Gaming Beast
1961 posts

Re: [POLL Feedback Thread] LOOT Active Radios

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

The radio doesn't play at times for certain people.  Until it is fixed, I don't think I can ever buy it.

sword-art-online
Message 31 of 52 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

KrazyFace-USA wrote:
The other stations have been removed from those TVs Shinra. I got the free one to check if it'd work for me (I don't live in US or Canada) and it was fine! So, I dropped $15 on the bundle (really like that jukebox) and guess what?

Yeah, NONE of them work. Kinda weird I'd say, that the free radio you can CHECK with is the ONLY one that works. Guess this means I don't have a leg to stand on for getting a refund too then.

Meh. That's life eh! My only question left now then is; WHY does the free one work (and the only channel we're left with from Loot's spaces) but none of the rest!?

I thought I read that they were region locked Krazy. I know that you have a US acct as well, but I do know that when friends of mine from Eu used to visit my Hollywood Hills space, they wouldn't be able to see the screen or hear the music. It's odd though that free one still plays for you. I'm not quite sure how that works.

Message 32 of 52 (274 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Dec 8, 2012
I love them. My only suggestion would be to add an option to lock controlling to owner in case you want it to stay on a certain station for a certain amount of time.
Message 33 of 52 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Dec 8, 2012
That's the thing myalana, my TVs in US have always worked just fine. And the radio stations that were on there before they were removed, which is kinda why I was so quick in thinking if the free one worked, the rest surely would. I don't get it either...
Message 34 of 52 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Dec 8, 2012
I really like the radios. I use them in every space( except the
hollywood house and yacht, both still have radioio on the tvs)
Message 35 of 52 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3859 posts

Dec 8, 2012
:^) We like the free one, and are thinking of getting others. I identify with the reel-to-reel version, and the largest of the others, and of course the jukebox looks amazing. So we'll probably get the bundle.

As for the proximity issue, Loot explained in the other thread that it was a limitation of their Home development software, and that a core update would be necessary before the radios could be updated.
Message 36 of 52 (246 Views)
I Only Post Everything
823 posts

Dec 8, 2012

@KarazyFace  My EODs in my LOOt Space Apt still has all the music stations along ith all the movies. I am not sure they you are not getting all the music stations on yours. You should be. You might want to contact LOOT about your issue.

Message 37 of 52 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3346 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 9, 2012

REVIEW: LOOT Active Radio Bundle
By ck2875

LOOT Entertainment has long offered an in-Home radio experience through their EOD-equipped apartment spaces and this week saw the long-awaited release of LOOT’s portable active radios. While the price may be a bit high for intangible goods, these are top quality Home items that deserve the premium price tags you will find attached. The design of the individual radios are quite nice and offer something for everyone, and the selection of radio content (at least in the US) [your experience will vary by country] is quite vast.

Pricing
The cost of the Loot Radios was a deeply debated topic when originally announced as $9.99/radio or $19.99 for the complete bundle, and even after release despite the reduction in price to $6.99/radio ($8.99 for the Reel-to-Reel) or $14.99 for the complete bundle. While I would agree that $15 is a bit much to pay for anything in home, some of these individual items encapsulate what I consider the some of the best designs I’ve seen in Home.

Does great design mean that you can command a higher price point? You would think so, and here you’re getting far more for your money than purchasing tokens for a freemium game, as you won’t be left continually forking over cash to have your fun. If you’re someone who spends a lot of time at your personal spaces with friends (or even if you spend time alone with your hoard of rewards), then these radios are a good investment that will provide tons of long-term value.

At essentially $7 per radio device, the question quickly becomes whether one should just get the one radio he or she likes the best or should they pick up the bundle. I would honestly recommend picking up the bundle and being done with it, as you’ll likely want the Jukebox--a bundle exclusive-- once you see it in person. There are definitely some throw away pieces in the bundle that will likely never see the light of day in your personal space (i.e. The pink ones went directly into my storage), but there are some great pieces as well. I definitely experienced a little buyer’s remorse when sending some of the items to storage, but with the high individual prices, you are probably better off buying the bundle than buying piecemeal radios if there are more than one that you want. Personally, I justified the purchase of the bundle with the rationale that the Jukebox is easily worth the price of the Reel-to-Reel, and those two were really the only two radios I was interested in. Conversely, if you’re wanting to be money conscious and don’t care about the setting for your music, you might want to consider buying one of the two LOOT’s EOD personal spaces available for $4.99.

Although I view the bundle as being worth the price, and bundling content is nothing new to Home, it shouldn’t come at the cost of holding one of the most wanted designs--the Jukebox-- hostage. Silently forcing one’s hand towards the more expensive bundle is great for the developer’s business, yet giving the consumers the option to buy everything individually goes a long way towards perceptive goodwill. While it is claimed that the Jukebox is a free bonus for buying the bundle, I cannot subscribe to any illusion that claims I didn’t actually pay for it with my $15.

Design
Each radio requires 16 slots, regardless of whether it is animated or not. This is an improvement over the LOOT Televisions, but still far from what most people would consider ideal. However, LOOT is very good at optimizing their content and I feel confident that this was the smallest footprint their team could make.

As I previously mentioned some of the radios here are more deserving of a design reward than others. The standout pieces are the Jukebox and the Reel-to-Reel radio, as they are animated quite nicely. When you turn on the Reel-to-Reel, the reels begin to spin as if it were playing the music from the ribbons. With the Jukebox, it is lit up like an actual jukebox (the yellow really shines when placed inside darker spaces), while within the glass enclosure, a record spins.

Every radio has a small screen that is revealed through an unique animation for each device, respectively. For example, the Minibox has the lid flip up to reveal a screen, the Boomboxes have displays tilt out of the top of them, and the Jukebox has the song selection area slide apart to reveal a screen. It’s all very well done.

Most of the other radios--the minibox, the pink jambox, the boombox, the giant boombox, the hi fi, and the modern hi fi (despite its name)-- all appear to be appliances that you would expect to find in the 1980s and 1990s, and nothing I would dare own today. I suppose that is what Storage is for, yet it makes the pang of the $15 investment a little more harsh than I would like. I am honestly surprised there isn’t an MP3 player dock speaker that utilizes a MP3 device’s screen as the display for the radio (though that might lead some people to expect to play their own music, so perhaps it’s best left to my imagination). The Reel-to-Reel and Jukebox are just retro-cool enough to make me think, “These are pretty sweet,” and while preference in design comes down to one’s subjective taste, my favorite radio is the ‘Reel-to-Reel’ design. It looks interesting enough as a decoration within your personal space regardless of whether it plays music, the spinning reels and the attention to detail make it entirely worth the extra cost. It is likely one of the radios that LOOT is most proud of making.

Radio Content
There is nothing to be had here that cannot be found on the internet through the plethora of music streaming services. In fact, the content heard on the LOOT radios is provided by radio.io (radioio.com) and can be streamed for free from their website. Unlike the Radioio website, you cannot login or subscribe to a premium account, and you’ll be stuck listening to the occasional advertisement, and honestly, there isn’t a quicker way to kill a party than sponsored ads.

The radio content itself varies by region, but the selection in the US is quite good. We’ve got Rock, Pop, Classical and Jazz, Eclectic Specialty, Acoustic, Country, Christian, and Talk sections, with most specific stations within within each genre. There’s probably something here for everyone (unless you’re a nit-picky hipster with an aversion to the mainstream).

Overall Rating (Bundle): 7.2/10

Value: 6/10 - If you spend a lot of time in your personal space, these are fun and adds a bit of depth to an otherwise silent Home world. You’ll likely be stuck with items you don’t want or like by purchasing the bundle; however, it is substantially cheaper than buying them all individually (as if that somehow justifies the purchase). Additionally, the content can be found online for free and you’re still going to listen to the occasional advertisement.

Design: 7.5/10 - These items look like their real life counterparts. The animated designs of the Jukebox and Reel-to-Reel radios are extremely well done (10/10). The others are only okay (5/10).

Buyer’s Remorse: 2/10 - In hindsight, I would probably have been happier just getting the Reel-to-Reel radio for $9, as it will be my most used version. However, it’s nice having the others in case I ever have the need for them (though I cannot foresee my personal need for a pink jambox).

Message 38 of 52 (215 Views)
Sackboy
407 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 9, 2012

the LOOT radios ROCK!  9.5 out of 10

Message 39 of 52 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
364 posts

Dec 9, 2012

ok, i'm very disatisfied with loot/sony politics, they act like robbers and believe me i never lost an occasion to make them a very bad advertising!

i bought the holliwood hill and space appts for THE INCLUDED FEATURES => EOD and specialy RADIOIO! i give to loot my money and my confient to obtein the product than i BOUGHT, i was very happy to profit of ALL the CHANS of radioio, even if the sound was localised to a small area (it's strange than loot persist to say than it's impossible to change that without a core update while other devs seem not have this issue...)

THEN LOOT DECIDE UNILATERALY to break the contract between them and their customers on the lone goal to make easy $!

WHY DON'T SELL RADIOS AND TV'S? ok but REMOVE ALL CHANS FROM HOLLYWOOD AND SPACE STATION before....

What sort of company can dare such dishonesty?

i paid for features, you decide to remove them without counterpart, u loose more than my confient , more than 1 customer, u just

loose ur REPUTATION...

all things have limits guys, even the cupidity!

Message 40 of 52 (179 Views)
0 Likes