Fender Bender
2760 posts

Re: PS4 Home question/comment

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

The future of ALL things is unpredictable. Entertainment is about the here and now. Home is entertainment.

How many DVDs do you own? When did you last actually watch them? . How many game disks do you own? PS2 games?? When did you last play them? How many items do you have unused in Home storage for more than 6 months??

See my point? Enjoy Home today. Buy and enjoy the items which enhance your Home experience today. Home on PS4 is probably irrelavant to the future use of most Home item purchases anyway.

Enjoy today. I do not worry about tomorrow.

Posted Image

Message 21 of 39 (477 Views)
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Apr 23, 2013

I suppose it is a difference in personal philosophies - live for today versus plan for the future.  I guess I'm inclined to follow the latter, but perhaps you have a point.  I'll think about that, thanks.

Message 22 of 39 (465 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Apr 23, 2013

leirbag_v wrote:

I suppose it is a difference in personal philosophies - live for today versus plan for the future.  I guess I'm inclined to follow the latter, but perhaps you have a point.  I'll think about that, thanks.

I have a certain gut feeling myself about where we are headed. Personally I don't see spending 5 dollar a week on some new content or perhaps a bit more all that big a deal. I certainly spend more than that on coffee or other snacks and things I enjoy each week. I do lots of things for entertainment without worrying about the long term implications of it.

I certainly undersand however if one isn't sure about the future to sit back and wait if that is what they feel confortable doing. The bottom line is that Sony Home Management is not prepared to share any information with us at the present time. If spending money is an issue simply enjoy the content you own until they make an official announcement.

Message 23 of 39 (455 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Well, it seems not much has changed over the years (Well, except for the fact that this section has become quite difficult to find after the changes to this site).

The official answer is "There's no official answer". However, if you're interested in speculation, both sides have legitimate claims.

As much as this part of the community loves Home, the truth is, it's failed to market itself without ridicule by the media (Which is a shame, because at first, I really thought Sony had something going for it).  PlayStation Home as a Social Networking tool exclusive to the PS3 is also an outdated concept once the PS4 hits, as that console brings far more than Home ever did within the User Interface itself.

However, if Home is going to be ported over, it would be a MASSIVE undertaking (both financially and in development time), but saying it's impossible is irresponsible, because it's not. Our complete Home saves now being hosted on Home's servers lends a little credibility to the claim that Home "MAY" be coming to the PS4, but that's not much to go on realistically.

One thing we can all be certain of is that micro-transactions are a good thing for console manufacturers. And as an added avenue for third party advertising (though most publishers aren't too crazy about its potential) it brings in more money to Sony that none of us see.

Will Home come to PS4? Probably not. Is it possible it will? Slightly. In the grand scheme of things, will it matter in the next generation of console gaming? Most probably not.

By the way, congrats to Joanna and Blue on your MVP status. Good to see that program is back up and running Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 39 (453 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Apr 23, 2013

CyberOcelot wrote:

Well, it seems not much has changed over the years (Well, except for the fact that this section has become quite difficult to find after the changes to this site).

The official answer is "There's no official answer". However, if you're interested in speculation, both sides have legitimate claims.

As much as this part of the community loves Home, the truth is, it's failed to market itself without ridicule by the media (Which is a shame, because at first, I really thought Sony had something going for it).  PlayStation Home as a Social Networking tool exclusive to the PS3 is also an outdated concept once the PS4 hits, as that console brings far more than Home ever did within the User Interface itself.

However, if Home is going to be ported over, it would be a MASSIVE undertaking (both financially and in development time), but saying it's impossible is irresponsible, because it's not. Our complete Home saves now being hosted on Home's servers lends a little credibility to the claim that Home "MAY" be coming to the PS4, but that's not much to go on realistically.

One thing we can all be certain of is that micro-transactions are a good thing for console manufacturers. And as an added avenue for third party advertising (though most publishers aren't too crazy about its potential) it brings in more money to Sony that none of us see.

Will Home come to PS4? Probably not. Is it possible it will? Slightly. In the grand scheme of things, will it matter in the next generation of console gaming? Most probably not.

By the way, congrats to Joanna and Blue on your MVP status. Good to see that program is back up and running Smiley Happy

Thank you Cyber Ocelot...

And thank you for offering your opinion about Home... You make a few good points.

I do have one problem... You say Home is outdated... I think its barely catching up with what is out there... And is leaps and bounds over what the other consoles offer..

I like many others just hope there is a version where people who play games on the ps4 can meet up... Its something I am use to and would truly miss... I like to play video games,,, but sometimes I like to sit on a floating shark and talk to others who play games while hanging out in Home...  I think Sony would be foolish to just drop it and not make a better alternative for the ps4...

As far as people ridiculing Home,,, that's on them,,, I find most to be antisocial cheapskates who want everything for free and don't know how to interact with people online outside of calling them names for killing them in a game...

Anyway thank you again for your nod.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 25 of 39 (441 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 23, 2013

@LiLBlueEyes: 

I personally loved the whole concept of Home long before it was launched. When it finally launched in 2008, I (and many others I'm sure) was left disappointed at it's lack of content after such an extreme delay. First impressions are important, and unfortunately, that first impression sacrificed early success.

As an exclusive Social Network for a console, the experience will be limited to those you first interact with. And unfortunately, there was a stronger chance for bad interactions than good ones. I stuck to it though. And for my commitment, I met some GREAT people, and was even a founder for one of the more popular groups at the time. But... 

PlayStation Home began to take a turn for the worst (in my opinion of course) presenting itself as a gaming platform, that quite honestly, should have never been its goal. Home, to me, was supposed to be a tool to meet like minded people, chill out together, build meaningful out-of-game experiences for more meaningful online gaming experiences later. But somewhere along the line (maybe Jack Buser responding to the common complaint of "There's nothing to do"?) its identity was lost.

I love everything that Home stood for as an application in a console at first. But, as a gaming platform, it can't compete. As a social network however, it thrives. Unfortunately, with the PS4 allowing for spectating, video chat, cross game chat, and merging pre-existing social networks like Facebook, and other apps available immediately through the UI, I don't see where it can stand in the PlayStation "Ecosystem" come next gen.

I would hate to see it go, and would be excited to see something similar and more robust emerge in its place as well. But if it maintains itself as an application that lacks an identity, and fails at the first impression point - Sony would be hard pressed to avoid negative press that would insult the existing community.

I know it seems like I'm complaining or ranting. But honestly, I'm not. I'm simply disappointed at the direction Home took over the years, and if it becomes (as it has) something that divides the PlayStation community socially, it may be best to hold on to fond memories, than to hold on to something that will be labeled as dated or pointless by the media.

And yes... I still miss Central Plaza (Even if it was a chore to deal with the default trolls).

Message 26 of 39 (424 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5706 posts

Apr 23, 2013

leirbag_v wrote:

I have found myself really hesitant to spend any more money in PS Home since the announcement of PS4, and without any information if Home is coming to PS4.  Anyone else experiencing this?  I'm a late blommer to Home.  I really only started hanging out in Home for about a year.  In a year's time I've purchased a number of personal spaces, clothing, games, etc, and I would really hate to lose that if PS4 will not continue with Home.  I guess I could go back to the PS3 to play Home, but that just seems silly, right?

Any news about PS4 and Home?

So long as there is a LBP andi have a sackboy HOME willnever die. As others said no information exsist yet. If sony should possibly toss HOME im sure they will have a nice HOME moving gift for all those who are heavily invested in HOME. After the Network outage of 2011 they made a nice welcome back package. Even i have to say im holding back spending  till they tell us something. Hang in there.

2013-04-08-140420.jpg

images.jpg

Message 27 of 39 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Apr 23, 2013

CyberOcelot wrote:

@LiLBlueEyes: 

I personally loved the whole concept of Home long before it was launched. When it finally launched in 2008, I (and many others I'm sure) was left disappointed at it's lack of content after such an extreme delay. First impressions are important, and unfortunately, that first impression sacrificed early success.

As an exclusive Social Network for a console, the experience will be limited to those you first interact with. And unfortunately, there was a stronger chance for bad interactions than good ones. I stuck to it though. And for my commitment, I met some GREAT people, and was even a founder for one of the more popular groups at the time. But... 

PlayStation Home began to take a turn for the worst (in my opinion of course) presenting itself as a gaming platform, that quite honestly, should have never been its goal. Home, to me, was supposed to be a tool to meet like minded people, chill out together, build meaningful out-of-game experiences for more meaningful online gaming experiences later. But somewhere along the line (maybe Jack Buser responding to the common complaint of "There's nothing to do"?) its identity was lost.

I love everything that Home stood for as an application in a console at first. But, as a gaming platform, it can't compete. As a social network however, it thrives. Unfortunately, with the PS4 allowing for spectating, video chat, cross game chat, and merging pre-existing social networks like Facebook, and other apps available immediately through the UI, I don't see where it can stand in the PlayStation "Ecosystem" come next gen.

I would hate to see it go, and would be excited to see something similar and more robust emerge in its place as well. But if it maintains itself as an application that lacks an identity, and fails at the first impression point - Sony would be hard pressed to avoid negative press that would insult the existing community.

I know it seems like I'm complaining or ranting. But honestly, I'm not. I'm simply disappointed at the direction Home took over the years, and if it becomes (as it has) something that divides the PlayStation community socially, it may be best to hold on to fond memories, than to hold on to something that will be labeled as dated or pointless by the media.

And yes... I still miss Central Plaza (Even if it was a chore to deal with the default trolls).

Oh no,,, those are all legitimate gripes...

I think we all have our own set of notions on how Home went wrong - personally I think it was when Home went ghetto and slightly trashy,,, How can you be a platform for gamers when you have thugs and thugettes roaming around talking trash and causing havoc,,,

And then when ever the managers wanted to have community events - people argued and turned it into a popularity contest... No wonder the managers threw their hands up in the air and walked away...

But I don't think Home is a total failure - I remember back in the day suggesting LMO's and having different dances - and today we have them - whatever happens at least I got my rollerskates I asked for 3 years ago,,, and a horse... LOL.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 28 of 39 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 24, 2013

Yeah, in regards to content, they did really well over the years. I'm sure there's still people in this forum community that will say otherwise, but overall, I think they exceeded expectations over time.

In my case, I cared more for features than content. And even in that, I was impressed when I returned recently to see EOD w/ several great channels, a better organized voice chat returning, etc...

I can't fault them for looking at the statistics and wanting to increase those to attract more third party publishers. However, I distinctly remember Jack Buser touting about how over 1 million people had visited Home, and the average time within the application was over one hour. I remember that statistic because I didn't fit that mold. I often spent several hours per visit because I was socializing and hanging out with friends.

I can only assume the strategy was to bring more games to attract more people and engage them. But, that mistake was made because they approached that strategy with the mind set of a game developer and not a social network creator. For example, sure, we all have a Facebook account, and sure, Facebook has tons of successful games (Not sure why exactly, but it does). But, people spend the bulk of their time chatting, not playing.

I can only hope that if they consider porting or recreating the application, they'll also have the wherewithal to give the application the identity it deserves. More importantly, they need to push it and not shy away when the growing pains surface.

We can't deny that from Sony's perspective, the money that comes in from Home microtransactions makes it a worthwhile venture. The only question now is, will they look to make it something meaningful to help define PlayStation as the King of innovation, and market it as such? Or... Will they continue to shift direction to short term profits as they've done in the current PS Home version.

Time will tell. But I can only hope it's the former, even if right now, the latter is true.  

Message 29 of 39 (353 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

Well I am looking forward to Home on the PS4 if Sony makes such a place.

I also hope they learned a great deal with the PS3 version of Home and make sure to

1. Allow expansion of character customizations with more distinction per customization. Example: Dance and Locomotion being seperate categories, and dresses are not listed under outfits, shirts, or pants but under a dress category.

2. Allow expansion of furniture categories. Some items simply do not fit in their current category. Example: A bed is not a chair, shelf is not an appliance nor is a flying donut.

3. Have one Main Store listing all stores seperately even if it falls under a subcategory of another. It is hard to locate certain stores when they fall under a subcategory of another. Example: It was difficult to find codeglue to look up the DYI item. This doesn't change 3rd party developers listing only their store or substores in their own space(s).

4. Speaking of stores the item subcategories could be updated to match the subcategories of wardrobe and furniture. This ties into the one and two above.

5. Make sure the Moderators have the tools to do the job from the start!  Not waiting years later to add tools that should have been there from day one.

Well those are just some I could think of right now.

Message 30 of 39 (332 Views)
0 Likes