Re: PlayStation Home Extended Maintenance, December 13, 2013

Dec 15, 2013

Message 3351 of 5,462 (530 Views)
Gaming Beast
1732 posts

Dec 15, 2013

cujo_0476 wrote:

Just wondering if you have any idea when PSH is gonna be back up and online? Im from Indiana and its been 2 days since it went down for maintenance.

At this time, all Tranny can tell you is that Sony absolutely positively refuses to answer that question 100%.

Message 3352 of 5,462 (486 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Dec 15, 2013

"We will provide you with an update"

3507yu7037.gif

Message 3353 of 5,462 (480 Views)
Gaming Beast
1732 posts

Dec 15, 2013

DuB_Tino_WuB wrote:

"We will provide you with an update"

3507yu7037.gif

Indeed.

Message 3354 of 5,462 (658 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11567 posts

Dec 15, 2013

Chun_kii wrote:

Savage.. you are right about the original post but of what use is an 'update' once Home is back online?  will it take a week, a month? cmon be realistic man

About as useless as posting the Blog hours after Home is online. My point is, what can you do about it. 

I read through some of these and it's makes me wonder if people have any kind of real life.

I think some forgot that the PS3 is first and foremost a gaming console. Go play a game, what a novel idea that would be.

I know there's a lot of people addicted to Home, but I didn't think it was this bad, it's kind of sad actually.

I enjoy Home just as much as the next person, but I have plenty of other things to occupy my time and keep me busy.

Besides the crazy stuff like grocery shopping, laundry, housework, I hung out with a friend, started reading a new book,

watched a movie, and yes, actually played a few games.....Smiley Surprised

Message 3355 of 5,462 (633 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Dec 15, 2013

ipwnzj00 wrote:

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

Tranny_Got_Swag wrote:
Nearly 3300 posts and no word from the Home staff, wow that's like a whole new plateau in the realm of unmatched incompetence and total lack of respect for those guys.

Go back and read the OP:

Tempest_Fire wrote:
PlayStation Home is currently undergoing extended maintenance. We will provide you with an update when the service is back online. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and support.

The sense of entitlement on this thread is appalling. If HSM wanted to right another article about whiners, they'd need to look no further.

Lol, that pretty much sums it up. The people complaining about the lack of information don't even think it through either. The reason they're not updating us is because there's nothing to say. Do you really want them to come online and post "Sorry, we'll remain down for an undetermined amount of time." That doesn't solve anything. If they post precisely the reason they're down then it will just get more people complaining about them being incompetent. The only thing that will solve this issue is them ... oh, I don't know, solving the issue. Which is what they're doing. Would you really rather have them updating us regularly or actually fixing the problem.

The problem now is the same problem Home has always had when it comes to any sort of maintenence issue. No matter what the issue is, no matter how reasonable it is that the service has to be temporarily shut down, people are just going to complain. Hell, even when it's up people are complaining. That's all this forum is anymore, complaining. "Granzella had a bad week." "WHY AREN'T WE GETTING THAT HERE?" "BRING BACK CENTRAL PLAZA."

It's tired. It's overdone. It'll be back when it's back. All we can do is wait. Believe it or not, your PS3 has other games. All very capable of working 100% I might add. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go restore the honor of the Thieves Guild in the name of Nocturnal.

ipwnzj00....i cannot agree more with your post. i rarely get on the forums for the very reasons your post states.

"human contact is awesome, try it sometimes"
Message 3356 of 5,462 (624 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Dec 15, 2013
Well then.....maybe its time to get an XBox !!!
Message 3357 of 5,462 (619 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Dec 15, 2013

Meanwhile in Japan Servers...

Meanwhile...gif

Message 3358 of 5,462 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
1732 posts

Dec 15, 2013

cujo_0476 wrote:
Well then.....maybe its time to get an XBox !!!

Tranny would rather give birth to a chair than get an Xbox.

Message 3359 of 5,462 (589 Views)
Lombax Warrior
213 posts

Dec 15, 2013

As a person in the industry, I have to wonder if this was an "error" or sabotage by a disgruntled employee or employees.  PSH isn’t some small business-like server app.  It’s a major undertaking requiring many servers in clusters, around the planet.

Even the smallest “update”, done on the main server, would have to be replicated to the other servers.  Trying to find this problem in the code, just on its own can take quite a while, even with a team of coders.

Add to that the regional differences, which could really add time to find the problem as now, the software for each region will have differences.  So the fix(es) can be difficult to sort out and replicate properly.

What bothers me is this Dev. Code leak thing.  I mean, anyone in this industry, knows full well that a leak of this magnitude just doesn’t happen so easily.  Or at least, it should not if the team is tight and the management are doing their jobs.  SOMEONE(s) have to sign off on everything before it’s pushed out.

If it’s hackers, that’s one thing.  But if this is from the inside, THAT is another and could indicate either apathy of those inside or as others have mentioned, an attitude of IDGAF. 

I’m just thinking out loud here, but WHAT IF, on the inside, the programmers and staff know that Home is on its way out and is not being developed for PS4.  Knowing that your job is going to end in the near future would make most people feel apathetic.

It’s true that not one of us out here KNOW specifically what happened.  What we do know, is that it’s not just some small update!  Something big went down and staff is scrambling to find/fix the issue.  And yes, they do work weekends.  This is not some small mom and pop shop.  It’s a corporation.

As for the software, if Home has been hacked with developer level rights, then some very VERY serious damage may have been done!

The reality is, there’s nothing special about the programmers who created and maintain Home.  It’s just software.  There are a lot of really good programmers around and some who are of the “bad” sort, can hack into systems and do untold damage.  And that’s without provided an open door via developer access.

Time will tell.  We’ll finally get to know what happened.  If this is a big as I’m suspecting, Sony won’t be able to hide this.

I do wonder, however, why they just didn’t do a restore to a previous, more secured version.  Unless of course, that would cause people to lose a lot of paid-for items.  I think that’s valid.

I’m in the boat with those who feel, “it’s back when it’s back”.  Home is something I love to play on.  It’s by no means my life.

Message 3360 of 5,462 (588 Views)