Aug 10 2012
By: jimmynet Gaming Beast 1940 posts

PS3's Limits vs Home Limits

12 replies 283 views Edited Aug 10, 2012

I recall reading an article not long ago, (which I'm sorry I cant find now) but it was questioning Sony about the PS4 and a release date.. I just keep remembering the quote from Sony "Although we've yet to see what the PS3 can fully do when really put through its paces (in fact Sony states that games currently on the market are not even close to pushing the system to its full potential)" 

With that said, if it's not the hardware that's an issue that only means there's programming issues that both Sony and third party devs are struggling with to make Home much more stable and realistic, i.e. movements, emotes, graphics, freezes, lockups, load times..

I don't know, are the devs tapped out on how far they can go?

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 1 of 13 (283 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4055 posts

Re: PS3's Limits vs Home Limits

Aug 10, 2012
It's definitely a programming issue. The machine is powerful enough to achieve more with the platform but unless you make a new Home altogether all you can do is fine tune the backbone and add some flesh to it.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 2 of 13 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
588 posts

Aug 10, 2012

I remember reading some where that the SDK is much different and "non standard". Most devs had/have to learn to use the PS3 SDK because it was so different from other consoles SDK's.

Message 3 of 13 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2960 posts

Aug 10, 2012

The independent devs can only go as far as the platform lets them. The main problem in Home is the home platform group (sony) HPG. There based in London and as far as what I've seen from them. There either clueless on what they are doing here. Or they simply don't care. So the answer is Sony themselves are holding everything back here now. The third party devs as you call them are powerless in making this core a better experience...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Message 4 of 13 (257 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4055 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 10, 2012

Liverpool Studios are behind the development of Home if I'm not mistaken and the turnaround of staff, corporate restructures and ever-changing priorities (as set by the men in suits) hasn't helped matters. The devs take a lot of slack from us customers but we forget they can only develop what they are told to develop, and fix what they are told to fix.

The Home platform in essence being 7 years old, entering private Alpha testing to PSN members in 2007 (5 years ago). What people knew about the PS3 architecture then and what to do with it is leaps and bounds behind what can be done now.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 5 of 13 (247 Views)
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Aug 10, 2012

Yes I've read the specs on the PS3 and the hardware is pretty robust.. I've played some pretty intensive games and when it did have issues I'm sure it was software related.. Also read the US Air Force connects 1,760 PlayStation 3's to build supercomputer, innovative and cheap..

So yes, I agree the non-standard programming and turnaround on staff is a big issue.. Good points guys..

Message 6 of 13 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2633 posts

Aug 10, 2012
To be honest, all video game systems or interactive systems like the Phillips CD-I or Playstation Home will never be pushed to its limitations..
THE FAZEONES LOUNGE  2014 Home Logo
Message 7 of 13 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12803 posts

Aug 10, 2012

EdwCarnby wrote:

Liverpool Studios are behind the development of Home if I'm not mistaken and the turnaround of staff, corporate restructures and ever-changing priorities (as set by the men in suits) hasn't helped matters. 

Close. SCE London Studio does the development in Home

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 8 of 13 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Aug 10, 2012

artform-fazeone wrote:
To be honest, all video game systems or interactive systems like the Phillips CD-I or Playstation Home will never be pushed to its limitations..

Billion $ Phillips boo boo  HAA!

Message 9 of 13 (154 Views)
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Aug 10, 2012

It has been related to the Cell processor that the PS3 uses. Since the PS3's debute, its processor and the unique programming required to make games utilize it has been a nightmare.

Message 10 of 13 (133 Views)
0 Likes