Welcoming Committee
3752 posts

Re: PS+ Locked Features Are An Insult

Jan 24, 2013

I had a moment of enlightenment for as sec there LOL and It occurred to me that this Core update only benefits Sony.  Now let me explain, Core or Hard Core gamers that have plus might decide to have an interest in Home because of the added benefits given thus Sony making revenue off of anything they decide to buy and on the other hand Home users that want the added benefits will get the plus service from Sony, so in the end its a win/win for Sony no matter how you cut it.

Contrary Serperior Now Available for U.S.
Quod dignum sit facere, dignum est farcere bene
#Live the game
Message 161 of 199 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Miss_Ann_Thrope wrote:

I know quite a few friends who go on Home a lot and spend very liberally on items, but they do not play any games at all. They use their systems for Home and maybe to watch Netflix/BluRays and that’s it. And there are more of these types of people that you may realize. It would be ludicrous for me to suggest they pay $50/yr for Plus if they are not going to access 95% of the program’s benefits.

That would be me right there.

First off, let me say that I agree with all the people who argue that PS Plus is a great deal. It sounds like the program offers many valuable benefits for video gamers. Since I don't play video games outside of Home mini-games, however, PS Plus is a terrible deal for me. I have no problem with Sony offering deals in Home for PS Plus subscribers. In fact, I'd say that they should offer such benefits to encourage people to buy the service and give them value for their money. I just don't think that the benefits should be exclusively available to PS Plus subscribers, especially when they are features that the community at large has been requesting for a long time. Advance purchases through X7 or even an across-the-board discount on purchases would be more appropriate.

Personally, I'm quite content to go without most of  these features anyway. Additional wardrobes save slots and custom colours for pop-ups do not really interest me at all, actually. I would probably pay a few dollars for the option to play with custom hair colours but there is absolutely zero chance that I would pay a monthly fee for the feature. Ultimately, it ends up being Sony's loss more than mine for making these features available to PS Plus members only.

If they refuse to make the features standard, they should just give them to PS Plus members and offer to sell them at a reasonable price to everyone else. The everything-on-Home-should-be-free crowd will still not be pleased but it would seem to be the fairest option overall. Sony would likely generate the most revenue in that model as well, since I doubt that many people will subscribe to PS Plus for a few more features in Home. I know that I would not.

castle3
Message 162 of 199 (191 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Jan 24, 2013

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

I had a moment of enlightenment for as sec there LOL and It occurred to me that this Core update only benefits Sony.  Now let me explain, Core or Hard Core gamers that have plus might decide to have an interest in Home because of the added benefits given thus Sony making revenue off of anything they decide to buy and on the other hand Home users that want the added benefits will get the plus service from Sony, so in the end its a win/win for Sony no matter how you cut it.

Theoretically, you're right but here's the rub.

Hard-core gamers who subscribe to Plus are not likely to start using Home because they have more wardrobe save slots, pop-up colours and customisable hair colours. If they didn't care about Home before, they probably still do not.

Most casual gamers or non-gamers who only use Home are probably not going to pay $50/year for those features if they didn't see much value in PS Plus before now.

I think that Home users who were already subscribers deserve some perks and will enjoy these features. Besides recognising these users, I don't see how this strategy does much for Sony in the end. They could make a lot more money and satisfy many more customers by giving the features to Plus members and offering to sell them to everyone else. I don't think that the features need to be free to everyone necessarily but they should at least be available to everyone, including people who don't otherwise benefit from a Plus subscription.

castle3
Message 163 of 199 (183 Views)
Welcoming Committee
3752 posts

Jan 24, 2013

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

Theoretically, you're right but here's the rub.

Hard-core gamers who subscribe to Plus are not likely to start using Home because they have more wardrobe save slots, pop-up colours and customisable hair colours. If they didn't care about Home before, they probably still do not.

Most casual gamers or non-gamers who only use Home are probably not going to pay $50/year for those features if they didn't see much value in PS Plus before now.

I think that Home users who were already subscribers deserve some perks and will enjoy these features. Besides recognising these users, I don't see how this strategy does much for Sony in the end. They could make a lot more money and satisfy many more customers by giving the features to Plus members and offering to sell them to everyone else. I don't think that the features need to be free to everyone necessarily but they should at least be available to everyone, including people who don't otherwise benefit from a Plus subscription.

I totally agree with you, but Sony obviously doesnt see it that way.  If they were smart they would do what you suggested and sell the feature to whomever wants it thus making it available to everyone and making revenue in the process.

Contrary Serperior Now Available for U.S.
Quod dignum sit facere, dignum est farcere bene
#Live the game
Message 164 of 199 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Jan 24, 2013

TSUNADE1224 wrote:
 If they (Sony) were smart they would do what you suggested ...

That's a big "if" from what I've seen Smiley Wink

castle3
Message 165 of 199 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
29264 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread. Wish I felt the management team would take them to heart. Personally I'm of the view that core should be free for all. There are other ways to reward plus members and discounts has been suggested more than once in this thread.

Will anything come of the discussion. I'm not very optimistic personally judging from past discussions on other issues related to perks and loyalty programs that this will change.

Message 166 of 199 (155 Views)
PlayStation MVP
33682 posts

Jan 24, 2013

oh wow. i dont post for a day, come back and find 8 whole pages of angry added to this topic. Smiley Very Happy

Message 167 of 199 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29264 posts

Jan 24, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

oh wow. i dont post for a day, come back and find 8 whole pages of angry added to this topic. Smiley Very Happy

Oh we missed you. You're such a PLUS to the discussion here! Smiley Wink

Message 168 of 199 (122 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Personally I'm of the view that core should be free for all. There are other ways to reward plus members and discounts has been suggested more than once in this thread.

Core, by whose definition though? I suppose Sony could reasonably argue that these are premium features beyond the standard core platform. Home is their platform so I guess we have to follow their definition. I'm not even getting into that discussion any further.

I'd love them to be free as much as anyone else. Presumably, Sony has defined them as premium upgrades, I just don't see how making them Plus-exclusives is very sensible from marketing, financial or public relations perspectives.

castle3
Message 169 of 199 (110 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33682 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

Oh we missed you. You're such a PLUS to the discussion here! Smiley Wink

a pun and a possible insult, huzza! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Tongue

Message 170 of 199 (104 Views)