Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

Re: PlayStation Home Arcade App Available Today For PS Vitade

Feb 6, 2013

Impressive, a step in the right direction at a reasonable price.

Very Nice !    :smileyvery-happy:

Message 51 of 74 (197 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
67 posts

Re: The Vita gets a taste of PlayStation Home today with the Home Arcade

Feb 6, 2013
Message 52 of 74 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Awesome is a dish best served cool. There's no better way to describe this stuff.

As someone who grew up in the arcades, I've held on to that teenage fantasy of owning an arcade at home. At one point, I actually lived in a house with a Return of the Jedi arcade machine, and I can safely say the reality of owning an actual machine is not as cool as the idea. They get old, eventually.

That's what ultimately makes these games so sweet. For $1.50, about what you'd dump into one of these games at a real arcade, you can have them forever and play them whenever the urge strikes. The arcade ports are perfect, right down to Frogger's twitchy controls (which was handled in the arcades by a heavily dampened joystick) and Asteroids' screen-wrapping bullets.

I'll point out three of these as must-haves, and two as must haves for anyone.

Astrosmash should be in everyone's inventory. This is a fantastic update of the game, with a wide range of new enemies and powerups that brings it in line with modern arcade-style shooters. It gets harder as it goes, something the original didn't do. The graphics are a little on the overproduced side, but it's still a solid experience.

Shark Shark is also a must own. It's the original eat or be eaten video game, and it stands up well. Not as much updating on this title beyond the graphics that I've seen, apart from a new bonus level if you eat the mermaid. This is highly addictive fun for casual gamers as well as those who like a modest challenge.

The TV console version of Adventure, which itself is an awesome bonus, is the version to own. I haven't checked to see if the arcade cabinets do this,but the TV version has the full set of Atari console switches, giving you the option to select all the difficulty levels and even play the game in black and white. The complete, original Adventure manual is also included. This is a must have for anyone who owned a 2600 back in the day.

The CAT in the $15 bundle has some limited use. Centipede has more custom options than Asteroids and Lunar Lander, which just let you adjust lives and fuel. There are plenty of other reasons to get the $15 bundle, including having all the cabinets in three different styles and all of the T-shirts, but if you're on a budget you can very easily live without the CAT. It won't diminish your enjoyment of the games.

It's interesting to note that the Atari and Intellivsion titles previously appeared on a different system, and hopefully there are plans to make more of these. Intellivision's Night Stalker is on the way, but I'd love to see more from the Atari 2600 and arcade catalogs, as well as more Konami.

My "home arcade" may be virtual, but Home now lets me build a pretty amazing arcade man cave for about the price of an afternoon at a real arcade. These are some of the best Home items ever. I say this as someone who's heavily biased toward arcade games and retrograming in general, but even those who aren't into those games will probably enjoy Astrosmash.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 53 of 74 (173 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Feb 6, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

The TV console version of Adventure, which itself is an awesome bonus, is the version to own. I haven't checked to see if the arcade cabinets do this,

They do.

Any chance you'd be willing to make a video of the Gen2 versions of the Intellivision games?

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 54 of 74 (162 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 6, 2013
Is it possible to get Icebreaker and Wipeout cabinets if you don't have a Vita?
Message 55 of 74 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Vita owners don't get those cabinets in Home. They're just playable on the Home Arcade application for free.

Btw, Lunar Lander and Adventure appear to be Home only at the moment. They cannot be played on the Vita.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 56 of 74 (158 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 6, 2013
Thanks, Stardust. That cleared my confusion.
Message 57 of 74 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I'm flat out at work right now and heading to New York early next week for Toy Fair. I'm sure someone can beat me to making that video. If they haven't, I may throw something together.

In the meantime, there are far worse things you could do with $1.50 than buy Astrosmash. Like spend the money on Fanta or Good and Plenty.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 58 of 74 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I got all those Arcades, At that Price who could complain... And GUESS what nDreams? All of those only take 1 Slot Each!  Yes i said it 1 slot each!

Now that's the way to do Arcades!

Yeah Now were talkin'

i got like 25 arcades now some are just decorations... But Hey there still Arcades, LOL!

It be nice if they would sell us Icebreaker and echoChrome Arcades that would rock!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 59 of 74 (143 Views)
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2013

As a kid who grew up with his dad's Intellivision II, I have a fondness for the runner-up system, with my favorites being Frogger, Shark! Shark! (WHY did I lose that cartridge?!), and BurgerTime. And, hey, as the song goes, two outta three ain't bad, though the arcade version of the first is, oddly enough, too detailed for my taste/conditioning. Add in Home rewards and a cheap Scribble Shooter, and I may yet buy something this Store update!

And thanks for the head's up on the Atari bundle. Wicked nice, though I'll have to hold off, since I'm still spreading thin money I don't have, haha!

So, anyone find out yet if the rewards can be unlocked via Vita? And which games can unlock rewards for friends?

EDIT: Turns out BurgerTime's not in its box, either. *sigh* Lost manuals and inserts sting badly enough, but the object itself is the point of it all!

Message 60 of 74 (133 Views)