Sep 05 2013
By: macediggity I Only Post Everything 446 posts

Ok pshome peeps.. opinions on SSD/ Hybrid / or just 7200 hdd

[ Edited ]
16 replies 220 views Edited Sep 5, 2013

So how many if any have changed theirs to ssd or hybrid? IF so any feedback?  Just curious..

bob-maul wrote:
It was like me trying to prove Half Life 3's existence by finding three bananas in my fruit bowl.
Message 1 of 17 (220 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Re: Ok pshome peeps.. opinions on SSD/ Hybrid / or just 7200 hhd

Sep 5, 2013

its sticky and ickey
Message 2 of 17 (201 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Sep 5, 2013
Oops, stupid mobile version... Double posting lol.... I personally run SSD in my ps3 unit... The difference made in home is outstanding, in games it's little lack luster, better off with standard HDD. Hybrid systems work with caching commonly used items within flash area, I believe the requires some basic OS level interactions that ps3 wouldn't do. However I don't use hybrid HDDs in any of my work, 1 or the other for me. If ur main objective is ps home, good SSD will serve you well. I run samsung, Intel and OCZ SSDs in my ps3... Very equally. This is because the ps3's SATA controller is helplessly crippled. Installing games and all that, SSD will knock off a few minutes but not a staggering change. As I said for home.. Been a dream, few hiccups but I blame more on sony's end. 120gb Samsung 840 EVO will serve u well with storage capacity and speed for home. My 2 cents... And yes, some will know me. using my alternate ID here lol.
its sticky and ickey
Message 3 of 17 (192 Views)
I Only Post Everything
446 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Thanks Conchetta Smiley Very Happy  I'm aware the ps3 basically can't even begin to take full advantage of the SSD as it would in say...my Mac Book Pro. However aside from Uncharted 3 or a random game or two I use my ps3 for pshome and looking to smooth out my experience on home as much as possible. My internet is pretty stable for the most part, #'s are decent, but I'm running an old skool ps3 FAT with the original 80g still serving it well, for the most part.  For as long as pshome is around might as well treat myself to a faster experience.   One more thing, any maintenance, or other "things" I need to need to maintain the performance? I know NOT to defrag ect ect...I figure better to ask.

I appreciate the quick response!

bob-maul wrote:
It was like me trying to prove Half Life 3's existence by finding three bananas in my fruit bowl.
Message 4 of 17 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Re: Ok pshome peeps.. opinions on SSD/ Hybrid / or just 7200 hdd

Sep 5, 2013
Well this biggest issue with slapping a SSD within your PS3... Nothing you or ps3 will or can do to benefit it. I tried to and still am looking for SSD that is able to self TRIM. But even the ones that do say they do, need instructions to do so. The ps3 doesn't do not need defagging. Basically filesystem differences.(reason you Mac doesn't have native defragmenter, doesn't need it). Ps3's Filesystem is called JAS, built to be for lack of terms "durable" than many others, base on being consistent and capable, not really performance .. Once it's in you ps3, it basically be like an HDD and treated like such, watever happens on HDD happens on SSD... That's why suggest getting a good or with good controller on board. Samsung and intel are top 2 I would pick in scenario where crippled, OCZ is next I would pick, simple cuz never get wat u pay for...

Now onto endlessly speaking my mind........... If you want tiniest extra over other SSDs performance an willing to caught up extra dough, Samsung 240GB or 500GB. But I doubt ever ever see it on ps3 being a gain over simple 120GB. On computer cuz it has more NAND flash DIE and 2 controllers is can push 100mb/sec faster over then 120gb. But on a computer I never tried 240GB SSD lol..
its sticky and ickey
Message 5 of 17 (167 Views)
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Sep 5, 2013
I mean on ps3 I never tried 240GB.... On computer was for the last sentence. English isn't my strong suit. I'm Italian.
its sticky and ickey
Message 6 of 17 (162 Views)
I Only Post Everything
446 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Your English is VASTLY far more superior than 70% of the people on Home!  But I'm "picking up what your laying down".                  Sounds as if the trim can not, and is not, supported on the ps3 side of things. SoooOo the ssd can never really meet itz true potential overall. Got it. Sounds like I will shoot for the intel or samsung 840 I believe you said and roll with that just for the heck of it. I know the ssd does NOT like to re-write on over and over, but hey I'll I just back up everything on a regular bases and understand at this time and age SSD is still a relatively new product .

Cookie, again thank you SOOOOOO much!! 

bob-maul wrote:
Message 7 of 17 (155 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Sep 5, 2013
Lol! Yes no problem! Smiley Happy and as for reading and rewriting in same area... That's why get SSD not a flash card like an SD card.. SSD has spill over area allows it to dump old stuff an write in same area. More effective way to handle "wear leveling". Also be on look out if your in market for your computers within next few years, "3D NAND flash" means able to stack and layer the data :3
its sticky and ickey
Message 8 of 17 (145 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Sep 5, 2013

CookieConchetta wrote:
Well this biggest issue with slapping a SSD within your PS3... Nothing you or ps3 will or can do to benefit it.

Wrong. There are gains in seek and write times. Several games benefit from SSDs. Home not so much.

CookieConchetta wrote:
The ps3 doesn't do not need defagging.

Double negative?

Every file system eventually needs defragging, including ext.

CookieConchetta wrote:
Ps3's Filesystem is called JAS

The PS3 uses a proprietary version of UFS2.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 9 of 17 (141 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
446 posts

Sep 5, 2013

StardustChampion wrote:

Wrong. There are gains in seek and write times. Several games benefit from SSDs. Home not so much.

Every file system eventually needs defragging, including ext.

The PS3 uses a proprietary version of UFS2.

Thank you for your input Stardust, what  is YOUR personal input on the advantage vs disadvantages of a SSD in the playstation for light gaming, heavy pshome usage? Any feedback is appreciated.

bob-maul wrote:
Message 10 of 17 (131 Views)
0 Likes