MVP Support
9161 posts

Re: PS+ Locked Features Are An Insult

Jan 24, 2013

I got Playstation Plus last year for all of the games they give plus i have a Vita so i also get free games for the handheld not only they give tons of games each year but they also give avatars,themes etc this feature of adding more colors is and slots is a welcome feature for me.

KANE-FIRE

Message 121 of 199 (249 Views)
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jan 24, 2013

I think it's funny that they've managed to fool PS+ people into thinking they're getting more outfit save slots than we have now. We currently have unlimited slots in groups of 24.  This update is capping the number of slots to 24 and 48. You PS+ users will be paying for less save slots not more.

Message 122 of 199 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

Mister_Squidgy wrote:

I think it's funny that they've managed to fool PS+ people into thinking they're getting more outfit save slots than we have now. We currently have unlimited slots in groups of 24.  This update is capping the number of slots to 24 and 48. You PS+ users will be paying for less save slots not more.

I have no clue what you are talking about. I have 24 slots. If you'te talking about using multiple script/character files currently to save additional slots well that is going away. I suspect there are very few people who will load a script file in order to access addition outfit saves but I could be wrong. 

Fact of the matter is 48 slots will probably take forever to load. Unless they've also improved the preview of outfits hidden in that save slot the additional slots will be almost useless as you will have to load the outfit to try and remember what was saved there. That feature needs to be improved and I don't think that is part of this core update at least.

If they do improve that feature I would hope that would apply to both plus and non plus users. 

The 24 slots now don't really work all that well although they are certainly better than the 9 (if I remember correctly) we started with. 

Message 123 of 199 (238 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Full disclosure: I am a Plus member. So regardless of what happens in the next week or the future I will have these perks. And yes, I can see both sides of the issue.

On one side, Home and its management have seen fit to accommodate the many requests of users who wanted specialized Plus content on Home exclusively for Plus members. Granted, they may not have specifically recommended what amounts to basic features (if I recall correctly, many wanted an exclusive public lounge like EU had). Regardless, those that wanted to build the monster got the monster.

That being said, let’s look at this from another perspective: suppose instead of additional hair and makeup colors, Plus members were given, say, 200 furniture item slots per space while non-Plus members remain at 100. I’m not meaning to start another controversy here; I’m just trying to make a point.

I am not at all against the notion of giving Plus members extra benefits in Home. It goes with the philosophy and mission of PS Plus and I would be happy with it even if I did not become a member. That being said, I think there are ways to implement these benefits so that it doesn’t alienate (for want of a better word) other loyal Home users, some of which do not have the desire or even the means to pay the extra cash for the privilege of Plus.

I strongly disagree with making the enhanced makeup and hair options a Plus-exclusive. More pop-up colors, extra avatar save slots, plus icon on our name indicator? That’s all fine. And since much of the mission of Plus is to offer early access and discounts, why not make “Freemium” games totally free for Plus members (could have done that with Xi and I guarantee Plus subscriptions would have increased). Give Plus members early access to personal spaces. Give them discounts on certain items and bundles. All these things are done on the basic PSN platform and there’s no reason not to carry the same strategy to Home. And I’m sure most everyone will be happy with or, or at least to the point where they can live with it.

But by giving Plus users expanded abilities to physically change their avatars at the expense of others who won’t (or can’t) access Plus, regardless of reason, seems to create a unnecessary sort of class conflict reminiscent of steerage passengers on cruise ships. If you can’t see that, don’t worry: you will in about a week.

I understand this announcement likely won’t be reversed at least not at the moment, so here’s a suggestion: make the hair/makeup color carousel a *temporary* Plus-exclusive, to be released to all users after a period of 1-2 months. Put in discounts to appease those Plus users who might scoff at the notion of losing a Plus benefit (although I suspect many reasonable Plus users won’t mind). Failing that option, make it a one-time purchasable option for users at a reasonable price. I’m sure many would pay $5.99, maybe even $7.99 if they knew it would be part of their options forever.

Its one thing to initiate pay-to-play; we all know developers have to put food on the table and keep a roof over their families’ heads. But there is nothing to be gained by making Home users feel slighted at the expense of promoting a premium service that covers all aspects of PSN, not just Home. Its not good business as it may end up hurting both services in the end.

I’m getting off my soapbox now. Happy Home-ing all.
Photobucket
Message 124 of 199 (293 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Jan 24, 2013

What amazes me is that there are people who will spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on Home, but they won't pay a measly $50 for Plus. It provides $2-300 of free games every year, cloud storage, automatic updates, 50-90% discounts during sales, beta access, free themes/avatars/DLC, x7 access, and exclusive Home items.

Even then, it's only extra hair colors and wardrobe slots. Have a little perspective.

Mister_Squidgy wrote:

We aren't "paying for wardrobe slots." They're just a bonus for having a subscription. Plus pays for itself multiple times over.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 125 of 199 (261 Views)
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Jan 24, 2013
I see what you’re saying Stardust, but you missed my point. You’re making the mistake that a lot of people make and that is you’re assuming that all PS3/Home users are one and the same.

I know quite a few friends who go on Home a lot and spend very liberally on items, but they do not play any games at all. They use their systems for Home and maybe to watch Netflix/BluRays and that’s it. And there are more of these types of people that you may realize. It would be ludicrous for me to suggest they pay $50/yr for Plus if they are not going to access 95% of the program’s benefits.

Another friend I know does go on Home and plays games, but uses her husband’s account (which has Plus) to play games (and I suppose if she wanted to, could play those games on her account). She told me she has no need to pay an extra $50 for her account to have the added Home benefits, no matter how appealing she may find them.

And I have other friends who simply can’t afford to pay $50/yr for such perks.

We don’t need to be beaten over the head with a sales pitch of Plus, at least not on the Home forums. If anyone wants to know more about Plus they can go to the Plus forum or even click on the icon on the PS Store. It’s not that obscure a thing. What we need to do is to respect people’s sensitivities on the matter and let them air any grievances in a respectful and courteous way.
Photobucket
Message 126 of 199 (245 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Pardon me, Miss Ann, that was directed to all the Chicken Littles in this thread. Your response wasn't up when I clicked the reply button.

Hair colors and wardrobe slots. Big deal.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 127 of 199 (218 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Sorry Stardust. The exceedingly frigid temperatures have short-circuited my snarcasm detector. Please forgive and carry on. Smiley Happy
Photobucket
Message 128 of 199 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Mister_Squidgy wrote:

I have no clue what you are talking about. I have 24 slots. If you'te talking about using multiple script/character files currently to save additional slots well that is going away.

It's done pretty much the same way you swap out personal space layouts.  All you do is swap out the Character settings file for another 24 slots. That's why I said we currently can have unlimited slots in groups of 24.  This update will remove this ability thus capping the amount of save slots to 24(or 48) only instead of the multiple groups of 24 we can have now.

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

I suspect there are very few people who will load a script file in order to access addition outfit saves but I could be wrong. 

I know a few users who do. In fact one of them keeps their Holiday outfit setups on a separate save.
Message 129 of 199 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Jan 24, 2013

StardustChampion wrote:

Pardon me, Miss Ann, that was directed to all the Chicken Littles in this thread. Your response wasn't up when I clicked the reply button.

Hair colors and wardrobe slots. Big deal.

Exactly her point Stardust, if its not a big deal why not make is available to all and not to some.  This is my first comment on this thread and I see both sides of the coin.  I for one don't really care for more makeup or hair color, but that doesn't mean I don't agree that others that do want it should have that option and instead give + members discounts like they do in the store on home items.  Seems very logical to me if they did it that way, instead they continue to **bleep** off or **bleep** on the little guy.  Eventually, only plus members will have access to home just like xbox requires you to pay a membership, but I truly hope I am wrong about this.

Message 130 of 199 (189 Views)