, hold in contempt.  This may sound way to serious for a virtual world but it's still part of life and that makes it serious.

This is something I’ve been looking into for a long time.  This thread may lead to an argument or possibly lead to an episode of ‘Days of our Forum.’  This is a basic way to help those that are looking for respect and seeking ways to get away from such abuse that has no proper composure.

What do I do now that I’ve been on here for so long?  I like to socialize with other members of the community.  I’m friendly, a gamer, trophy lover.  I love everything there is about PS home except for one thing that hasn’t been able to hinder, and that is disrespect for other members of the community that want to have fun and socialize.  I know I’m not going to let a random ‘I don’t care person’ hinder me from doing what I want. 

I’ve had **bleep** rate for having them show that they do have potential and respect.  Most just want fun and do disrespectful actions to get that fun.

(Did I change him?)(  And this is the same person that was disrespecting other members of the community.  Then we started talking about games.  But I wasn’t to fond of talking to him because of his prior abuse toward other members of the community.  But I did it.  It was great and when it seems to not work, I just plain out ignore there actions and blank them right out.  I know it’s very hard for some and leads to a serious problem.  The abuser see’s a mad person and thinks it’s funny and sticks to his game of disrespect. 

~For new members of the community and possibly those older members that may not know tricks to get rid of these ‘mean’ people.  I’ve got a few to share with you.~

Here is my strategy for these kinds of people.

*Before attempting these ways, you should report if it's seriously needed.  It only makes the community better by doing so in my book.  But I would recommend you didn’t say that you was going to report or threaten that you will report.  That only makes things worse and the steps I have listed below will not work except for maybe #2.  So I wouldn’t tell them you’re going to report.*

1)  “Hey, will you add me?" Then invite them to your personal space and delete them.  They only deserve it.  If you’re in a high traffic area.  Like the Hub, bowling alley, it would be unlikely for you to run into them again.   Low traffic areas are like the resistance 2 space, playground, and you just might run into them again.  Any questions about high and low traffic areas, feel free to message me.  You can add anything you like to this action to modify the way it would best fit you. 

2)  Put a game in or have one stored on your hdd of your ps3.  If you get someone that won’t leave you alone, simply put that game launch on and have it displayed.  Then just walk to an exit of the space and they usually fall for it and it redirects them to another place and you’re giving the chance to have an option to not go because you have that game launch on.  They all go ’Poof!”

There is nothing illegal about that sort of action.  I was told this was 'very clever.'  (Don’t spam them with invites, that only gets you in trouble.)  And all they need to do is ignore you and that is it. 

3)  And that is where 3 here is.  The good old ignore and mute button.  That is quite effective but um?  “That annoying avatar is still there!”  But, the avatar is facing away from us and he/she's pushed out of our bubble as if we droped him/her like we would a bad habit.

I know I trust in the system and believe they work their tail off in there to take care of disrespect. 

4)     This don't work that great but it's logical.  We can just dress our avatar ugly.

7)  It's also useful to just talk to them and ignore what they're saying to you.  For example:  'Troll:  (His/Her words here)  Me:  What games do you play?'  Etc, Etc..  They end up getting bored because they can't penetrate your head.  Simply don't lose control of the fire.  Let their fire build up till they get burnt.  I just stop, drop, and roll on situations like that.

Making a new account and understanding Copy-cats:

When I see this, I get disapointed in the level a perp will go to hinder someones proud time on home.  They make an account that resembles our playstation network Identification and do disrespectful things with it making other members of the community think we may be bad.  For those that don't understand how, here is a short discription of how they do it and how you can stop it.

When making a PSN ID for the first time.  Try to limit on the letters L and I.  Like a name called, 'AvailFidelity.' <--- (NOTE:  That is my ID name)   They could make 3 more of those.  There is 2 L's in that name and those L's can be identical to the Capital '  i  '.  Sony is working on this issue because it's rather disrespectful and against sony rules and regulations.

Even the letter O can be a Zero.  And it don't even have to be the same looking ID as ours.  They can make an account with my name for say that is just 'Bambi' or Bambi-02us and try to hinder my fun on the social network of home.  And sadly there isn't anything we can do about that area except for report them if they do anything that can cause damage to our name or fun.  Impersonating is where I'm going with this.

Impersonating Another User 
Offender created an account with close similarity to an existing user,   with perceived intentions to impersonate the other user without their consent.

If you happen to want an account with L's or i's or any other letters that can be alike, I would suggest thinking ahead when making your account so you can atleast have the upper hand and have a 50% chance of a great PSN ID.

Here is link to all other definitions which may apply or not apply to playstation home.

http://us.playstation.com/WhyBanned

Note:

If you feel or have anything against what is said here or can't keep respect with in this thread, I ask that you don't bother typing your elaboration.  This is basic help for those that have no idea about these house tools.  This isn't a topic of bashing each other. 

*Respect is everything, Disrespect is nothing*

Bambi-01us
Message 107 of 111 (1,149 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: Respect In Playstation Home:

Mar 17, 2011

Given you are a woman and that you have 21 Platinum medals as well – goodness you are certainly deserving of respect! Wow!

And more on topic... my solution and it works wonders is simply to ignore those who bother me.

Message 1 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Mar 17, 2011

Wow... Bambi For the WIN! Your words couldn't be any truer. Really.

As a male who is rather sympathetic, when I see such disrespect toward females, it really saddens me. I don't get angry, I don't get upset and throw things and such... I just get disappointed in what's going on. So these guidelines of yours are already like second nature to me. The term "Kill them with Kindness" is a very good phrase. And it's TRUE!

I give 5 Stars to you!

Go Bambi!

-Erik

Message 2 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
3821 posts

Mar 17, 2011

It's not only being directed to us lady avatars.  It's toward everyone.  It does in fact seem that female avatars get no respect what so ever.  Ignoring is a good solution for the situation but some new members don't understand that.  That is why I've posted this and hope that it gets read by new home community members.  The other reason I mention this is that about 35% of them don't even know how to report.  And yes, it's sad to see 'mean avatars' try to hinder someones fun. 

Bambi-01us
Message 3 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Mar 17, 2011

I'm rather huge on respect. That is what I look for. I show respect to everybody. But if someone comes up to me and shows an extreme lack of respect to me, I tend to ignore them and avoid them. Especially the ones who have an extremely lack of respect to the ladies. That dog just don't walk. Not with me. I can't tell you how many times I've reported someone for Sexual Harassment and Stalking.

Message 4 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
350 posts

Mar 17, 2011

Ignore Feature:

Click on any user you choose and select Ignore to...

make both you & this user invisible to each other.

Gives users the power to enjoy spaces without having to mute, report, & leave.

Drastically cuts down on the quantity of reports filed.

The in world ignore feature could work similar to the XMB block feature...

in the sense that you have an ignore list that holds x number of users.

I understand this could pose a problem with mini games...

but the benefits far out weigh the issues.

I suppose the user who chose to ignore should bare the sacrifice here...

not being able to join a mini game occupied by an ignored user...

as well as being booted from any mini game that an ignored user joins.

XMB Messenger Protection:

Firmware Update:

Option to receive messages from friends only.

This feature should also block random friend requests...

We can easily turn the message block off temporarily...

to receive a friend request from someone we have enjoyed meeting.

Unlike the way the block feature works now...

the system should notify users that messages are not being received...

because their is a sense of satisfaction immature users get from not knowing.

XMB message abuse becomes non existent.

Side note:

The ability to use real pictures as an avatar in the XMB friends list.

Important:

Any programming difficulty encountered with these features...

regarding Avatar & XMB Messenger Protection...

should be met head on with dedicated resolve...

These two concepts...

will grant users the right to enjoy PlayStation HOME free from harassment...

Personally, upon these concepts becoming popular quite some time ago...

I think they should have been made top priority.

Essentially what I'm driving at here is...

by making the private message feature available only for friends...

combined with xmb messages & add requests only being accepted when...

one does not have the Friends Only restriction turned on...

Users will be able to enjoy PlayStation HOME in any capacity of privacy they choose...

If one wishes it...

they should have the ability to only be accessible to strangers in public spaces...

with the just & right ability to completely cut off any user with the avatar ignore concept.

We can easily turn off the Friends Only restriction...

to accept an add request from someone we have enjoyed meeting.

By not empowering us with these concepts...

the only users you are protecting happen to be...

a considerable majority of people who do not purchase items in PlayStation HOME anyway.

These users should have to deal with the power of these features...

Finding every user they try to harass just disappear...

every user they try to xmb message or randomly add result in...

This user is currently only accepting messages from friends, your message was not delivered.

Do away with the silly nonsense of users not knowing they are blocked...

They need no feelings sparred...

nor deserve self gratification from thinking they successfully harassed someone via the xmb messenger.

I understand their might be some concern or hesitation along the lines of thinking...

that many innocent users will have their feelings hurt, become bored, & quit using the service.

While this may be true.. it's a price that has to be paid...

The benefits of giving users the power of privacy far out weighs it's cons...

Some innocent folks who may lack social skills will have to be disappointed.

Photobucket
and I like to do drawerings! ♫
Message 5 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Mar 17, 2011

It's quite a shame that these issues still exist on Home.

When my better half tried it for the first time, she had so much fun building her avatar, getting everything perfect.

I'm sure that she would have really liked Home, but the first person to come to talk to her hit her with the "you're hot" message.  Then, he sent a message directly to her inbox.

Slightly freaked, she blocked him, and never went into Home again.

For me, it's a shame, because it just gave her a bad first impression of the place.

PityTheFool852

☆ Click to learn about the Japan Relief Fund on PS Store details ☆

Even if you can't donate to the fund yourself, please tell everyone you know on PSN about it, and mention it in your forum signatures Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
401 posts

Mar 17, 2011

Wonderful post Bambi.

I think everyone agrees that the immature and rude Home user is truly a shame.  The foolish "Ur Hot" & "Got Pics?" guys running around are simply Home's lowest common denominator.  However, its been my experience that there are many more kind and respectful users out there, they simply are harder to find because the are not the ones who run up to your face and start ska'ing in your grill.  That said, Bambi has some nice tips for the unfortunate encounter with the occasional rotten apple.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
3821 posts

Mar 17, 2011

Very nice of you to put that in here, ashley. 

Bambi-01us
Message 8 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Mar 17, 2011

Well done post Bambi, kudos for showing the commuinty there are different ways to solve the never ending issue of harrassment.

@Jim777PS
Message 9 of 111 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes