Sep 20 2012
By: NorseGamer Uncharted Territory 1187 posts

(PRIZES) PlayStation Home community writing contest

14 replies 665 views Edited Sep 20, 2012

scribe2.jpgSony Computer Entertainment America LLC is not responsible for this promotion.

Do you have a passion for PlayStation Home?

Want to write about Home, and compete for prizes?

Then check out the latest Home community writing contest, sponsored and administered by HomeStation Magazine, in which three guest contributors will win $20 PSN cards -- and, what's more, there's also a $50 PSN card up for grabs!

Want to see what it's all about, and how to enter? Then click here:

http://www.hsmagazine.net/2012/09/homestation-announces-a-new-writing-contest/

We look forward to publishing your work at the HomeStation!

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

About HomeStation Magazine: founded in October 2010, HSM is considered Home's literary journal nonpareil, specializing in long-form journalism examining Home from a sociological perspective. An all-volunteer community publication with a current circulation of more than 70,000 unique readers annually, HomeStation is a pro-Sony and pro-Home platform for high-quality writing, artistry and machinima.

issue9cover.jpgissue10cover.jpg  issue11cover.jpg

Message 1 of 15 (665 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Re: (PRIZES) PlayStation Home community writing contest

Sep 20, 2012

StardustChampion wrote:

Excuse me, but by whom...you?

I apologize in advance for ruffling anyone's feathers, but I've never seen an article on this website that would be accepted by a literary journal. Even your pieces turn into verbose, unctuous screeds. It's gauche onanism when the "Editor in Chief" is in dire need of an editor.

This contest may at first appear generous, but I think you should be honest with yourself: this website is a blog--and a fairly bad one at that. Throwing video game money at the poor quality of submissions will only encourage incompetent writing.

Sorry you feel that way; feel free to contribute to the contest if you so wish, and thanks for reading HSM! Smiley Happy

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 2 of 15 (602 Views)
VP of Gaming
28891 posts

Sep 20, 2012

StardustChampion wrote:

Seriously, name one person besides yourself who considers it a "literary journal."

I do. I read it and I enjoy doing so. I find it entertaining and informative.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 3 of 15 (450 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Sep 20, 2012

I have had articles published in many magazines and also in one publication I consider to be a professional journal.  As an author of non-fiction, writing magazine articles was an avocation which, much to my delight, also brought in money.  The magazine articles were aimed at a broad spectrum of readers, not a specific segment of the population.  And, thus, the writing level had to be kept to 8th grade reading comprehension.  At least that is what the editors would tell me when I would attempt to sneak in a word like 'onanism'.

The professional journal I wrote for was The Cornell Quarterly.  I refer to it as such because the articles that appear in there have to be researched, have to be aimed at a closely definined readership, and have to be at 12th grade reading comprehension level.

That said, stardust has a point:  not all of the articles that appear in HSM (including some of mine) are at literary journal level.  Most are by enthusiastic new writers who are learning as they go.    Some, however -  particularly some of the interviews appearing in the HSM Magazine issues -  are as good if not better than some I have seen in other internet publications. 

Stardust, however, is missing the real point:  HSM is there for everyone in Home to read, not just a narrowly targeted audience.   If the words 'literary journal' are so aggravating to you, then that's your constructive criticism.   If you want to priove your point, however, take the challenge and write something of your own.  Or, better yet, start a literary journal of your own in Home and see if anyone will read it.

Message 4 of 15 (436 Views)
Fender Bender
2706 posts

Sep 20, 2012

A post discourse opined in revelation of HSN magazine whatever that means.

I enjoy some of the articles.

Ain't much chance I'll submit an article/story which I said in a reply in the article re the contest in the magazine itself. My reply was a story in itself.

Disclaimer (sort of): I did win one of the PSN cards for a poetry contest by said magazine which I wrote off the cuff. (It was actually a song.)

I don't read the magazine pdf version because it's too difficult for me to read the print. 

Carry on, learn,  have fun and opine away yay yay yay. 

In memory of Jody Westover and all those who fight or have fought cancer

Message 5 of 15 (419 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4145 posts

Sep 20, 2012

This thread has been cleaned up. Please keep it on topic. Robot Happy

space_cape!!

Message 6 of 15 (392 Views)
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Sep 20, 2012
Wow are you kidding me, that was enough to warrant a removal of posts!? And I thought the EU mods were bad! So much for Land of Free Speech eh, carry on! LOL!
Message 7 of 15 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Sep 20, 2012

Considering what passes for mainstream "literary journalism" in the world today (whatever you interpret that to mean), I wouldn't be so critical of HSM. I think the publication provides what it claims to provide, nothing more, nothing less. And like any publication the opinions vary from reader to reader. I happen to like reading it on occasion. And considering that the subject matter focuses on an online service in which 70% to 90% of the members I encounter appear to be brain dead, HSM more than adequately serves it's purpose.

It's been a while since I gave my writing skills a challenge. I may just try this contest. Woman Happy

Message 8 of 15 (278 Views)
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Sep 20, 2012

KrazyFace-USA wrote:
Wow are you kidding me, that was enough to warrant a removal of posts!? And I thought the EU mods were bad! So much for Land of Free Speech eh, carry on! LOL!

A post only needs to be off-topic to be removed. And the first amendment applies to the US congress... Not Sony.

Message 9 of 15 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Sep 23, 2012

I see there are a lot of talented writers right here on the forums and it would be great to see your names in "print" in HSMag. Even if you don't need the PSN card, here's a chance to show case your talent. I know you have it.

Message 10 of 15 (173 Views)
0 Likes