Highlighted
Jun 30 2010
By: JackBuser Splicer 6 posts

PlayStation Home State of the Union - Post E3 edition

63 replies 20 views Edited Jun 30, 2010

Hi again Home Community,

As we come out of E3 on a wave of extremely exciting announcements for both Home and PlayStation in general, I thought it might be a good time to jump in the forums and reflect on all that we’ve recently accomplished, as well as give a glimpse into where we are going in the future.
If there’s one message I’d like to send today, it’s that your feedback directly guides the future of PlayStation Home.  It is this philosophy which has brought us to where we are today, and will continue to guide our platform in the future.  We hear you loud and clear, and we will never stop listening, whether it is here in the forums, in Home, on your own websites, podcasts, or even in the real world.  You set the direction of this platform.

The momentum coming out of E3 has been truly invigorating for PlayStation Home.  Last year, we showed a glimpse of E3 in Home, and were met with a very enthusiastic response from you.  You wanted more from Home at E3, and we delivered – literally building a replica of the booth in Home, loaded with rewards and exclusive content.  For the first time, anyone with a PlayStation 3 could experience the excitement of E3 first hand, and as a result, five times more people attended E3 in Home than the E3 conference itself.  This is the kind of experience that is only possible with a PlayStation 3, and truly speaks to the power of the PlayStation Home.

At the show itself, we answered the call of many more of your requests.  Cabin Boy, the first game for your personal space, marked the beginning of a new class of item specifically requested by you - arcade games you can play in your personal space.  The Playground was launched, an urban-themed space with both H-O-R-S-E basketball and chess, responding directly to several reoccurring requests for this kind of environment.  We also announced that this space will feature radios for your personal space, delivering music to your apartments for the very first time.  We featured an exclusive “behind the scenes” look at the people who developed the Playground space, and took a closer look at how PlayStation Home spaces are created – again, a direct result of what you have asked us for.  The list of requests that we have delivered on continues to grow, and reinforces our commitment to you, the PlayStation Home community.

As PlayStation Home continues to grow and change, so does our team.  Some of you have already noticed that CydoniaX is no longer serving as Community Manager.  Her contributions to growing the platform and supporting the Home community are greatly appreciated.  As we look towards the future of Home, familiar faces like Locust_Star and Glasswalls will be increasing their focus on expanding and optimizing Community Management’s engagement with you.  Examples of this include real world appearances such as E3, new initiatives like the Community Theater, previews of upcoming content, experiences like those provided by the Midway and Steampunk spaces, and much more - all of which gives everyone more opportunities to connect with each other in increasingly deep and meaningful ways.

Our vision for Home as a universe of games, connecting gamers together, has never been closer to reality than it is today.  While your favorite games such as Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock 2 launch new and innovative ways of integrating their game experiences into Home, a rapidly growing number of award winning game developers have begun to develop games specifically for PlayStation Home.  Internally, we’ve focused our teams on several top-secret large scale projects, based directly on your wants and needs, so stay tuned for more exciting announcements to come.

Our mission is to gather your feedback and act on it.  We are an agile team, Home is a dynamic platform, and we are focused on the community driving development.  I speak for the whole Home team here when I say it’s truly an honor to work with you all on this revolutionary and ever-evolving platform. 

Here's to the future!

Jack

Message 1 of 64 (20 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: PlayStation Home State of the Union - Post E3 edition

Jun 30, 2010

Yeah 5 posts Jack. Keep em coming. We won't bite!

Wow top secret projects... they sound kool! Can we get a hint?

Message 2 of 64 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jun 30, 2010

From E3 on, Home is really changing! Liking the Boombox, Pool tables coming tomorrow. It's GDC 2007 with Phil Harrison all over again!

Can you give us a little hint on this Secret Project going on Jack?

Message 3 of 64 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Can I have Cydonias old job,,,

I work hard and have a lot of fresh idea's

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 64 (20 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4841 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Don't believe Joanna she does bite..

Cyd no longer with us ?

Give us a little hint on this Secret Project Jake ??

♣♦

The Realm Of AnarchY

♠♥
Message 5 of 64 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Jack, it's great to see you in the forums and it's great to see all the new things coming to PlayStation Home. The last month has been an incredible amount of fun, to the point where I'm spending so much time in Home that I'm having trouble finding time for other games.

Even though a lot of good is happening, there is still something that greatly concerns me and other members of the community, and that's pay for play. Tomorrow will see the launch of the first pay-themed space in Home. Rather than giving the community new ways to interact, I feel that this throws a barrier between those who can afford it and those who can't.

I'm in the business world and understand that profits drive development, but I also feel that this is a poor choice for the long-term viability of Home. One of the community's biggest complaints is that there aren't enough things to do. How does a space like Midway help in that area, if the users who are unwilling to pay are excluded? Can we expect more of this in the future? Will there still be free minigames with rewards?

Many of us are looking for answers to these questions. I don't expect you to give anything away, but some kind of answer would be most appreciated.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 6 of 64 (20 Views)
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Jun 30, 2010

sounds good.

hopefully the road leading from E3 wont be as bumpy as last years.

Message 7 of 64 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2693 posts

Jun 30, 2010

So, Cyd is really gone... Wonder whos gonna replace her; 2 HCMs in present day Home just doesn't feel like enough, IMO.

A very (very) basic LBP level... by me. http://lbp.me/v/pj9eqq
(PS: Blank Friend Requests WILL be deleted!)
Message 8 of 64 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1031 posts

Jun 30, 2010

smack69er wrote:

I got the mark on my neck as proof also.

Message 9 of 64 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4841 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Carla_Birch wrote:

smack69er wrote:

I got the mark on my neck as proof also.

That's what happens when you said " I DO "

♣♦

The Realm Of AnarchY

♠♥
Message 10 of 64 (20 Views)
0 Likes