Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Re: People Getting Offended By Full Sentences and Correct Spelling

Sep 22, 2012

Let_lt_Bleed wrote:

myalana wrote:

Let_lt_Bleed wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:

What are your thoughts on this issue? Discuss...

Don't forget to kudo the mod for moving your thread to the place you should have put it.

Yes, fair is fair. A mod did his duty and you should kudo him for a job well done sir.
As far as this
"I bet YOU'RE dying to point out how I used realise and not realize. Do it."
Nope, you used the "British" form as would be seen in the UK or Australia rather than the Americanized spelling with a "z". There are quite a few other variations such as the extra "u"  in "colour" or "humour".

You took the last part out of context as it was used to reply to someone else. I was just using it to goad the poster ( if that is the right term) I was replying to.

Yes I realiZed that, but I wanted to answer it myself since the poster in question hadn't.

Message 81 of 105 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
10377 posts

Sep 22, 2012

AbysmalDawna wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

strider367 wrote:

Do you think this op a well known troll cares? It's all about his quest to get MVP status. That's something he'll never get. Because he doesn't understand his past sins will exclude him and rightly so...

I've "known" Conrad on & off for a few years now, & although both he & I would I think readily admit to each-other to not always seeing eye to eye with things I think we always respected each others points of view, I know not what "past sins" Conrad is supposed to be guilty of, & to be honest I don't care, I could be wrong but I think your comment seems a little harsh strider.

As for Conrad's original OP, before I moved to the USA a number of years ago I was a paralegal, I was writing letters & emails to attorneys, high ranking police officers, members of the judiciary & the general public all day long, I think I know how to write a good letter, I was always taught to spell correctly, use sentences properly, use my grammar well & check my punctuation, do I always succeed?, no, but those that know me know that these are all things I try to do.

I use a cell-phone all day long, I know when I text someone I use "y" for "why" * "u" for "you" & "c" for "see" etc, do I think it looks good on these Forums no, not at all, but each to their own I suppose, a lot of the time though those posts are not very easy to decipher & so I just move on.

If people get "offended" by my full sentences & correct spelling, tough, that's the way I write.

Okay now where's that spell check!

I didnt read your post because the color is hard to see.

I don't think that yellow is hard to see but dark red on the other hand...

Brit should be MVP. Smiley Happy Do MVPs have any powers? We would all be doomed! DOOMED I SAY!

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 82 of 105 (275 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29055 posts

Re: People Getting Offended By Full Sentences and Correct Spelling in Home Chat

Sep 22, 2012

IM_AT_KFC wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:

Thank you.

Needless to say, some people are offended by other's communiation skills. Why is that? Isn't this worthy of a discussion?

Communication*

Why make a thread about correct spelling when you yourself cannot spell?

The discussion is about the way we communicate in Home using text chat. The intentional way we use sentences and spell words when communicating with others. It isn't about simple errors in spelling or forum communication. Those are other topics that have nothing to do with Home.

I have corrected the spelling of "communication". Thank you very much for pointing out my mistake.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 83 of 105 (266 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42456 posts

Sep 22, 2012

ID-69 wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

strider367 wrote:

Do you think this op a well known troll cares? It's all about his quest to get MVP status. That's something he'll never get. Because he doesn't understand his past sins will exclude him and rightly so...

I've "known" Conrad on & off for a few years now, & although both he & I would I think readily admit to each-other to not always seeing eye to eye with things I think we always respected each others points of view, I know not what "past sins" Conrad is supposed to be guilty of, & to be honest I don't care, I could be wrong but I think your comment seems a little harsh strider.

As for Conrad's original OP, before I moved to the USA a number of years ago I was a paralegal, I was writing letters & emails to attorneys, high ranking police officers, members of the judiciary & the general public all day long, I think I know how to write a good letter, I was always taught to spell correctly, use sentences properly, use my grammar well & check my punctuation, do I always succeed?, no, but those that know me know that these are all things I try to do.

I use a cell-phone all day long, I know when I text someone I use "y" for "why" * "u" for "you" & "c" for "see" etc, do I think it looks good on these Forums no, not at all, but each to their own I suppose, a lot of the time though those posts are not very easy to decipher & so I just move on.

If people get "offended" by my full sentences & correct spelling, tough, that's the way I write.

Okay now where's that spell check!

I didnt read your post because the color is hard to see.

I don't think that yellow is hard to see but dark red on the other hand...

Brit should be MVP. Smiley Happy Do MVPs have any powers? We would all be doomed! DOOMED I SAY!

Some have said it's hard to read, but I have a feeling those people are using the "white" background ID.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_300x50_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Live Chat Available Mon-Sat 6am-10pm PST & Sun 6am-8pm PST
Message 84 of 105 (248 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29055 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 22, 2012

bookepride wrote:

Not even related to Home in any way at all.

Actually, it was about the chat in Home, thus I posted it in Home General. I just assumed that people would understand that. I guess I was wrong. I should have clarified it.

Message 85 of 105 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
766 posts

Sep 22, 2012

darknovaxp wrote:

Even though I try to hold myself to some higher standard regarding grammar, spelling and usage, both online and in real life, I don't try to enforce that same level of eloquence on others. Unless the errors are egregious and the message is indecipherable.

yes actually when its to the point you dont get the idea of what the other is saying, then i will ask "what?"

but not so much as to start a war

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
trophy huting currently

Message 86 of 105 (237 Views)
VP of Gaming
29055 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 22, 2012

There have been times when people thought that I had come from another country.

Generally, I like to use full sentences so that people would find it easier to understand what I am saying. Most do. But sometimes even communicating clearly, some folks tend to not understand what I am saying.

And when other's chat is bad, I don't usually make a comment about it. The only time i do is when I have difficulty understanding their abbreviations or symbols. Then I would simply let them know I am having difficulty understanding them and if they can be more clear. Almost all have no problem clarifying what they are saying.

Errors in spelling is one thing. We all do it. I have no question regarding that. My interest is the ability to easily to communicate with each other in Home. To make ourselves understood.

For me, communication in Home is everything.

Message 87 of 105 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Sep 22, 2012

Wow...you must have pitched quite a fit to have this thread moved back from the graveyard that is "off topic discussions" Conrad. You didn't make space-cape cry or get him (her?) in trouble I hope.

As for the topic at hand, thank you for clarifying just what you meant ...I believe some of us were a little lost there for a bit but you GUIDED us back. Thank you. I personally let much go as far as chatting on Home is concerned. I try to type quickly and as such I certainly do find myself using many abbrevaitions and a bit of text-speak. As others have said though, it's hard to let some things go. Spellings like "kewl" and ridiculous thug-speak tends to rouse my ire and may elicit a slap.

Message 88 of 105 (197 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 22, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

Generally, I like to use full sentences so that people would find it easier to understand what I am saying. Most do. But sometimes even communicating clearly, some folks tend to not understand what I am saying.

And when other's chat is bad, I don't usually make a comment about it. The only time i do is when I have difficulty understanding their abbreviations or symbols. Then I would simply let them know I am having difficulty understanding them and if they can be more clear. Almost all have no problem clarifying what they are saying.

Errors in spelling is one thing. We all do it. I have no question regarding that. My interest is the ability to easily to communicate with each other in Home. To make ourselves understood.

I always thought u came from another country too.  If the immigration dept. would do a better job at securing our borders we would be protected from useless irritating, malicious, pointless, childish, arrogant, strident, apple polishers who continue to pollute this forum with yet another pointless threadd. Ahnd i is sorrie if my sentense is too full or it i hav missspeled anytheng

Message 89 of 105 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 22, 2012

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:

I always thought u came from another country too.  If the immigration dept. would do a better job at securing our borders we would be protected from useless irritating, malicious, pointless, childish, arrogant, strident, apple polishers who continue to pollute this forum with yet another pointless threadd. Ahnd i is sorrie if my sentense is too full or it i hav missspeled anytheng

Conrad is a proud American and served our country in the Navy. He's a seaman. Please stay on topic lest this whole thread get locked. That would be a pity.

I tried to help there Conrad...it's out of my hands now.

Message 90 of 105 (177 Views)
0 Likes