Feb 05 2013
By: VioletWinds Fender Bender 2930 posts

Picture taking by strangers

[ Edited ]
73 replies 905 views Edited Feb 5, 2013

I was wearing a succubus outfit and standing on my cloud in the Hub last night when someone came up to me, showing he was taking pictures. A (male) friend immediately stood in front of him to block him from taking my picture, which made him complain loudly that people kept blocking his view. I said to him that he could have at least asked first, to which he replied that he was just having fun taking pictures to upload to YouTube (as if this made it somehow more acceptable).

Thinking it over, I can't decide if his picturing taking is acceptable behavior or not. On the one hand, it's just pixels, not really me. On the other hand, it strikes me as a creepy thing to do. Especially since I watched him for awhile after that and he only took pictures of female avatars.

Opinions, thoughts?

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 1 of 74 (905 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
403 posts

Re: Picture taking by strangers

Feb 5, 2013

While rude, it's not exactly surprising given you are wearing a sexy costume in a public space frequented by hormonal adolescent males who apparently were raised by wolves.

Message 2 of 74 (869 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Its easy to get bothered by this. 

Some ppl lack any creativity and insist of having a memento to rip off it and claim as their own. 

Also for other purposes such as using a picture against u and spreading to others for their own agendA. 

just like in the real world. 

Picture taking on home is quite annoying. 

But its not that big of a deal. 

But it can become. 

- Restless Dreams.
Message 3 of 74 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Feb 5, 2013
Maybe a bit creepy but, as you said, it's just pixels.

Better that he gets his jollies by snapping pics of avatars in Home than some public place in real life. That could be something to worry about.
castle3
Message 4 of 74 (851 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

VioletWinds wrote:

I was wearing a succubus outfit and standing on my cloud in the Hub last night when someone came up to me, showing he was taking pictures. A (male) friend immediately stood in front of him to block him from taking my picture, which made him complain loudly that people kept blocking his view. I said to him that could have at least asked first, to which he replied that he was just having fun taking pictures to upload to YouTube (as if this made it somehow more acceptable).

Thinking it over, I can't decide if his picturing taking is acceptable behavior or not. On the one hand, it's just pixels, not really me. On the other hand, it strikes me as a creepy thing to do. Especially since I watched him for awhile after that and he only took pictures of female avatars.

Opinions, thoughts?

As far as I know, an individual has no right to privacy in a public place. I'd assume the same would hold true when in Home. Creepy? Yes it is a bit. I take it in stride when it happens to me as there are worse things than having my picture taken. I seldom ever say anything. 

I try to forgo incriminating activities in public and hope friends who like to take pictures are discriminating with them (you know who are).

Message 5 of 74 (836 Views)
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

Feb 5, 2013

i always find it odd when i see some person seemingly randomly taking pictures. most of the time i wonder what they are taking pictures of.

never have had someone take pics of me, that i know of, though. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 74 (826 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28239 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Personally I see no issue with taking pictures in general. But if someone asked me not to take one of them (their avatar), I would comply. I wouldn't want to upset them or make their Home experience uncomfortable.

Taking a series of pictures of someone who had already asked the photographer to stop is consdered harassment - just as any other unwanted attention is harassment. And it is up to the person who is the subject of the photographer to make that decision, not their friends who are with them.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 7 of 74 (813 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Feb 5, 2013

myalana wrote:

VioletWinds wrote:

I was wearing a succubus outfit and standing on my cloud in the Hub last night when someone came up to me, showing he was taking pictures. A (male) friend immediately stood in front of him to block him from taking my picture, which made him complain loudly that people kept blocking his view. I said to him that could have at least asked first, to which he replied that he was just having fun taking pictures to upload to YouTube (as if this made it somehow more acceptable).

Opinions, thoughts?

As far as I know, an individual has no right to privacy in a public place. I'd assume the same would hold true when in Home. Creepy? Yes it is a bit. I take it in stride when it happens to me as there are worse things than having my picture taken. I seldom ever say anything. 

I try to forgo incriminating activities in public and hope friends who like to take pictures are discriminating with them (you know who are).

Alana's 100% right about this. As far as Sony is concerned, your presence in a public Home space is the equivalent of your presence in a public park, shopping mall, etc. People are free to take pictures of your avatar without your consent, or to use your avatar in machinima.

Something to keep in mind the next time you're in a public space.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 8 of 74 (812 Views)
Fender Bender
2961 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Every store in the real world you walk into your on tape. In every major city around the world. All the important public areas especially in NYC, London your on tape. This is not new. But to be hypersensitive here is just childish to say the least. If you don't want people taking your picture than stay out of public spaces. You have no right stopping anyone in any public space. From taking pictures whether your the subject or not. Hence the word public domain comes into play. Google it...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Message 9 of 74 (788 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Feb 5, 2013

The polite thing to do is to ask someone before taking pictures but that doesn't always happen. yeah..

HomeStationMagazine
Message 10 of 74 (732 Views)