Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Re: PSTALENT.COM is first community-born home developer - brings The Shadows Collection

Oct 30, 2012

NorseGamer wrote:

Regarding launching with male-exclusive clothing: it takes a not-insubstantial financial investment to become a PlayStation Home developer (to say nothing of the paperwork), and that's before incurring the sunk cost necessary to develop a single virtual commodity and put it through QA. The challenge, then, is what can be quickly created and sold with broad market appeal, so that cash flow can be generated to put towards larger projects. Remember, many Home developers are relatively small operations; to quote the first Mortal Kombat film, "A handful of people on a leaky boat are gonna save the world."

When placed in context, PSTalent's first product release as a developer makes perfect sense: the majority of Home's audience is male (regardless of which gender they choose to portray themselves as), male clothing items occasionally appeared on SCEA's top-ten sales lists (by number of units sold) for 2012 -- whereas female clothing items performed noticeably poorly in comparison -- and clothing which can be used for "fam"-related activities already has an established precedent for strong sales. Look at how well Lockwood's Figment suit performed.

Would it have been nice to see female clothing items in the opening launch? Sure. But when margins are thin and costs are high to begin with, you don't take chances. Every new developer coming out of the gate has gambled on what will have the broadest appeal to generate cash flow, with varying degrees of success. Off the top of my head, the only new developer in recent times which has gambled big (and won as a result) was Juggernaut, with the release of the Cutteridge Estate last year. And that wasn't even supposed to be their debut release.

What I applaud PSTalent for is finding a niche in the menswear category that no one had yet exploited. The kids who want to play gangster will buy it, but these are obviously zoot suits -- and they carry a much richer and more textured history that may appeal beyond just the kiddies.

Once the cash flow starts to come in, PSTalent -- like any other developer starting out -- will have a bit more leeway to experiment. It's entirely logical to expect to see female apparel from them at some point in the future. So far, though, they appear to be off to a good start.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Everyone wants to cut them slack because its "PSTALENT" and its for this same reason that I feel they shouldn't be cut any slack. They should know by now the home community and aware of what our expectations are as far as Devs. 

You and everyone else is just embarrasing them even more by saying thay they dont have the money to Develope items, because if they did this wouldnt be a problem.

Message 51 of 80 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
539 posts

Re: PSTALENT.COM is first community-born home developer - brings The Shadows Collection

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2012

this thread shows alot . people telling us to calm down for not being apart of a community devs first release but then get mad at usa not getting granzilla items at same time as other regions . since 2009 males have been showered with items . its usually female 1 male 3 . konami has dont this numerous times and so has scea not too long ago my friend made a rather polite request for " personal preference " clothing and was insulted by many but it was "justified" with the notion that no one group should receive special treatment over another. last week eu got roller skates , this week is tea house and many of you are angry about it . why? because although we ll hopefully see it in the future we are initially left out . same applies here . females have always got either left out entirely or given way less . that my friends isnt equal . i see people saying its a budget , i guess i understand happy they can make many smile at my sadness

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 52 of 80 (140 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2012

I'll give them a chance, I just wish for more feedback from our developers and our staff here on the forums. I do not wish to add dozens on Facebook, subscribe to countless YouTube channels and follow scores of Twitter accounts to keep up. 3rd party sites are all well and good, but this IS after all the Official Home Forum. I respect and appreciate it when feedback is solicited and communication is made here.

I look forward to seeing what PSTalent comes up with, I just think it would be wise for them or any developer really to engage the community by all means possible. Certainly an event and some voucher codes for the new apparel would drum up interest as well and would seem to be right up their alley.

Message 53 of 80 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Oct 30, 2012

myalana wrote:

I'll give them a chance, I just wish for more feedback from our developers and our staff here on the forums. I do not wish to add dozens on Facebook, subscribe to countless YouTube channels and follow scores of Twitter accounts to keep up. I respect and appreciate it when feedback is solicited and communication is made here.

I look forward to seeing what PSTalent comes up with, I just think it would be wise for them or any developer really to engage the community by all means possible. Certainly an event and some voucher codes for the new apparel would drum up interest as well and would seem to be right up their alley.

There website is here if you haven't been to it as yet.

http://www.pstalent.com. 

Message 54 of 80 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2012

Ty Joanna, I was aware they have a site, yes. Sometimes it seems it's all put on the community  to "keep up" when really I would think that developers and staff alike would want to make the effort to "come to us" rather than make us "go to them".

Message 55 of 80 (130 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Oct 30, 2012

myalana wrote:

I'll give them a chance, I just wish for more feedback from our developers and our staff here on the forums. I do not wish to add dozens on Facebook, subscribe to countless YouTube channels and follow scores of Twitter accounts to keep up. I respect and appreciate it when feedback is solicited and communication is made here.

Either way you wont be able to give feedback, meaning before or after since theres no female outfits to give feedback on Smiley Frustrated

Message 56 of 80 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Oct 30, 2012

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

Either way you wont be able to give feedback, meaning before or after since theres no female outfits to give feedback on Smiley Frustrated

No there aren't female outfits yet, true. However, I for one would like the opportunity to tell the developer that I  would NOT want the same suit made available for women as the only female clothing option in this line. I would want it to flatter the female form and show off curves...make it so I wasn't mistaken for  "one of the boys" even from behind. Now that's just my particular want, but I'd like the opportunity to express it without having to jump through hoops to do so. PSTalent, are you out there? 

Message 57 of 80 (172 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Oct 30, 2012

myalana wrote:

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

No there aren't female outfits yet, true. However, I for one would like the opportunity to tell the developer that I  would NOT want the same suit made available for women as the only female clothing option in this line. I would want it to flatter the female form and show off curves...make it so I wasn't mistaken for  "one of the boys" even from behind. Now that's just my particular want, but I'd like the opportunity to express it without having to jump through hoops to do so. PSTalent, are you out there? 

Well... I dont have a request for this Dev I will not be buying anything they develop in the future.

Message 58 of 80 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2012

EDEA_KRAMER wrote:

this thread shows alot . people telling us to calm down for not being apart of a community devs first release but then get mad at usa not getting granzilla items at same time as other regions . since 2009 males have been showered with items . its usually female 1 male 3 . konami has dont this numerous times and so has scea not too long ago my friend made a rather polite request for " personal preference " clothing and was insulted by many but it was "justified" with the notion that no one group should receive special treatment over another. last week eu got roller skates , this week is tea house and many of you are angry about it . why? because although we ll hopefully see it in the future we are initially left out . same applies here . females have always got either left out entirely or given way less . that my friends isnt equal . i see people saying its a budget , i guess i understand happy they can make many smile at my sadness

I doubt that seriously...

Women have waaaaaaaaay more shoes and mixable items than males.

We are stuck with either skinny jeans which I hate, baggy jeans with the underwear up to our navels, or straight leg jeans.

In reality I wouldnt be caught dead wearing any of the three.

Then theres the effiminite Dre clothing line which doesnt reflect American fashion culture whatsoever.

Go to the stores and see for yourself.

Now I'll agree and admit lately female costumes (not clothing items) have been closing the gap as of lately (due to men or actually young male teens being the target market in the past as mentioned earlier by Norse). But by far the majority of clothing thats been released this year alone is womens.

Message 59 of 80 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Home Developer
332 posts

Oct 31, 2012

Hello Everyone!

I apologize for not responding earlier, I've been in "creative mode" editing video and it’s hard to switch gears.

I have posted threads here and on the EU forums in the past; mostly related to video content. I have always appreciated the feedback, good or bad, because it helps me rate our progress. I don't see any difference in the feedback with virtual items as with video. It's all welcome. 

Let me first say that we, 'PSTALENT', emerged from the community. Every single member on this team, in-house or abroad, is an active HOME user, fully engaged gamers which many of you know as friends. We launched PST over 3 years ago with one goal and one goal only; to produce quality storytelling entertainment using the absolute best talent from the HOME community. That was our goal then and continues to be our goal now. I can assure you, we are very much in-touch with the community and have no plans on changing that.

As a publisher, the standards we place on our content are no different than our videos. We don't produce video just for the sake of broadcasting something. We are and have been very selective, even holding back content that we can't seem to get right. Again, the goal is GOOD, QUALITY entertainment.

The Shadows Collection was designed for the future production - The Chronicles of Shadows. Back in the day (May, 2010) when there weren't many options for 'bad guys' I shot the pilot episode but because HOME was going through an upgrade process (the avatar images were not developing fully - deer in the headlights look) I shelved the project. I never lost the intention on its production, it’s always been on my mind and having the ability to publish virtual items was the perfect opportunity to move forward.

For the ladies - from the fine details of hair strands to the textured fabric, from colors and body fit, all must be present in the ladies Shadows Collection for it to launch fulfilling the high expectations of the community. Money is not a deciding factor, the end result is.  As with the videos, we will not publish virtual items just to fill a void. We are working on something for the ladies and I'll post an update as we get closer to the launch date - I cannot produce the Chronicles of Shadows without seductive ladies. That wouldn't be fun.

We will launch other items unrelated to Shadows. Our content will always be related to our stories. SONY has given PSTALENT the tools needed to advance our productions and we plan on using it to the best of our ability. 

Thank you again for your feedback.  I may not answer so quickly but I do keep up on activity. 

~ DOD

PST
Message 60 of 80 (126 Views)