Fender Bender
3346 posts

Re: [POLL Feedback Thread] Espionage 9 Arcade Cabinet

Jan 31, 2013

jimmynet wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

I know I'm in a very small minority, but I see no issue with guests not getting the rewards from the cabinet, as they didn't pay for the cabinet itself. If they cabinet required them to use their free weekly ticket to play, then sure, give them the reward, but it doesn't. nDreams is a business (shocker), and while you can play for free and get all the rewards if you wait a minimum of 20 weeks, it would absolutely kill their business model for Espionage 9 to offer the rewards to anyone and everyone who visits a buyer's apartment or clubhouse. Who would purchase tickets at $2.99 for 15 or 35 for $4.99 if they could simply ask around to find it for free? At least now there is an option to pay $3.49 for unlimited plays for you and your guests, so you can enjoy the game as much as you want without both parties having to continually pay for tickets. 

I highly doubt offering rewards to guests on some games that are purchased is going to put any dev out of business on Home.. Think about it, the work is done its not like someone is making individual products/rewards each time it goes to the consumer... They made the original once and basically its a Xerox copy after that..

Isn't that the same justification people try use for digital piracy?

Message 21 of 31 (330 Views)
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

ck2875 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

I know I'm in a very small minority, but I see no issue with guests not getting the rewards from the cabinet, as they didn't pay for the cabinet itself. If they cabinet required them to use their free weekly ticket to play, then sure, give them the reward, but it doesn't. nDreams is a business (shocker), and while you can play for free and get all the rewards if you wait a minimum of 20 weeks, it would absolutely kill their business model for Espionage 9 to offer the rewards to anyone and everyone who visits a buyer's apartment or clubhouse. Who would purchase tickets at $2.99 for 15 or 35 for $4.99 if they could simply ask around to find it for free? At least now there is an option to pay $3.49 for unlimited plays for you and your guests, so you can enjoy the game as much as you want without both parties having to continually pay for tickets. 

I highly doubt offering rewards to guests on some games that are purchased is going to put any dev out of business on Home.. Think about it, the work is done its not like someone is making individual products/rewards each time it goes to the consumer... They made the original once and basically its a Xerox copy after that..

I wouldn't know but we aren't talking about digital piracy now are we.. Which is kinda off the TOPIC..

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 22 of 31 (323 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28880 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Personally, I enjoy playing Espionage 9. Especially when playing against another human being. I wish more of our arcade games were like that. I voted "Satisfied".

I have a suggestion. How about arcade cabinets that have two line-ups of prizes? One set of prizes for the owner of the cabinet and one set for their guests. The owner cannot collect the guest prizes unless they are a guest at someone else's personal space or clubhouse.

I think that this could encourage the sale of such cabinets and help with our social interactivity. If it can be done,it might be appreciated.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 23 of 31 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3346 posts

Jan 31, 2013

jimmynet wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

I wouldn't know but we aren't talking about digital piracy now are we..

No, we aren't talking about digital piracy at all, but you still used the same justification based on failed logic that most people use when they pirate goods, even if you aren't knowledgeable on the subject-- Mainly that digital goods = unlimited copies = each loss of an intangible good doesn't have a real world, tangible effect on the content creator's bottom line.

Overall, the general view seems to be that games on Home are only as good as the rewards that game hands out. People say repeatedly that there is no point in playing a game after they have obtained all the rewards, as if there is no entertainment value in gameplay itself, or in having fun with friends. If developers hand out the one thing that people want to guests, without those individuals having to either 1.) pay, or 2.) wait the 20 weeks for free tickets each week, it will have some (perhaps nominal) effect on the developer. In my experience, people are impatient. If I had had the option to buy the cabinet when I first started playing Espionage, I would have simply because I hate to wait. However, I wasn't willing to buy consumables to do so. If I were presented with the option to get all the rewards for free simply by going to a friend's place? Definitely, and in that scenario I'm definitely not buying the cabinet either. Take out that option and allow me to pay $3.49 for unlimited plays and ability to get the rewards? Probably going to go with that over waiting.

Ultimately, I like the free guest rewards as much as the next person, but I really can't blame any developer for wanting to make consumers pay for the one thing they seem to care about.

Message 24 of 31 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Guest rewards have never impacted my buying decision on an arcade cabinet. I buy them for the games themselves, not the rewards. It wouldn't bother me at all if they didn't even have rewards, as long as the game itself is good.

That said, I fully agree that item descriptions should spell out, in very plain language, whether or not guest rewards are avaialble. Here's one idea of what the descriptions could say:

This item includes some guest rewards.

This item does not offer guest rewards.

Informed customers are happy customers.

I did vote dissatisfied on this because of the item slot consumption. As I noted in another thread, 27 slots is simply too much real estate to give up for one game, and I really happen to like this one. All of the other cabinets download the game when it's activated...if it's possible for Espionage 9 to do this, that would be a huge win, because I could then add it to my arcade layouts.

As it stands now, this gives me a way to play the game without ongoing ticket costs, which is a plus, but it doesn't work all that well as an arcade cabinet. I hope other developers keep that in mind as they're releasing cabinets. Every cabinet collector I've met in Home likes to have all of them out on display. If they start using up a lot of space, we'll be stuck with arcades that only have three cabinets in them. That cuts down on the fun.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 25 of 31 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
362 posts

Jan 31, 2013

My biggest dissappointment with E9 is the slot usage, although it seems E9 does not use the same programming system/language as the other arcades we currently have and thus does not "load" in game.

MY solution for these full screen active item games would be to allow a smaller number of slots for the 3d structure and activation programming, but once full screen Home can dump all the other furniture in the room out of memory and game could load up to a full rooms worth of slots/memory.  Once out of full screen furniture can reload similair to arriving at a space for the first time.  I am not sure if this is even possible but I would assume IF it is then it would have to come through a core update.

1011 posts

Feb 1, 2013
I ended up getting it just cause I'm a cabinet collector. I agree that the 27 slots usage is a lot. I had to sacrifice a dart board and table for it.
Message 27 of 31 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2013

In regards to all the comments on guest rewards, I think arcade cabinets should maybe have one or two guest rewards, and those rewards are seperate from the owner rewards.

That way owners get unique rewards, while still giving guests a reason to play. Not saying this in regards to E9 especifically, just with arcade games in general.

Also it would be nice if more games had seperate rewards for an owner of a game that you can only get from a friend's machine. Therefore making 3 seperate sets of rewards: guest, owner, and owner-guest.

Message 28 of 31 (217 Views)
I Only Post Everything
841 posts

Feb 1, 2013
Not sure about all..but ive taken 2 of my extra accounts to my club to play espionage 9 and have won rewards from it on both accounts.

Message 29 of 31 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
412 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2013

I for one, think that Espionage 9 is one of the nicest games in Home, and I'm very glad as this game has disappeared in the other regions, that players are given the opportunity to be able to play it in their own apartment. Smiley Happy

It's in it's original form, doesn't cost much, and it can be played whenever you want.

I'll take the high consumption of blocks for granted as I'm sure that nDreams did everything they could to keep it to a minimum. There obviously was no other way. Eitherway, I'm glad another nice game can be played forever, whenever, with or without friends. Smiley Happy

I voted 'very satisfied', and bought it the moment I saw it. Smiley Happy 

Message 30 of 31 (205 Views)