Aug 08 2011
By: Digitman3 Survivor 1454 posts

Orb Runner & Deliberate Game Disruption

[ Edited ]
25 replies 821 views Edited Jul 24, 2012

Like most players, the serious players of this game all start in the same position, the furthest launch pad next to the game starting area.  I hit 1700+ everyday, and it sometimes takes hours, as certain elements must all be in place.  Time and planning (and luck), for me, are the most crucial elements of the game.  The instant I hit x to start the game I am already starting to plan my route.  Before I hit x, I rotate my view outward to see what orbs might materialize in the 3 possible positions at the edge of the island.  If they are gold or purple, they are worth the few seconds to pick them up before hitting the launch pad.  If it's a transporter, I'll keep it in mind for a possible future pick-up, but I have to be able to see what they are to make that determination.

Reset time is the busiest time at Orb Runner.  My above mentioned strategy is often hindered by the multitude of people in the immediate area, as you can't see through people.  I am forced to jump out and quickly rotate my view before determining my initial action.  Although this might only take 1 or 2 seconds, how many games have you finished half a step away from an orb that might have put you on the leaderboard?  It is not these people I am referring to in this article, for they are either playing the game themselves or are engaged in conversation, many unaware they are obscuring someone else's view.

We all know there are people on Home who get their kicks out of ruining other peoples fun.  These are the people I am talking about, one's that wear outfits and position themselves for maximum vision obstruction, and in this article, I am specifically referencing two of them.

The first is an individual who, out of the game, would stand on the launch pad and go into wardrobe.  For hours and hours.  A friend once swore he saw this guy in the exact same spot for over a day.  I'd end up targeting him instead of the game, and of course he'd be blocking part of my view.  Sometimes I would switch instances just to get away from him, sometimes I wouldn't.  But really, why should I have to?  After about the 5th time of witnessing this, I sent an XMB PM to him stating my friends and I did not appreciate what he was doing, and as a (then) level 72 player, he knew exactly what he was doing, and if he continued in this practice, I would report him for game disruption.  He replied to my PM, telling me to "shut ur piehole n get a life, blah, blah, blah...".  He did continue doing this, and after 3 more lengthy episodes, I did report him for game disruption.

The second individual I find guilty of deliberate game disruption is more disturbing and disruptive.  He puts on the biggest outfits Home offers, brings out a companion, and stands just between the game and launch pad.  Easy enough to put the companion on "Hide", but unfortunately I can't do that with him.  He's been doing this a long time.  I've mentioned to him in the past how rude this is, which prompts him to refer to me as a whiner or crybaby, and informs me he bought the outfit, and he has every right to wear it whenever and wherever he likes.  In the past, just the sight of his name floating in the distance would be enough to switch instances.  Two nights ago he had on one of the new jet suits, parked in the usual spot, in the glowing sphere mode.  I found that extremely annoying, as I couldn't see anything when I was near him.  I switched instances, as did my friends.  Last night was the final straw.  I had three friends in the same instance and had no intention of leaving.  This time he had on the new devil-looking outfit with the gigantic outstretched wings, with a companion nearby.  I informed him I was sick of his crap and what he was doing was deliberate game disruption, for which I was going to report him.  He called me the usual names and used the same lame defense of wearing whatever he wanted where and when he wanted.  It was quite crowded there last night, and a number of other normally quiet individuals also voiced their disapproval.  I also saw a few forumer names who witnessed all or part of our exchange, so feel free to chime in.  After about a 15 minute conversation with some other friends, I saw he was still there, in the same spot, dressed the same, so I positioned myself for a good picture and reported him for game disruption.

A point I did not make with him, but I'll bring up here, is I have bought all the upgrades nDreams offers, and I feel I am entitled to play the game without this deliberate disruption, and Aurora is the only place I can do it, whereas he can pick any space in Home to go annoy people.

I PM'ed the HomeForumMods to get their take on this situation, as I don't care to be suspended for filing false reports.  In my opinion this is blatant and deliberate game disruption and I am justified in reporting both individuals.  The HomeForumMods did reply with an opinion, but so as not to influence anyone else's replies, I'll let you know what their determination is later in the thread.

What are your thoughts on this?  Do you consider this game disruption?  I'm I justified in reporting these individuals, or is that going overboard?    DG     

Posted Image
Message 1 of 26 (821 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Re: Orb Runner & Deliberate Game Disruption

Aug 8, 2011

If someone is disrupting your game then type out in the chat box why you feel they are disrupting your game then look right at the person who you are reporting then submit your report.

By typing out what and why you are reporting, this lets the moderation team know what's up. (Please, Do not type out the persons ID) By looking at the person that you are reporting gives the moderation team a clear picture of what the accused is doing, in this case disrupting your game.

If the moderator reading the report reads and see's that it is game disruption then they will deal with it.

Something else that I suggest you do is go to a different instance of Aurora. just a thought.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 2 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29473 posts

Aug 8, 2011

Yes, it is game disruption if someone is blocking your view. If they are doing it intentionally, it is reportable. But before doing that, politely ask the person to move or to stop just as you did. You gave them a chance and they chose not to comply. Therefore your report is justified.

When sending a report such as this, it's a good idea to be sure that your request is in the chat log so that it, and the other person's reply, if given, can be viewed by the Moderators.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 3 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1454 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2012

Thanks for the replies guys.  As I stated, I do instance hop all the time, though I don't feel I should have to.  In the case of documenting actions in the chat log, with the first offender, I sent him chat log PM's documenting everything that had transpired up to that point, knowing he wouldn't read them but the investigating Mod would.  No one else could see this, therefore no one else was disturbed, and the Mods got the full story.  With the second offender, all of his actions were already in the local chat log, as he repeatedly incriminated himself to my accusations of game disruption.  In both cases I made sure to position myself in such a fashion that a perfect picture was taken when I submitted the report.

Posted Image
Message 4 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1395 posts

Aug 8, 2011

It definately aggrevates me to see people disrupting anything in Home but this one seems a little greyish to me. Let's say he's there wearing whatever for whatever reason when you get there and perhaps chatting every now and then even if randomly to passers by but happens to be standing in a spot that might not be the greatest for your score(even if he knows this). If you show up and no one else seems to be upset, do you have the right to even "ask" him to move? I don't think so to be honest. Even if he shows up after you're in a game and gets in that certain area and chats or dances or simply stands, do you have a right to ask him to move or report if he will not? Again, I honestly don't think so.

He's not stopping you from playing at all. He's not even stopping you from seeing the orbs. He happens to be preventing you from the perfect view that you want in a public space. In my opinion, you have no right to report here. Where would you draw the line? Suppose I'm in the CP and want to see a video at just an exact spot and you and some friends happen to be standing there blocking my view...do I have a right to report you for disrupting my experience? That's basically what you're doing.

Message 5 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Aug 8, 2011

Hey Digi! Agreed, it is annoying to me as well, but I'm just trying to score over 1500 each day and get as close to maximum XP as possible. I think I know which individual you were referring to that went into wardrobe in the most annoying place possible for that game.

The problem is that I doubt if the people who are deliberately blocking the game actually read the forums.

Message 6 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1454 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2012

Some valid points Elway, and it's taken many, not just 1 or 2, occasions of the same thing before I reported him.  He is a high level player, so he knows what he is doing.  He has never been in conversation with anyone, and often has the "Back soon..." over his head.  He is blocking my view, as I must quickly move around him to see the edge of the island.  There is no vantage point in this area that he is not at least partially blocking.  If he causes me to lose even 2 seconds, that's 2 seconds I'm going to miss out at the end of the game.

You can't read people's minds to know what their intent is, but you can surmise what it is by the frequency of their actions, and the blatant disregard of the numerous requests, not just from me, to move.  Someone just standing there, by themself, being requested by numerous people to move, is just there for trouble.  There is absolutely nothing in that area to do but play the game, or hang with friends, and as I stated, he is always alone, and not playing the game.

Funny, I just thought of this.  I've never seen him play the game in any of those outfits.  Maybe because he'd be blocking his own view if he did?

And if you ever find me in your way, just ask, I'll move.  I was unaware once I was interfering with a photoshoot.  When asked to move, I left the instance, no problem.

Posted Image
Message 7 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Aug 8, 2011

Given that this individual is deliberately attempting to keep others from executing a strategy to beat the game, I'd call this a classic example of game disruption. The fact that he's there time and time again, when there's an entire public space where he can stand, shows his intent.

I'd even be inclined to go a step further and call it cheating, because he's clearly trying to prevent others from using a strategy that he knows is effective.

I've made the mistake of carrying on conversations in that particular spot, and I've been yelled at by serious Orb Runner players for doing it. On the rare occasions when that's happened, I've always apologized and moved to a different area. This user should be doing the same, and if he's not, then it's reasonable to assume that he's there to disrupt others.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 8 of 26 (821 Views)
Fender Bender
2961 posts

Aug 8, 2011

Since day one people have been doing this. At times due to what flavor of errors are going on in Home. They can physically stop you this doesn't happen too often but still very disturbing at times. Ever since the first day in Home this seems to be the number one pass time for the miscreants.

Saucer pop, siren there will always be somebody getting their kicks by ruining your game. Didn't you ever wonder why it is so hard sometimes getting the alcove in siren? It took me awhile to figure this out. There are people who go there for one reason only. Simply put ruin everybody's day by being killed off right away. It's a reflection of what this society is today...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Message 9 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1395 posts

Aug 8, 2011

If I was there and standing chatting and someone asked me to move so they could get a better view then I would gladly do so, but NOT because I feel like I have to. If you ask them to move and they say No, I still feel like that it their right to do so. Again, he's not stopping you from playing or collecting those orbs(if there areany there).

I have actually chatted with digit in Aurora and he's a nice guy for sure but I don't agree there's a right to report here. I think truth be told, there was baiting from both sides after it started as a result of frustration. You do have 24 hours to work on that score after all...

Message 10 of 26 (821 Views)
0 Likes