Highlighted
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Re: PS+ Locked Features Are An Insult

Jan 23, 2013

We can probably trace this decision to add more benefits for Plus subscribers back to the release of the PS3. Its a well known fact that Sony (and another well known console manufacturer) sold the consoles for less than it cost to make them. 

Since the time of the PS3 release Sony Corporation has lost billions of dollars. All of those losses aren't due to their Playstation strategy, but from all indications in the press recently Sony is determined to show a profit this year.

Another major console manufacturer charges anyone that wants to game online $60 a year. I don't see the push for Plus subscriptions to be much different, and we do have a choice as to whether we subscribe to Plus.

I'm happy to see them moving away from perks for Mansion and Gold Suit owners. Now if they just give Plus subscribers the ability to trample trolls with our new horses I'll be first in line to sign up. Smiley Happy

Message 51 of 199 (386 Views)
Sackboy
421 posts

Jan 23, 2013

What they need to do is give everyone the option to buy the extra hair colors, save slots, etc. without having to be a PS+ subscriber. Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 199 (359 Views)
Uncharted Territory
694 posts

Jan 23, 2013
Why should you have to pay for something so basic?
Message 53 of 199 (325 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Jan 24, 2013

julie_love wrote:

We can probably trace this decision to add more benefits for Plus subscribers back to the release of the PS3. Its a well known fact that Sony (and another well known console manufacturer) sold the consoles for less than it cost to make them. 

Since the time of the PS3 release Sony Corporation has lost billions of dollars. All of those losses aren't due to their Playstation strategy, but from all indications in the press recently Sony is determined to show a profit this year.

Another major console manufacturer charges anyone that wants to game online $60 a year. I don't see the push for Plus subscriptions to be much different, and we do have a choice as to whether we subscribe to Plus.

I'm happy to see them moving away from perks for Mansion and Gold Suit owners. Now if they just give Plus subscribers the ability to trample trolls with our new horses I'll be first in line to sign up. Smiley Happy

It would be interesting to note how much money was lost from Sony pictures (their movie division), The Sony Rovi (which Sony recently pulled support from), Vita (which was a financial flop), and Sony's game division which posted an operating loss of ¥3.5 billion ($45 million) for the company's first quarter that ended June 30, 2010. Revenue for the period took a 14.5 percent hit, dropping to ¥118 billion ($1.5 billion). Sony said this downturn was a result of lower sales of hardware and software for the PSP and PlayStation 3, as well as the impact of "unfavorable" foreign exchange rates, compared to a year ago prior.

What I question is if Home is now being recognized as Sony's golden goose and the community are slowly making up quarterly losses from the past.

Either way it goes I have PS +, and the color wheel and extra FAM slots will never get used by me at all, so I have no feelings on it one way or another. But I do expect to see Sony raising their prices for Plus membership before the end of the year.

Message 54 of 199 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

LittleTortuga wrote:

No one has to pay for it if they choose not to. The patch also included the ability to change in friends apartments. That's a feature everyone will appreciate I think. 

Message 55 of 199 (287 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

Nice to see the community fighting over what should be and should not be paid for or included when it comes to core features now. How times have changed. 

Just wonderful. It's been a very interesting week. Sadly for some quite depressing actually. 

Message 56 of 199 (281 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
16264 posts

Jan 24, 2013

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

julie_love wrote:

It would be interesting to note how much money was lost from Sony pictures (their movie division), The Sony Rovi (which Sony recently pulled support from), Vita (which was a financial flop), and Sony's game division which posted an operating loss of ¥3.5 billion ($45 million) for the company's first quarter that ended June 30, 2010. Revenue for the period took a 14.5 percent hit, dropping to ¥118 billion ($1.5 billion). Sony said this downturn was a result of lower sales of hardware and software for the PSP and PlayStation 3, as well as the impact of "unfavorable" foreign exchange rates, compared to a year ago prior.

What I question is if Home is now being recognized as Sony's golden goose and the community are slowly making up quarterly losses from the past.

Either way it goes I have PS +, and the color wheel and extra FAM slots will never get used by me at all, so I have no feelings on it one way or another. But I do expect to see Sony raising their prices for Plus membership before the end of the year.

theres no money in home, why else would the major publishers walk away from it, and tiny mom n pop devs keep going on with it? even with 1 million users spending $100 a year (and that money has to be split up between dev/owner and sorny) thats a measly $100 million which sorny gets a portion of.

Message 57 of 199 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Jan 24, 2013

I don't think the fact that it's a core feature really changes anything in my opinion. Nobody would be complaining if Sony released all this stuff as items in Threads, because we have come to expect paying for bonuses for our account.

Sure, it would be nice to change to any hair colour, but I don't think Sony's obligated to give it to us just because we asked for it once upon a time. Home is a business. You're not obligated to pay for anything if you don't want to.

The only thing I can think of that would be taking it to far is if they started charging to actually use Home. That's the only line that I can draw here.

Message 58 of 199 (262 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Jan 24, 2013

harley7 wrote:

theres no money in home, why else would the major publishers walk away from it, and tiny mom n pop devs keep going on with it? even with 1 million users spending $100 a year (and that money has to be split up between dev/owner and sorny) thats a measly $100 million which sorny gets a portion of.

Interesting to note.

Quite a few of the "major" developers have indeed left (the NA servers at least) or rather chose not to renew their contracts.

Yet Audi seems to be doing fine in EU.

Also since there are no clear numbers released it appears that the smaller devs are doing ok (or at least treading water).

Perhaps its because the larger outfits had larger budgets that never brought back the initial investments. And the smaller groups are using the start small and slow approach. Juggernaut is winning based on that business model with fair pricing, constant content, and a hands on approach support wise.

Message 59 of 199 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
421 posts

Jan 24, 2013

LittleTortuga wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all those features for free. Everyone would. But it's very clear Sony isn't going to give them away for free, so the next best thing would be to provide users the option to buy them from the Home store without having to be subscribed to PS+. I think this is a very good indication that extra furniture layouts and possibly even better wardrobe management (I hope not) will end up costing us money.

Message 60 of 199 (201 Views)