Hekseville Citizen
396 posts

Re: PlayStation Home State of the Union - Post E3 edition

Jun 30, 2010

Thank you for the insight Jack. The E3 booth was sick to death. I can't wait for the Carnival either. Hopefully theirs no clowns wandering about or my girl won't attend. She has clownphobia LOL.

We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.

Message 21 of 64 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1207 posts

Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for posting Jack. You've got me curious about the "top secret projects". You know, as a PSN Plus subscriber I am available to beta test..

*wink, wink*
Message 22 of 64 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
6 posts

Jun 30, 2010
Hi HearltWow,

Thanks for the thoughtful post!

PlayStation Home is a free service that offers a variety of different options for both developers and the community. We're committed to providing a great mix of diverse content and experiences. The core of the Home experience, including tons of games, events, items, videos, music, etc., will remain free. As a platform, we are committed to allowing our development community to innovate and provide cutting edge experiences and business models.

Yes, you will continue to see lots of free content released (see blog post coming shortly for evidence of this). You will also see some developers offer premium experiences, such as personal spaces and games for sale. Lastly, you will even see some developers offer a hybrid of both (called "freemium"). Sodium is a great example of this. Midway is pay-to-play, but also offers options such as timed free play, and is loaded with over 100 fantastic rewards. We think you’ll find it worth the price of admission

Best,

Jack
Message 23 of 64 (22 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
1040 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Jersquall, you know me too well...Smiley Wink

Jack's on forum duty right now; I'm on the blog: http://bit.ly/9Gaq5b. But I'll be here today as well. Promise.

Message 24 of 64 (22 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6519 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Thanks jack and well done with all the work so far and OMG GW really has pink hair Smiley Tongue hehe

If i could give your team some drive to go for the future it would be the following

Apartments:

Particulary harbour studio to start with i feel that now games are coming for our pads i think another vital thing has been forgotten. Wallpapers i think its such an awesome extra in the apartment yet since 1.0 there has been zero upgrades on this wether its been talked about with your team who knows but i would love to see some more themed/non-themed wallpapers for our pads and finally bring the feel of custimization home to its fullest potential with whats available

Now all apartments in general.

Interactivity i feel myself is a big part of what your team tries to pursue with the items yet they are mainly just static minus the epic evolving items but i think if some items could start to be more than static but not a minigame i.e a set of bongo drums becomes available and with your analogue sticks (R3 + L3) you could make your own songs up

so it wouldnt be a minigame but would give the apartment items something and money well spent hey its only an idea Smiley Tongue

Rewards:

Let's face it we all love them and with whats coming tomorrow we will love them even more but and this is a mighty big BUT Smiley Tongue we know t shirts are the least time consuming thing to make for home but could the rewards start to come away from always being shirts as we like different with home as well home is different best way to put it so mix things up and beleive me we will be epicly pleased

Competitions:

Now this is a huge concept but one i think the community would love and would be a great way to make a dev diary

Concept is simple run a competition for users to design either a future reward or future FREE item  (make it cost and theres legal probs no doubt) so make it free and well the winner of the comp gets their design transformed into a fully funkshooonallll home item and it is a great project to have a development diary of as its community creation at it's core

Come on you know it's full of WIN and salad sauce oddly enoughSmiley Tongue

Homes Future:

Well this is the unanswerable to extent questions as it is a diverse answer but heres my 2 cents

This Year

I think home is pushing through its next stages of development and user interactivity and creativity based on events in home and on these forums and by the end of the year we can expect more spaces bigger and better spaces and hopefully better rewards Smiley Tongue

Next few years

Well i would hope one of the things being looked into is to unregionalize home look at how successfull the global space was it proves the fact i would love home to get more air time during presentations both conventions and interviews but maybe opening up to the likes of AZ4 and other various sites is an option to  look at too as their HOME users creating sites solely dedicated to the platform

would also like to see more companies joining home development both big and small as the say "aint no mountain high enough" its a hard task this one but given time can and will work

Playstation plus is something i would like to see home get involved more with if there are alreadys plans to then thats fine but i think its an awesome project and home should get involved more i.e discounts for home goods etc

the payment of tokens you know what im referring to here yes i agree with the idea but what annoys many is the rewards if it is a t shirt is what annoys most folk as they feel robbed you know

Last but not least Video capture we already have screen cap and the PS3 supports this and with the latest FW theres now some great tools to expand the created content with it is a concept that i think hardly has any cons and the pro's for it are so benneficial to home and its respective community members so hopefully this follows on

well this may be long but its strong thought so hopefully the team dont hate us to much and as always any feedback/opinions are welcomed

P.S Home management team poster for home = WIN

JackBuser wrote:

Hi again Home Community,

As we come out of E3 on a wave of extremely exciting announcements for both Home and PlayStation in general, I thought it might be a good time to jump in the forums and reflect on all that we’ve recently accomplished, as well as give a glimpse into where we are going in the future.
If there’s one message I’d like to send today, it’s that your feedback directly guides the future of PlayStation Home.  It is this philosophy which has brought us to where we are today, and will continue to guide our platform in the future.  We hear you loud and clear, and we will never stop listening, whether it is here in the forums, in Home, on your own websites, podcasts, or even in the real world.  You set the direction of this platform.

The momentum coming out of E3 has been truly invigorating for PlayStation Home.  Last year, we showed a glimpse of E3 in Home, and were met with a very enthusiastic response from you.  You wanted more from Home at E3, and we delivered – literally building a replica of the booth in Home, loaded with rewards and exclusive content.  For the first time, anyone with a PlayStation 3 could experience the excitement of E3 first hand, and as a result, five times more people attended E3 in Home than the E3 conference itself.  This is the kind of experience that is only possible with a PlayStation 3, and truly speaks to the power of the PlayStation Home.

At the show itself, we answered the call of many more of your requests.  Cabin Boy, the first game for your personal space, marked the beginning of a new class of item specifically requested by you - arcade games you can play in your personal space.  The Playground was launched, an urban-themed space with both H-O-R-S-E basketball and chess, responding directly to several reoccurring requests for this kind of environment.  We also announced that this space will feature radios for your personal space, delivering music to your apartments for the very first time.  We featured an exclusive “behind the scenes” look at the people who developed the Playground space, and took a closer look at how PlayStation Home spaces are created – again, a direct result of what you have asked us for.  The list of requests that we have delivered on continues to grow, and reinforces our commitment to you, the PlayStation Home community.

As PlayStation Home continues to grow and change, so does our team.  Some of you have already noticed that CydoniaX is no longer serving as Community Manager.  Her contributions to growing the platform and supporting the Home community are greatly appreciated.  As we look towards the future of Home, familiar faces like Locust_Star and Glasswalls will be increasing their focus on expanding and optimizing Community Management’s engagement with you.  Examples of this include real world appearances such as E3, new initiatives like the Community Theater, previews of upcoming content, experiences like those provided by the Midway and Steampunk spaces, and much more - all of which gives everyone more opportunities to connect with each other in increasingly deep and meaningful ways.

Our vision for Home as a universe of games, connecting gamers together, has never been closer to reality than it is today.  While your favorite games such as Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock 2 launch new and innovative ways of integrating their game experiences into Home, a rapidly growing number of award winning game developers have begun to develop games specifically for PlayStation Home.  Internally, we’ve focused our teams on several top-secret large scale projects, based directly on your wants and needs, so stay tuned for more exciting announcements to come.

Our mission is to gather your feedback and act on it.  We are an agile team, Home is a dynamic platform, and we are focused on the community driving development.  I speak for the whole Home team here when I say it’s truly an honor to work with you all on this revolutionary and ever-evolving platform. 

Here's to the future!

Jack

Message 25 of 64 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Locust_Star wrote:

Jack's on forum duty right now; I'm on the blog: http://**bleep**/9Gaq5b. But I'll be here today as well. Promise.

Miss ya brotha.

Good to see you. Talk to ya soon. Peace. P.S. Locust posted the Blog!! blog link!

HomeStationMagazine
Message 26 of 64 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for the update Jack - nice to see you back on Forums -

Good luck to Cyd - and good luck to our future Home

JPConway

Message 27 of 64 (22 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1207 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Jersquall wrote:

Locust_Star wrote:

Jack's on forum duty right now; I'm on the blog: http://**bleep**/9Gaq5b. But I'll be here today as well. Promise.

Miss ya brotha.

Good to see you. Talk to ya soon. Peace. P.S. Locust posted the Blog!! blog link!

Ooooh, Canada Day/Independance Day celebrations and items! Fantastic! This is going to be a great weekend even with my 31st bday being on Monday.

Message 28 of 64 (22 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3699 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for the update Jack. I've been a part of Home since Closed Beta, so i've seen it grow and change a lot. Can't wait to see what's next, as for the "Top Secret" plans in the works, i'm sure it will be awesome!

-

We will miss you CydoniaX -- Thanks of all of the hard work you've done, was nice knowing ya. Take care!

Message 29 of 64 (22 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jun 30, 2010

JackBuser wrote:
Hi HearltWow,

Thanks for the thoughtful post!

PlayStation Home is a free service that offers a variety of different options for both developers and the community. We're committed to providing a great mix of diverse content and experiences. The core of the Home experience, including tons of games, events, items, videos, music, etc., will remain free. As a platform, we are committed to allowing our development community to innovate and provide cutting edge experiences and business models.

Yes, you will continue to see lots of free content released (see blog post coming shortly for evidence of this). You will also see some developers offer premium experiences, such as personal spaces and games for sale. Lastly, you will even see some developers offer a hybrid of both (called "freemium"). Sodium is a great example of this. Midway is pay-to-play, but also offers options such as timed free play, and is loaded with over 100 fantastic rewards. We think you’ll find it worth the price of admission

Best,

Jack

Thanks for the reply, Jack. It's good to know that there is a commitment to keeping some things in Home free, so that every member of the community can enjoy them. It's the shared experiences that so many of us in Home love.

I've said before on the boards that I think there is room for pay-for-play services, and I will be checking out the Midway tomorrow to see how it all works. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I will look at it through critical eyes.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 30 of 64 (22 Views)
0 Likes