Apr 10 2014
By: RockCandyGirl Uncharted Territory 1232 posts

PS Home and Religious Celebrations

22 replies 363 views Edited Apr 10, 2014

Christmas, Easter, Halloween..?

Why is it that we find all sorts of Christain traditional holiday celebrations on PS Home, But I fail to see any reference to ..let's say for example... Islamic, Judaism, Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Native American or any other form of reconized organised religion?? I guess majority wins? is that right?

Just asking...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 23 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

Re: PS Home and Religious Celebrations

Apr 10, 2014

Others will get offended!!  My guess. 

Message 2 of 23 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Apr 10, 2014

From a business stand point there are monie$ to be had on National Holiday celebrations. I think they just go with the popular ones myself but that's just me. of course anyone can have their own celebrations if they want. We just missed national Pillow fight day. That could of been fun.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 3 of 23 (344 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1232 posts

Apr 10, 2014

The other bigger question is..if i was an Atheous would Home even exsist???   lol

Message 4 of 23 (332 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5754 posts

Apr 10, 2014
1) There have been a small number of Jewish, Native American, Buddhist, Festivus and Kwanza items. If you'd like to see more, use the official monthly suggestion threads and contact individual devs. Encourage your friends of other faiths to do the same. If devs know there's a market for something, they're more likely to make it.
2) Halloween is pagan. Most of the symbolism shown in Easter and Christmas items are VERY pagan and mostly deal with the themes of Winter and Spring, with the exception of 1 nativity set and a few angels. I don't recall ever seeing Jesus on the cross in PS Home, and I doubt I will anytime soon. Items in PS Home aren't usually overtly religious.

Personally, I'd like to see more global cultures represented on Home, and since religion is a big part of many cultures, I wouldn't mind that either. I would hope most of the people on Home would welcome it too, or at least be respectful and tolerant. Although, the bottom line is that Home is a business; let the developers know that something will sell and they will make it.

Message 5 of 23 (321 Views)
Fender Bender
2760 posts

Apr 10, 2014

The holiday times may be religous based, but there is certainly no religion in the Home Events. It is of note, that many of the world"s different religions have significant events at the same time of the year.

Posted Image

Message 6 of 23 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1232 posts

Apr 10, 2014

ITCOB1 wrote:

The holiday times may be religous based, but there is certainly no religion in the Home Events. It is of note, that many of the world"s different religions have significant events at the same time of the year.

I don't ever recall Budda jumping around handing out spring eggs..?

Message 7 of 23 (302 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Apr 10, 2014

StephieRawks wrote:
1) There have been a small number of Jewish, Native American, Buddhist, Festivus and Kwanza items. If you'd like to see more, use the official monthly suggestion threads and contact individual devs. Encourage your friends of other faiths to do the same. If devs know there's a market for something, they're more likely to make it.
2) Halloween is pagan. Most of the symbolism shown in Easter and Christmas items are VERY pagan and mostly deal with the themes of Winter and Spring, with the exception of 1 nativity set and a few angels. I don't recall ever seeing Jesus on the cross in PS Home, and I doubt I will anytime soon. Items in PS Home aren't usually overtly religious.

Personally, I'd like to see more global cultures represented on Home, and since religion is a big part of many cultures, I wouldn't mind that either. I would hope most of the people on Home would welcome it too, or at least be respectful and tolerant. Although, the bottom line is that Home is a business; let the developers know that something will sell and they will make it.

looking into Christmas themed items alone online would surprise those when finding their meanings as would Easter items. beyond that how commercialized are they and yeah, I don't really care for them. but I really love EGGNOG! WRAR!

HomeStationMagazine
Message 8 of 23 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2760 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2014

RockCandyGirl wrote:

ITCOB1 wrote:

I don't ever recall Budda jumping around handing out spring eggs..?

The Bunny Rabbit is NOT a religous figure, and has nothing to do with religion. If anything, the rabbit is a pagan fertility symbol.

I think most of these holiday events have become more about commercial exploitation than religon.

What holidays would you like to see added to Home?

Posted Image

Message 9 of 23 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2038 posts

Apr 10, 2014

RockCandyGirl wrote:

Christmas, Easter, Halloween..?

Why is it that we find all sorts of Christain traditional holiday celebrations on PS Home, But I fail to see any reference to ..let's say for example... Islamic, Judaism, Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Native American or any other form of reconized organised religion?? I guess majority wins? is that right?

Just asking...

The reason for this is most likely because this is a platform based for North America and a lot of the developers who create these said events are either American, Canadian or from the UK.

So we don't see many diverse cultural events as often as we would like here. Developers are more likely to create events that apply to everyone, though it would be nice to see something unique every once in a while.

Message 10 of 23 (260 Views)