Highlighted
Dec 05 2012
By: GlassWalls PlayStation Community Manager (Retired) 2875 posts

[POLL Feedback Thread] LOOT Active Radios

51 replies 769 views Edited Dec 5, 2012

Here's the official comment thread for the LOOT Active Radios poll. If you're familiar with the content and voted in the official poll, we welcome your additional feedback.

*First, please go vote in the official Poll in Home General at the top right if you are familiar with the content, then leave your comments here. 

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Message 1 of 52 (769 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4699 posts

Re: [POLL Feedback Thread] LOOT Active Radios

Dec 5, 2012
Was nice of them to adjust the price after paying attention to community feedback this week. Only issue I have with it now is the sound only carries if you're a short distance away from the radio. I would like to be able to hear the music from throughout the space if it is possible.
Message 2 of 52 (758 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2012

I agree the sound should have both proximity and full apartment sound options. Many of us do not want to have to sit close to the radio to listen to the music. 

Message 3 of 52 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2692 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Neutral.

I am quite angry and upset that unlike the LOOT Yacht TV set had the 50s 60s station rock music (Elvis picture) is not on the radios except for the Jukebox. Why? It was on the TV sets.  All the stations except one the Billboard Top 100 (today's hits) are removed from the TV and I get that. They want to sell radios.

As to the sound it's the same to me as it was on the Yacht and satisfactory to me.

As to where the sound is heard, there's a limit so like LOOT encourages people to get the free radio (with the Billboard Top 100) I would encourage people to get the free one so people will know how radio placement is in their spaces.

But where is my 50s 60s music?????????????????????????????

I bought them all and wouldn't have 50s 60s music except it's the Jukebox only. The Jukebox is available only in buying them all.  

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 4 of 52 (743 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Dec 6, 2012

:^) I enjoy the free one, and I agree that it's a great way to test the product line out before making a purchase. That the audio fades out as one walks further away is very realistic, and makes the effect more convincing in a large space, but it would be welcome to optionally switch to a full-space mode which would be audible throughout the space.

I like how some of them have speakers built in, so one neededn't deplete one's item count to place speakers, while other radios come without speakers, so the user is able to choose which of his own speakers match the look he wants. It's always good to have options.

:^/ Disappointed to leaarn that only the jukebox has music from the 50's to 60's, but happy to learn that at least one of the units carries that. Perhaps this uniqueness is intended to encourage folks to get the bundle?

Message 5 of 52 (692 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2012

Ok well first I'd like to say hats off to LOOT for listening to the community and revising their pricing for the radio items. It goes without saying that they are as much of the Home community as their fanbase.

When they first announced that the memory usage for the radios would be 22 slots, again LOOT listened and worked hard until they were able to reduce the footprint to a mere 16 slots which was very impressive.

The only two displeasures I think the community actually has is the proximity issue (which LOOT addressed last night) and something that was snuck past us all prior to purchase. Many of our favorite radio stations were removed which had we known in advance may or may not have affected our purchasing descisions.

But all in all I think the 6.99 that I spent on a individual radio was well worth the wait and for the most part I'm happy.

With the exception of the proximity issue (which can be dependant on the personal space I've discovered) I think LOOT did a knock out job.

Now its up to Sony to assume their responsibility and enact some much needed and long overdue core upgardes as well as upgrading the Home Developer Kits. Sony is the reason why the proximity issues exist and are basically inhibiting the growth of its content because of the limitations within the Developers Kit itself

The following is LOOT's official response:

Hey everybody,

We wanted to take this time to provide more information regarding our LOOT™ Radio pricing structure. In our blog on Monday, our Radios were originally going to be priced individually for $9.99 each or as a special 9-piece bundle for $19.99. Time and time again we've said how much we appreciate our community, and we're always listening for feedback - this time is no different. As a thank-you for all of the support you've shown us over the years, we are offering our LOOT Radios now at these prices:

Individual radios for $6.99 (with the exception of our Reel-to-Reel Radio available for $8.99), and our bundle for $14.99.

Also, we're pleased to announce a special 10th radio FREE for present and future LOOT fans who reside in the United States and Canada. Providing real music streaming from RadioIO's Billboard Top 100 channel, users can see and experience the functionality that can be found in all of our LOOT Radios.

Finally, to address the questions about proximity, we hear you all loud and clear (pardon the pun). Allowing music to stream throughout a space regardless of proximity to the source is definitely something we want to give you all, and even though we've been tirelessly working on it it's just not something that's technically feasible at this time. As RadioIO is a service that provides real-time live streaming music, rather than a pre-cached MP3 song, we cannot control the volume range due to the need of dynamic screens. As controlling the range, for dynamic screens, is a feature not available in the Home Development Kit, we unfortunately are unable to make this available at this time. In the event this becomes available in the near future, we will be more than happy to work on it, but until this feature is implemented in the HDK we cannot make any promises.

Thanks again for being a part of our great community, and we hope you and your friends have a blast dancing the night away with our LOOT Radios!

NOTE: Due to contractual and rights agreements, some channels are nation-specific. RadioIO is only available in the United States and Canada. In addition, due to rights issues, countries may not receive the same content selections within the channels. Only one radio or television can be active at a time. The LOOT Radio will work in any private space, unless the space comes with a TV or radio you cannot turn off. 16 slots per Radio.

Message 6 of 52 (681 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2012

Voted very dissatisfied for the fact that the sound does not play throughout the entire apartment. That was the deal breaker for me and I didn't buy them. Otherwise, it would have been an instant day 1 purchase for me regardless of price.

There have been so many advancements in home this year, and the continued use of this kind of primitive technology is unacceptable.

Hellfire's music players, as well as the incredibly simplistic AI BOT from Diesel, are able to play throughout the entire apartment. Why can't something as advanced as this?

Also, why aren't the 50s and 60s also available on the reel to reel one as well as the jukebox? Makes no sense. It's that old, but can play music from the 90s and not the 60s?

EDIT: Just saw LOOT's response in the post above mine, was posted as I was writing. I still find it hard to believe that it's "technically impossible", but if it truly is, then yes, the Home devs needs to make a new core update and adress this, as well as other major problems like apartment storage.

Message 7 of 52 (678 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Dec 6, 2012

It would also be nice to have a default station option so we dont always hassle with finding the station we're most likely to listen to. Since the removal of so many station theres only 1 station I plan to listen to now. They could have left the talk radio out

Message 8 of 52 (668 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
681 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2012

I don't know why people are complaining about the fact the radios do not play throughout the apartment. The ones in the Hollywood Hills house, Loot space station and Loot yacht didn't go throughout the entire space either. They have explained why they cannot provide this feature at this time. They have also said that they would be willing to work on making that feature again when the opportunity becomes available. I haven't bought these yet but I plan to soon. For now I will go to my 3 Loot spaces to listen to the radio.

Edit: Loot is a really great developer. They did a really good job making different style radios for different tastes. They also payed attention to the slot count making these only 16 slots per radio. This is something some other developers tend to forget. So in my own opinion for someone to vote very disatisfied on this is not looking at all of the great things about this bundle.

Message 9 of 52 (656 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2012

Well Loot was kind enough to explain to the community that proximity sound was the only option at the moment. They did not exclude the possibility of updating the radio's in the future if the Home application becomes capable of allowing that feature.

Let's hope a core update will address that at some point along with lots of other pressing things the community would like to see. Personally I'm not in the market for the radio's at the moment. There is simply just too much content and maybe I'll get lucky and win a bundle on twitter... hint hint Loot!

Smiley Happy

If things slow down in the New Year I'll be looking at the bundle given I really do like the juke box and when i'm in personal spaces I often mutlitask on my computer and am sitting in a lounger or what not so I can live with the proximity sound for now.

Message 10 of 52 (650 Views)