Uncharted Territory
1399 posts

Re: Option to disable auto-storage, other suggestions

Jun 2, 2013
My favorite caveat in the op was the search option. I think this would be very helpful to me.
Message 11 of 18 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2215 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013

UltraPSX wrote:

Brises_0000 wrote:

The thing is, I think the storage section takes up a smaller memory footprint, and if all that stuff were in regular inventory, it would really slow down performance more than it already is. And for anyone like me, who has far more items in storage than in regular inventory, it would create an organizing nightmare. If the option existed, I would not use it without better organizing tools. I'm pretty sure Sony gave us storage because they didn't want to give us a delete option.

Regardless, I kinda doubt we will see any more significant core changes to PS3 Home. And if there is a PS4 Home, it will most likely be a different build altogether.

I don't think that memory is reduced in storage because item for item, it seems to load at the same speed for me. But I never really considered that...

If I were to guess why auto-storage exists, is that they feel new users aren't aware of storage, so they need to do it for us. But I think once users are familiar with how storage works, they will appreciate the ability to turn off auto-storage and handle it themselves. If not, an indication of how full your inventory is would be helpful. For example, the furniture slot indicator they added much later helps a lot when decorating. Just do something similar for the various inventories.

The auto storage exists because regular inventory has a cap and when you reach that cap and try to add something else... Well you get it. Sure, if you are in the store making a purchase, it could ask you what you want to remove and take you to an inventory screen, but this would most likely greatly increase the lag time that is already a very special part of the shopping experience.

My idea would be to do away with storage all together and allow us to make our own categories for organizing, and include a delete function which first goes to a trash folder. Going through the process of deleting something permanently would require enough steps that it would be very hard for someone to do it accidentally. And if it happens, Sony can hardly be responsible for compensating stupidity.

Message 12 of 18 (140 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
676 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Brises_0000 wrote:

The auto storage exists because regular inventory has a cap and when you reach that cap and try to add something else... Well you get it. Sure, if you are in the store making a purchase, it could ask you what you want to remove and take you to an inventory screen, but this would most likely greatly increase the lag time that is already a very special part of the shopping experience.

My idea would be to do away with storage all together and allow us to make our own categories for organizing, and include a delete function which first goes to a trash folder. Going through the process of deleting something permanently would require enough steps that it would be very hard for someone to do it accidentally. And if it happens, Sony can hardly be responsible for compensating stupidity.

I agree, custom categories would be great, but the way the interface is dumbed down I really doubt this will happen. However I hope they eventually give the tools to power users, for example have a choice between "easy" and "advanced" interface where we can customize things a lot more.

The current inventory cap is unecessary because unlike the 100 furniture limit (limited by PS3 memory), items only load on demand. If you scroll up and down, you will only notice a page or two loading at one time. So you could have 1000 items in one category (*ahem* T-shirts) and you won't run out of memory. The only reason I think they did auto-storage is because they don't trust we'll put our own items in storage, and think we'll complain about scrolling through so many items.

However, having an inventory that's a little unwieldy is much better than the auto-storage nightmare, where one minute I'm wondering where my favorite clothing item disappeared to, find it in storage and try to move it back, but now get the message that my regular inventory is too full :smileymad: So now I have to exit back out to inventory, move some things to storage, before finally being able to go back to storage and restore the items to regular inventory. Rinse and repeat.

It would be much better if they had no limit, and if needed a small message at the bottom that your inventory is getting large and to consider using storage. That would be more than enough to remind me to do a little housekeeping. With the limit, an item counter is sorely needed.

Message 13 of 18 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
582 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah I've been asking for a way to reorder/favourite personal spaces for months (years?) now... not to mention the inventory system itself which is a complete mess and auto-storage just makes it even more annoying. Fixing these should take priority over all other updates, because people buy less knowing it ends up in a disorganized pile, and in fact everything you buy just makes the situation worse and worse. Adding favourites for personal spaces in particular would be such a simple thing to add.

Message 14 of 18 (105 Views)
Fender Bender
2215 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

I think with the PS4 we can hope for a lot. Sony may be hearing us, but has no plans to add certain features to the PS3 version because of system limitations. That's what I am hoping anyway. Current wardrobe/inventory management is a nightmare.

BTW: I just make sure my wardrobe is never close to the max. For example, I rarely use a male avatar for any reason, so as I get rewards I periodically go to the male side and purge everything into storage. That essentially doubles the capacity on the female side. But occasionally I do reach the cap and something else goes to storage. Then I just choose several more items to put there.

Message 15 of 18 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4279 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Brises_0000 wrote:

I think with the PS4 we can hope for a lot. Sony may be hearing us, but has no plans to add certain features to the PS3 version because of system limitations. That's what I am hoping anyway. Current wardrobe/inventory management is a nightmare.

This just highlights the BIGGEST problem with how Home is being managed and why it desperately needs new leadership.

Communication / Customer Relations

It doesn't really exist any more.  The best we can hope for is to see the occasional post from GlassWalls promoting new content or making what he thinks is a funny joke.  Try and get anyone from the Home staff to respond to requests, suggestions, and issues with the service is like trying to pull teeth from an alligator.

If there are limitations to what they can do, then they should say so (and make it a sticky), and explain in detail why.  As we have seen them make claims before that something wasn't possible only to see it added later.  Bottom line - don't lie to your customers.

If they are working on it, let us know.

The silent treatment doesn't work, and someone at Sony should tell that to our Home team - or fire them and hire people who understand the value of customer relations.

Many of the often requested changes to the service are clearly very easy to do - like allowing us to tag personal spaces as favorites, sorting Inventory items (LMOs & Companions) by Last Used (just as we can with our other item folders).  Adding the same sort and filter options for all our folders... and yes, even adding a 2nd storage folder that isn't a spillover...   Among many other simple changes that would drastically improve the service.

But not only have they not done any of this, they wont even comment about it.

Home is one of the worst run software projects I have ever personally experienced.  It wasn't always this way, as things were much better run the first couple years, but since then communication, customer service, support, and system reliability have fallen drastically.

If the people currently in charge can't figure this out, then Sony needs to bring in a new team who can.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 16 of 18 (80 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4279 posts

Jun 3, 2013

The impression I get from our current Home staff is that they are acting like they are on a slowly sinking ship, and just doing the minimum to collect their pay checks until the ship finally goes under.  They certainly do not give me the impression that they take a lot of pride in their job, nor do they act like there is a bright future ahead of them in the position they are in.

However, I also know its possible for them to change that impression, but so far it doesn't appear they have any interest in doing so.  

At this rate, I'll be very surprised if Home is even up and running a year from now... Or if it is still running, I suspect it will be mostly populated by drifters and hackers, and a few die hard loyalists unwilling to cut ties.

This is not to say I believe it's too late to save Home.  Far from it.  I still see tremendous potential in the service.  But with every passing month as I see old issues going unresolved and new ones popping up, and no improvement in customer relations and communication - my faith that Sony even knows what they are doing any more continues to dwindle away.

The fact that Sony still labels Home as a beta project, even after all these years, yet they no longer support it like they did in the early years, and like most beta projects are supported - suggests to me that they are close to giving up on it.  I hope I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get from their actions (and/or lack thereof).

There have been rumors that Sony may hand over management of Home to one of the 3rd party developers, and while unlikely - at this point, maybe that would be the best thing for everyone.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 17 of 18 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1924 posts

Jun 4, 2013

For what's it's worth, I think they just need to delete the auto move to storage at the start of wardrobe or moving furniture. And just don't let  us leave furniture/wardrobe until we move enough into storage.

:smileyhappy:

Message 18 of 18 (45 Views)
0 Likes